List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not going to pay Jack Darling 800k to play in 2025. It will either be covered by the Eagles to a satisfactory degree or will be spread over his new 2 year deal.

Do you reckon we are strapped for cash?

It's until his contract finishes. Whether that would be 1 year with a trigger or 2 years. We need to buy time to develop a key forward.

Can't keep thinking it'll happen eventually if we don't force it to happen.

May as well flush 800k down the toilet.

Or if you want him for "off field" stuff then get a specific tall forward coach to do that. If it means we have to slightly go over our soft cap, then use part of that 800k to pay the tax. We don't need Darling taking up a list spot.

Sorry, I disagree. Darling is on the downhill spiral into the old folks home while I still see plenty of improvement in Teakle.

Teakle > Darling for me any day!

I'm hoping that there is improvement in Teakle too, but at the end of the day the coaching staff see these players day in day out and are clearly not confident in what we currently have

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry, I disagree. Darling is on the downhill spiral into the old folks home while I still see plenty of improvement in Teakle.

Teakle > Darling for me any day!
different roles
teakle is the second ruck who goes forward

they will both play round 1

darling is replacing pink, I'd like Finnbar in this role sooner than later tho

Kangaroo Jack you mean!!!

It’ll be awesome;)
You never know, could be like Waitey who played the majority of his career at Carlton but the reception he and his family got at North, considers himself a North person through and through. Fact.
Must say the stories circulating about Darling and why West Coke are happy to get rid of him are alarming.
Now that Simmo isn’t their coach, his relationship with our club and our coach - I am pretty sure we would have a great read and insight into what we are getting and what we aren’t with Jack Darling. So if we get him I’m pretty confident the pros outweigh the cons.

You never know, could be like Waitey who played the majority of his career at Carlton but the reception he and his family got at North, considers himself a North person through and through. Fact.

I felt the same about Higgo.

different roles
teakle is the second ruck who goes forward

they will both play round 1

darling is replacing pink, I'd like Finnbar in this role sooner than later tho

Like I said earlier, the trend in the game suggests teams are moving more towards a small forward line with 2 talls rather than 3.

Zurhaar can play as our hybrid 2nd tall while Teakle chops out in the ruck until we develop a second key forward. If we get another small forward like Rosas or Owies, then they should be playing instead of Pink. Pink's role becomes redundant.

I'm likely clutching at straws here but Allen (2023) and Waterman (2024) both had career years with Darling playing as the second tall in the forward line. His statistical output in those years has no doubt declined, but perhaps we see him playing a similar role at North where he is brought in to try and uplift those around him (e.g. Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben). His knowledge of forward structures, leading patterns and even opposition defenders that have played on him over the years would have to be of some help to our young group despite is declining athleticism. Again, more than happy for him to stay at West Coast but there are surely some positives in his potential acquisition.
My brother is an Eagles member who also watches most of our games. He sent me a text almost word for word your post.
I can't say I'm excited, but after watching our forward line fuction this year, I'm open to anything different.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What Damien Barrett thinks about anything is irrelevant. In an industry of shysters, he's uniquely discredited.

I guess where we fundamentally disagree is that I don't think we have the prerequisite key forward depth for 2025.

• I will be surprised if CCJ plays senior footy for us again, any more than a couple games would be astonishing.
  • Maley may come in leaps and bounds over the offseason, or he may not. He's not yet a reliable option.
  • Pink is a break glass option

From that position, I ask myself what the available options are, and there aren't many.

I'm sure we're struggling to spend the required $15m on our players this year, so Darling's inflated salary has no detriment on our position.

All things considered, I think Darling is a reasonable improvement on CCJ, Maley, and Pink.
Great post.

I think it’s a good pick up. There are a million KPFs I would like us to recruit from other clubs first but I am presuming we have exhausted upgraded options due to our lack of desirability as a club at present.

So having Jack play in our forward line vs Pink/Sellers is an upgrade both on output and importantly experience.

We aren’t giving anything meaningful for him, let’s remember we signed Biggie(bless him) for 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hate that we’re so shit that we have to even consider getting a washed up Jack Darling into the club.

I don't get the melts on here. We have been a rabble since 2020 and I for one, are sick of losing week in week out. Any experience is better than none.

Darling is not going to be a 70 goal a year fwd, however he is going to provide much needed support to Larkey and Chom, if Chom is playing fwd. He has played 300 games as a key fwd, in succesful teams, and that exeprience would be invaluable to our younger guys. He will only be there for 2 maybe 3 years at most. He will teach the guys more than anyone else on the list about fwd craft!!

Parker - just get him any means necessary. As with Darling, he has had success, leadership and experience, and would be a great asset for the next 4 + years. He will pretty much be an on field coach to the younger guys and will will has way over the line.

Macrae is in a similar boat to Parker with potentially more than 4 plus years of good football remaining plus much needed experience

These players, even if it for only 2-4 years, will add so much leadership and expereince, something we just do not have. It could be invaluable for the likes of Sheezle, Wardlaw, Powell, Chom etc... development and future in the game.

Get them in and lets start rising up that ladder!!

Let’s hope Jack Darling is more Jarred Waite and less Ben McKinley

WCE have Allen, Waterman, Williams and Archer Reid. That's enough key forwards to get them through the next couple years.

We have Larkey, Teakle and Pink. Pink is a break glass option. That's not enough to get us through 2025. Anyone we draft won't be ready for round one.

Which round one ready KPF do you think North have a reasonable shot at getting?
Plenty to choose from.

Josh Schache. Levi Casboult. Matt Taberner. Sam Day.

Plenty.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back