List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

If Darling can play his first year with us it will go a long way to developing another tall forwards. The only 1 l would be keeping is Teakle who l believe shows more potential and is the best of CCJ, Biggie, and Pink. Then in Darlings 2nd year unless he is playing well should be playing mostly in the VFL.
Ok, but I'm not really convinced by the idea that Darling will significantly help others (that we don't have yet) develop. It's unlikely that both Darling and a kid will be playing in the firsts together. In which case, Darling is really just an extra development coach, we don't need to use a list spot on someone for this role.

Club is going to do what the club is going to do, I wouldn't get worked up over it. I think our bigger issue is the lack of leadership and mature bodies in the midfield and a poor system of going inside 50. In games the midfield has done well, we haven't had problems scoring. It is when we struggle in the middle that things get ugly.

I think Darling would be an upgrade over Teakle but likely a minor one and for maybe a year or so, I think it has to be more about his transition into coaching. I think Clarkson wants him to teach the other forwards about the art of being a froward, in terms of leading, etc and we are kind of dogshit at it, even Larkey just refuses to lead at times.

So it is what it is. If it is for a late pick then meh, whatevs.

Last edited:
History says you need 3.6 fourth rounders to get a 50 game player. Doesn't sound like a great strategy for buying us a year while our promising draftee readies himself.

And yet, in his annus horribilis, JD still outperformed Teakle.

View attachment 2107067

But sure, lets got to the draft and get our next Hartung, Mountford or Crocker. What a compelling alternative. I can see why so many are getting fired about about it.
Comparing A 40yo to a 10 gamer?

Those hitouts look like a fair disparity.

And with 20% less game time.

Do we back our S&C staff to get him fit and on the park regularly in 25'? That's a good question to throw out there.
No right or wrong answers.

Also, the guy might feel rejuvenated with a move and could rediscover some good footy (like Gunston as mentioned earlier). Who knows.

Do we back our S&C staff to get him fit and on the park regularly in 25'? That's a good question to throw out there.
No right or wrong answers.

Also, the guy might feel rejuvenated with a move and could rediscover some good footy (like Gunston as mentioned earlier). Who knows.
He barely misses with injury as it is

I’m kind of coming around to Darling. Premiership player, All Australian I think, kicked over 500 goals and probably a small part of the parcel is he helps us hit our 95% or 100% TPP, depends what we’ve been paying the last 3 years. Also I forgot Clarko brought in a retired Stuart Dew once upon a time, I think it’s fair to say Darling is in a bit better nick then what Dew was - I’m sure Clarko knows what he is doing, as that one worked out okay too.

P.S I remember his nick name from that issue before he was drafted was “wild thing” - I can get around that.

Ok, but I'm not really convinced by the idea that Darling will significantly help others (that we don't have yet) develop. It's unlikely that both Darling and a kid will be playing in the firsts together. In which case, Darling is really just an extra development coach, we don't need to use a list spot on someone for this role.
How much has Darling helped West Coasts forward line? I’d argue minimally (except when they play us), so why would we expect it to help our forward line?

I’m fine with the Darling acquisition if it’s Darling vs Pink. However, I’d be far happier if we took a Hawthorn approach by focusing on how we play rather then expecting to find a mature Band-Aid that’s going to block an artery.

Hoyneys analysis last night was excellent. They found a young KPF that competes and focused on front half ground ball players. We honestly seem to be doing the opposite, which is concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we won't know if he's what we need until he pulls on the jumper. A fresh challenge might invigorate him, or he might well be completely cooked.

It's looks like we're going to find out one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
On the other hand, the strategy might be to recruit a key forward who is so cooked that he isn't even capable of competing with Larkey in marking contests or with Curtis for the ground ball.

I can see how that would improve the team performance.

How much has Darling helped West Coasts forward line? I’d argue minimally (except when they play us), so why would we expect it to help our forward line?

I’m fine with the Darling acquisition if it’s Darling vs Pink. However, I’d be far happier if we took a Hawthorn approach by focusing on how we play rather then expecting to find a mature Band-Aid that’s going to block an artery.

Hoyneys analysis last night was excellent. They found a young KPF that competes and focused on front half ground ball players. We honestly seem to be doing the opposite, which is concerning.
Yeah, I worry that Clarkson has been using this need for experienced players line as cover for his own failings. This year's game plan was exposed after half a game. This was a bigger problem than not having senior players to execute it, he needs to acknowledge that and change tack.

Teakle's 25 this year.

Unless you think there's a long term future for Brynn at the club, they're both stop gaps, so I reckon the comparison is fair.
I actually do re Teakle.

Darling  was a very good player but he's a surprising move for mine.

Its an indictment on the list managers that 4 years later as discussed, we need to reinstate senior presence and could still rightly cut about 10 players.

Back to where we started apart from swapping out 2-3 qualitu 30yo's for quality 2-3 20yo's. In terms of walk up Best 22 players.

Yeah, I worry that Clarkson has been using this need for experienced players line as cover for his own failings. This year's game plan was exposed after half a game. This was a bigger problem than not having senior players to execute it, he needs to acknowledge that and change tack.
My commentary around this issue isn’t made up. People don’t love the negativity, I get it. But the commentary I am hearing around this idea of experience solving a lot of our issues is really concerning.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back