List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The thought that getting Darling means the club thinks we don’t need to draft a KPF scares the absolute bejesus out of me.

It doesn’t mean that at all it probably means the opposite - probably means we have someone earmarked either on the list or in the draft that we need to protect for a few years.

The thought that getting Darling means the club thinks we don’t need to draft a KPF scares the absolute bejesus out of me.
If we are getting Darling then it's because we'll be taking a KPF at the draft and it negates any pressure for that draftee to have to perform from day one, buys them 12 – 18 months development time.

Not a fan of Darling nor do I think he's gonna do much for us.

But he would be our third best KPF on the list, and ultimately pushes someone worse out of the best 22. Second best if Comben stays back.
Perfect time to start W.Dawson into the mix down back. 2 preseasons under his belt along with Logue and Corr. Allows Chom up fwd and probably save $1.2m over 2 years by not spending on Darling to frontload more. Then in a year or two get a FA who will make a long term difference.

It doesn’t mean that at all it probably means the opposite - probably means we have someone earmarked either on the list or in the draft that we need to protect for a few years.
The “thought” in my post = the “possibility”. People are just making assumptions that it’ll be a one/two year deal and it’s to protect the kids that we don’t even have.

If recruiting Darling is part of some long term strategy I’m fine with it. I’ll wait and see though. Fool me once etc.

Perfect time to start W.Dawson into the mix down back. 2 preseasons under his belt along with Logue and Corr. Allows Chom up fwd and probably save $1.2m over 2 years saved not spending on Darling to frontload more. Then in a year or two get a FA who will make a long term difference.

I think this is the way they're moving. Darling chops out Larkey and helps Chom, Dawson is going to get plenty of game time next year. Would be unimaginable we get past that second pick (as it stands) without one KPP drafted. Then when we're in the position to strike both on field and financially target established talls which was Clarko's Hawks MO.

Massive risk offering an F1 for Houston, I'd want something coming with Houston to do that.
That would be the starting point of negotiations...You have to start somewhere and picks further down would be included

After Darling kicks his first 20 snags for us, he'll be in the top 50 goal-kickers of all-time.

For a hack, gotta say that's pretty impressive.

Yes, but we're getting the 32 year old version, not the 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the conundrum.

Why would a born and bred Perth local move himself and his whole family over to the other side of the country to play AFL/VFL in a bottom team for only 2 years, when he can get paid $800k to stay home and play WAFL?

I just don't see it..
Maybe pride, self-belief, determination to prove his detractors wrong? A competitive spirit?

All things we could do with more of on our list I reckon.

As I've said, if we proceed with this it's an admission of total failure of the senior playing group at the football club imo.

The time for recruiting 32 and 33 year olds for next season on the basis of "experience" only should be long in the rear view mirror imo.

What are we paying the following the big bucks for then?

Corr (31)
McDonald (30)
Tucker (28)
Fisher (27)
Larkey (27)
Logue (27)
Simpkin (27)
Zurhaar (27)
Xerri (26)
LDU (26)

Almost half the starting 22 will have been in the system for close to a decade next season.

A big chunk of the above should be on the trade block if we go this route, as they clearly aren't providing leadership, professional example etc and more than half of them certainly aren't earning their pay cheques on the ground based on their performances....

We might sign LDU and Zurhaar on a combined $1.8-$2m a season within a few months of each and we are going out looking for 30+ year olds to set examples for our younger players?

What?!
The above list can be divided into two groups. a) Blokes we've recruited from other clubs on the basis of whoever agreed to come, not first choice, and b) our own home grown players who haven't learned the right leadership and culture as there hasn't been any at the club for years.

Can’t confirm but Keep hearing that Sleevo’s gorn - outski - with one year left on contract.
"can't confirm" and "source close to the pin" are two different things - your intelligence of the second variety? And wouldn't be surprised - clearly on the outer with Clarko, dropped multiple times etc

Darling is at a club that is shit. he’s working wonders there?. Smh. No Deal
Their problem is their list is old. Our problem is our list is young and inexperienced. He has Waterman and Allen infront of him at WCE. At Norf he’d have Larkey. Who’s he keeping out of the side if he plays for us…?

The narrative that he's a "hack" or never been any good is absolute horse shit.

Now, whether he's finished is another argument.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Going by the way he plays against us (I don't watch too many other WC games) he is still in his prime ;)

Not a fan of Darling nor do I think he's gonna do much for us.

But he would be our third best KPF on the list, and ultimately pushes someone worse out of the best 22. Second best if Comben stays back.

I suspect he's being brought in to mentor any KPFs we do draft.

"can't confirm" and "source close to the pin" are two different things - your intelligence of the second variety? And wouldn't be surprised - clearly on the outer with Clarko, dropped multiple times etc
One of my passengers on the tram this morning / he’d heard it from the bloke who runs the coffee cart at Arden St. So pretty solid intel, I’d say …

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back