List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the sentiment. We’re all sick of where we are.

But heck me if we end up emerging out of the wilderness into an endless cycle of mid table nothingness, all the pain will not feel worth it.

There is nothing, and I repeat, nothing that says teams are somehow arbitrarily capped mid table if they neglect to undertake a total root and branch rebuild. Our extended mediocrity under Scott and the sunk cost of all these years of total dogshit have conditioned way too many of us to believe that the only way to earn any sort of success is to balance it out with years of pain.

There is nothing, and I repeat, nothing that says teams are somehow arbitrarily capped mid table if they neglect to undertake a total root and branch rebuild. Our extended mediocrity under Scott and the sunk cost of all these years of total dogshit have conditioned way too many of us to believe that the only way to earn any sort of success is to balance it out with years of pain.
You can certainly pay mid table a visit......nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

W80 moved with silk, his ground ball handling and general hand and foot skills, plus athleticism is not comparable. Also, W80 NEVER ducked his head in a marking contest. Darling poos his pants when he hears footsteps. No deal
How many games experience did W80 come with? How many flags had he won before he arrived?

There are pros and cons to each argument. We weren’t coming off five wins from the past three years when Waite arrived at Norf. We are in the position of crisis where it’s hard to attract any players at all to North because of our on field success. Darling brings leadership and work rate with experience. Something we are lacking to the point where it’s costing us games.

Yes he isnt that 50 goal a year forward anymore but who is he holding out of the side….? Do we gift games to an 18 year old and continue to get belted every week? Or do we add some experience to allow the 18 year olds learn their craft and build confidence, whilst taking some of the heat off Larkey when we are going forward?

You don't have an alternative for the pick so you're just venting.

Fact of the matter is we need to replace a lot of players with not very many picks, and we're hardly a free agent destination club. If you wanna get grumpy that we aren't landing prime Buddy with a fourth rounder, go right ahead.

Darling it hurts to see you down in the trade thread tonight.

You don't have an alternative for the pick so you're just venting.

Fact of the matter is we need to replace a lot of players with not very many picks, and we're hardly a free agent destination club. If you wanna get grumpy that we aren't landing prime Buddy with a fourth rounder, go right ahead.

Darling it hurts to see you down in the trade thread tonight.

Zondor isn't wrong though. Darling is a washed up hack who will just end up being yet another player clogging up our list for way longer than he should be. 2 years? He's finished now. Another preseason into Teakle and he will be a far better option. He's got a lot more going for him right now than Darling has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zondor isn't wrong though. Darling is a washed up hack who will just end up being yet another player clogging up our list for way longer than he should be. 2 years? He's finished now. Another preseason into Teakle and he will be a far better option. He's got a lot more going for him right now than Darling has.
After Darling kicks his first 20 snags for us, he'll be in the top 50 goal-kickers of all-time.

For a hack, gotta say that's pretty impressive.

The reason I am happy with Darling (and Parker obviously) if it happens is because it means we are finally serious about winning games, not merely accumlating games into kids and top draft picks

Last edited:
As I've said, if we proceed with this it's an admission of total failure of the senior playing group at the football club imo.

The time for recruiting 32 and 33 year olds for next season on the basis of "experience" only should be long in the rear view mirror imo.

What are we paying the following the big bucks for then?

Corr (31)
McDonald (30)
Tucker (28)
Fisher (27)
Larkey (27)
Logue (27)
Simpkin (27)
Zurhaar (27)
Xerri (26)
LDU (26)

Almost half the starting 22 will have been in the system for close to a decade next season.

A big chunk of the above should be on the trade block if we go this route, as they clearly aren't providing leadership, professional example etc and more than half of them certainly aren't earning their pay cheques on the ground based on their performances....

We might sign LDU and Zurhaar on a combined $1.8-$2m a season within a few months of each and we are going out looking for 30+ year olds to set examples for our younger players?

What?!
100% that should be ample on field experience and as i posted here this should be something close to the team we're looking to drive us into final come 2027, which is only 46 games away.

Its one thing to look back and saying more experience would've helped, but next year everyone is one more year experienced. If we want to be fair dinkum in 27 we need games into that group.

Forwards, are better with Elmo's experience, extra preseason and better understanding leading patterns. Duursma will impact more and we should be looking at adding pace which will help (McKercher). Plus possibly Chom forward.
Mids: LDU, Powell, Wardlaw, Sheezel + Simpkin, Phillips and possible new pick dont need protection. They need experience.
Backs: Logue, Dawson x 2, Corr and McDonald should be plenty. With LMac likely in a phasing out year. Corr probably 2-3 left. But also being phased out in 26. Then Fisher, Tucker, Bergman, Archer, Hardeman filling in the rest. The last 3 of those will be much better next year and we need games into them.
Wings: Stephens, Scott, Goater and who knows maybe Stevo is again plenty and its game/ system time not protection they need.

Maybe one, being Parker might be ok but i have my doubts because he plays a lot forward after taking a center square and plays more like a med more than a pressure fwd. In the style of Zurhaar, Curtis and Simpkin.

Id prefer us to stay the course in the draft for now and later picks are ideal for trying to unlock more crafty small forwards like Stevo and/or even baby Wahl.

The reason I am happy with Darling (and Parker obviously) if it happens is because it means we are finally seroius about winning games, not merely accumlating games into kids and top draft picks
As posted we should already have enough experience, and if we're to be ready in a serious way by 2027 they'll need games. None of the players earmarked will make any contribution 27 onward.

The reason I am happy with Darling (and Parker obviously) if it happens is because it means we are finally seroius about winning games, not merely accumlating games into kids and top draft pick

Exactly. These acquisitions are about getting us 6-8 wins.

They won’t be holding back kids.

We’ll still be bottom 4 or there abouts.

We we still add to our young talent pool via the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back