List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't matter. At least we put our hat in the ring
I agree; I have no problem with what the club is doing to bring in experience.

We need to understand that we must pay a 20-30% premium against other Vic clubs to get players to consider our football club, whether that be the trade offer and certainly the money offer.

Nick Haynes is a perfect example and would be ideal for us. The club has probably offered him two years with a trigger for a third. Carlton has offered him one year; he has chosen Carlton.

What is the club supposed to do?

As for Darling, in the worst case, he is an upgrade on Toby Pink, certainly an upgrade on Sellers and brings some experience.

Unfortunately, Charlie Curnow isn't an option despite many on this board thinking we could grab players of his ilk with a future 1st lol.

In a spooky coincidence, Melbourne paid pick 6 for Stephen May (don’t count that the other Kolojazni was thrown in). And 10 and a future first for Jake Lever. At some point if you want to get quality in with plenty of miles still ahead, and you can get them interested, you have to pay for it.

I honestly don’t feel as though North is yet at a point where we can attract high calibre or be ready to maximise the value of it when it arrives, but that’s a different discussion than whether a well performed player in their prime is worth high draft picks. They are.
IMO we should wait another year and then trade for players.

I have zero desire to trade with port regardless of what is on offer.

put a moratorium on trading with them until after we have had a top 4 finish.

They have either f*ed us or tried to f* us on every deal we have done with them for a decade.
North Melbourne Afl GIF by NMFCOfficial

In a spooky coincidence, Melbourne paid pick 6 for Stephen May (don’t count that the other Kolojazni was thrown in). And 10 and a future first for Jake Lever. At some point if you want to get quality in with plenty of miles still ahead, and you can get them interested, you have to pay for it.

I honestly don’t feel as though North is yet at a point where we can attract high calibre or be ready to maximise the value of it when it arrives, but that’s a different discussion than whether a well performed player in their prime is worth high draft picks. They are.
Spot on

We need to understand that we must pay a 20-30% premium against other Vic clubs to get players to consider our football club, whether that be the trade offer and certainly the money offer.

Nick Haynes is a perfect example and would be ideal for us. The club has probably offered him two years with a trigger for a third. Carlton has offered him one year; he has chosen Carlton.

As for Darling, in the worst case, he is an upgrade on Toby Pink, certainly an upgrade on Sellers and brings some experience.

Unfortunately, Charlie Curnow isn't an option despite many on this board thinking we could grab players of his ilk with a future 1st lol.

While I agree to some degree the example of Haynes is made up. Nothing to suggest we even picked up the phone to him this year, and nor should we with our defence stabilising short term.

It will all get a lot easier once we start winning.

He has no interest in coming to us anyway! This board's ability to overestimate our bargaining position as a club when it comes to drafting and obsession with draft pick value is astounding.
He might not have any interest in coming to us but if we give Poort an offer they like, then ,seeing as Houston just seems to want to come back to Victoria then Poort might just say "go to North or stay with us"...

They have either f*ed us or tried to f* us on every deal we have done with them for a decade.

Ok noted, will let Will and Brady do on your behalf then!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has no interest in coming to us anyway! This board's ability to overestimate our bargaining position as a club when it comes to drafting and obsession with draft pick value is astounding.

It all depends though doesn't it? Port will deal with highest bidder and if he wants to come back home he goes to whoever Port decide. If not he simply stays at Port. His club have the power, he merely has a choice or Port or home

Pleases tell me who hasn't?

The balancing act is that we can’t just wait, we have to use the next year to put ourselves into a a better spot to attract and trade for players we want.

Yes and no. First and foremost we need to use everything at our disposal to climb the ladder. Not only are we losing young kids as supporters every single year while we are down the bottom, no in-demand player will agree to come to us while we are rooted in the bottom 4 with 3 wins.

If we wait another year and win under 5 games again, we will be in exactly the same position, struggling to attract anyone with a pulse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah hawks waited until they were down the bottom for a couple of years before trading didn't they... what about bris

You don't choose to wait... you maybe forced to wait as players may not come but you have to at least try not just sit back and not bother with an attitude of no-one will come so I'll wait

While I agree to some degree the example of Haynes is made up. Nothing to suggest we even picked up the phone to him this year, and nor should we with our defence stabilising short term.

It will all get a lot easier once we start winning.
You are right I am speculating on Nick; we know we offered Nathan Broad a big deal though, so considering Haynes is coming home and is a similar age and plays a similar role it would be highly highly unlikely we wouldn't of spoken to him and been prepared to offer 2 years.

Who is saying that?

Dan Houston isn't in the same stratosphere as Curnow either.

I don't agree. I'd be more than willing to give them the steam off our piss, provided a first rounder and/or a very good player was coming back the other way.

I'm not sure why the potential Darling deal is causing so much division and angst. He isn't a needle mover either way for mine. We won't be giving up anything by way of trade capital, and can comfortably fit him in the cap. He might not make us better, but i can't see him making us worse. Shiels was "washed" and retired when he came to North, and ended up playing a lot of footy. If Darling plays 20 games across two years, and is able to provide some experience and direction on track during the week, it feels like a low risk move.

User name doesn't check out.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back