Remove this Banner Ad

Hardeman Corr Archer
Macrae Logue Goater
McKercher Davies-Uniacke Scott
Xerri Sheezel Parker
Duursma Comben Simpkin
Curtis Larkey Darling

Teakle Powell Wardlaw Zurhaar

I see it differently. Macrae is a midfielder only. If he is to go to another club, that is what he will want. It suits us anyway because we need a big bodied midfielder in there for support.

I see Parker as being a fwd/ mid. Same sort of role we've been trying to use Jy in with varying success. Playing forward, you can bet your bottom dollar that Parker will be keeping our forwards honest in terms of workrate and sticking to structures. He then rotates into the midfield when Macrae is having a rest.

If we're going to play Comben forward then I don't see a spot for Darling. Besides, the way the game is trending suggests teams will be more so playing 2 tall forwards rather than 3. Still think Comben is more value for us down back especially to match up on the Daniher, Darcy, King types where Logue and Corr are a touch too short. Plus he has a better intercept game than those two.

Comben Logue Archer
Hardeman Corr Goater

McKercher LDU Scott
Xerri Sheezel Macrae

Parker Teakle Zurhaar
Curtis Larkey Rosas/ Owies

Powell Wardlaw Simpkin Duursma

Last edited:

Well, Darling was AA as 2nd banana, and if our players start actually running to the right spots in our forward line (instead of the same one), that might be a plus.

I noted Duursma actually got on his bike in his 2nd game and took 11 marks against Freo, mainly between the arcs. We need some more of that.

IMHO, if Darling's performance trigger loan from West Coast spells doom for any of the following OOC 2025s, and he assists our forward set up, then he has done his job:

Nyoun
Pink
CCJ
Teakle
Ford
Maley

"Was". Not now. Barely even best 22 in a bottom 3 side. He does nothing for us but take up another spot on our list at $800k. If he spells doom for Teakle Ford and Maley, we are in a world of trouble!

I can definitely understand why we'd go after Parker and Macrae. Parker gives us leadership in spades, comes from the best development system in the comp and is still capable of winning games off his own boot. While I'm not the biggest fan of Macrae, he known how to find the footy, can play through the wings or across half back and has innate footy IQ and composure with ball in hand. While Macrae isn't overly defensive and a bit one paced, when he gets the ball you generally retain it, which is so important in modern footy. Both players are still capable of playing really good footy too, which is important.

Darling, I just don't get. He is an undersized key forward, in a more of a lead up style. Isn't much of a contested marking threat and his form has dropped away so badly that even the 3rd bottom side are willing to offload him for peanuts, to get him off the books. His leadership is questionable, and there has even been talk he has been coasting on the training track for the last couple of years. He is essentially going to play a similar role to Zurhaar. The fact remains, we need SPEED and CONTESTED MARKING threats in our forward line and I don't think he offers any of that.
It's really weird. I can't make any sense of it.

Are we are getting him to play? If so, he is a type we already have too many of. Is he coming to mentor a young forward not yet on our list? If so, he won't help on field as they won't both fit in the same team (unless it's the twos), so what will he do that a development coach can't?

People realise it's not just about on field performance as to why we want Darling right??

Right, so it's the "off field" stuff right?

Like I've already asked, we have Larkey and Zurhaar who are both 26 and have played over 100 games. When can we expect them to stand up and take some responsibility?

We also have a forward coach and Clarko

Why the f*** do we have to pay 800k to a f***ing washed up, dinosaur has-been? $800k for a guy to bring "off field" stuff! Assistant coaches get paid less than a quarter of that and this is their job!

People realise it's not just about on field performance as to why we want Darling right??
Yeah he pours a good coffee. Give him a 10 year deal and coffee cart..

Nuance and Bigfooty aren't meant to go hand in hand, potentially! Maybe logon to NoFooty.com for those types!
"Was". Not now. Barely even best 22 in a bottom 3 side. He does nothing for us but take up another spot on our list at $800k. If he spells doom for Teakle Ford and Maley, we are in a world of trouble!

What if they upgrade our 3rd into their 2nd selection?

That is what we should be aiming for to cover $800k.

FFS

We have Greenwood, Shiels ect to help with all the off-field stuff over the past few years and the improvement was negligible. If you want to help the team you have to be able to contribute in the 22, especially when you are on 800+k. If WC want to get rid of him in the position they are in, then his leadership and off field stuff isn't worth a pinch of goat shit. Alarm bells should be ringing.

Right, so it's the "off field" stuff right?

Like I've already asked, we have Larkey and Zurhaar who are both 26 and have played over 100 games. When can we expect them to stand up and take some responsibility?

We also have a forward coach and Clarko

Why the f*** do we have to pay 800k to a f***ing washed up, dinosaur has-been? $800k for a guy to bring "off field" stuff! Assistant coaches get paid less than a quarter of that and this is their job!
We also have Tom Lynch as reserves and development coach - who could hardly be better suited and positioned for mentoring young talls.

You can say the same about Zurhaar, who just got a 5 year deal. Will he ever be AA?

Toby Pink is also taking up a list spot, as he hit his trigger, along with the 5 other players mentioned in my original post.

If the club picks Darling up, there will be some method to the madness methinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Greenwood, Shiels ect to help with all the off-field stuff over the past few years and the improvement was negligible. If you want to help the team you have to be able to contribute in the 22, especially when you are on 800+k. If WC want to get rid of him in the position they are in, then his leadership and off field stuff isn't worth a pinch of goat shit. Alarm bells should be ringing.
WCE have Allen, Waterman, Williams and Archer Reid. That's enough key forwards to get them through the next couple years.

We have Larkey, Teakle and Pink. Pink is a break glass option. That's not enough to get us through 2025. Anyone we draft won't be ready for round one.

Which round one ready KPF do you think North have a reasonable shot at getting?

F3 for Darling and 23 then maybe.

I don't feel particularly enthusiastic about the Darling acquisition either, and there's likely better options available but i don't think getting him will have a detrimental effect on our performance or program moving forward. Even at this stage of his career he'd have to start the preseason ahead of the likes of Teakle, Pink, Maley and CCJ.

The ideal scenario is a younger player on the list (Maley, W.Dawson) or a young KKP that we've sourced through draft or trade out perform him and take his spot next year.

I want players to come who care about on field performance. We have been shit for too ****ing long. If you cannot contribute to both on field and off field performance, you can leave.

WCE have Allen, Waterman, Williams and Archer Reid. That's enough key forwards to get them through the next couple years.

We have Larkey, Teakle and Pink. Pink is a break glass option. That's not enough to get us through 2025. Anyone we draft won't be ready for round one.

If Darling's off field stuff and leadership was that good, WC would be keeping him to help continue developing those players. Williams and Archer Reid are still a while off, so you'd think Darling would be valuable depth for them too, especially when he is a close to 300 game player ect. The fact that WC are happy to off load him should be raising alarm bells. Even the likes of Damien Barrett are questioning this move.

If Teakle had of played from the start of the year he near would've gone close to matching Darling's output this season. Darlings output just isn't any good anymore. He just isn't worth the sort of money he is on. I'm also expecting Maley to start to have an impact next year.

Larkey, Teakle, CCJ, Maley and Pink will be enough to get us by until we either draft a few more KP's or until we trade for a decent one.

Nuance and Bigfooty aren't meant to go hand in hand, potentially! Maybe logon to NoFooty.com for those types!

What if they upgrade our 3rd into their 2nd selection?

That is what we should be aiming for to cover $800k.

FFS

I bet you any money that doesn't happen

If we're going to splash 800k around, i'd rather give that money to a guy like Riccardi who might be able to offer something on field and bring some experience as well.

WCE are 3rd bottom. And we're going to pick up their 5th banana at 800k per year :$

Throw 800k at Riccardi and he might be willing to listen. He'll add far more on field than Darling will!

100% correct.

Our development has been stunted by gifting too many games too early so some pressure for spots. Depth and better development in the 2’s will all help no end.

We absolutely need to shake things up and start aiming for wins - these or these types of players will help on many levels - most implosion developing the under 25’s and teaching us what real club culture and standards are.

If we had Parker and/or Darling Macrae, we manage out multiple games we were leading in last year - Collingwood, Melbourne, West Coast II.

Add them to the rapid improvement in the kids next year, fact we'll finally be building into the same structure with continuity, and another high draft pick or two, and 8-10 wins next year is very plausible

I bet you any money that doesn't happen

If we're going to splash 800k around, i'd rather give that money to a guy like Riccardi who might be able to offer something on field and bring some experience as well.
Sorry, what doesn't happen?

We just a dispensary for the dreck of others and we have to pay full whack. They need their money (cap space) for Darcy, JUH and Bont who all come out of contract next year!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back