List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know what the West Coast folks thought about the value of taking Petrie for a year? I would have thought he and Sam Mitchell playing in 2017 might have been pretty helpful in getting them the 2018 flag.

West Coast had played in a grand final 2 years prior. Not comparable.

Why? Unless we have a quality player lined up.

FUTURE PICKS UP FOR GRABS

NORTH Melbourne is among the clubs open to putting its future first-round pick on the trade table to land another top pick in this year's draft as teams clamour for high end talent.

The strong regard for which recruiters hold the 2024 draft crop has been further exemplified by most clubs expressing they are open to using their future pick to buy into this year's first round.

The majority of clubs are open to either adding an extra first-round pick or attaining a first-round pick in this year's draft by using their future pick as a trade chip.

The Roos are understood to be among them, having put forward a future first-round pick for Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.

North Melbourne holds pick No.2 at this year's draft, behind Richmond at No.1. The Roos have used 10 first-round picks in the past four drafts, including seven in the past two years for the likes of Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma.

Only Jason Horne-Francis is no longer at the club from that group of Roos' first-round picks as they piece together a talented young group. – Callum Twomey

Darling is pressing North for 2 years guaranteed with a trigger for a 3rd year. He wouldnt leave otherwise. The $800k for 2025 is spread across the 2 years plus North adding approx $100k across those 2 years as well. Effectively Darling being paid $450k per year. No WCE salary dump at all. The draft capital WCE to receive from North in return is something in the 40's.

NORTH Melbourne is among the clubs open to putting its future first-round pick on the trade table to land another top pick in this year's draft as teams clamour for high end talent.

The strong regard for which recruiters hold the 2024 draft crop has been further exemplified by most clubs expressing they are open to using their future pick to buy into this year's first round.

The majority of clubs are open to either adding an extra first-round pick or attaining a first-round pick in this year's draft by using their future pick as a trade chip.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1217662/eddie-betts-luke-breust-and-ranking-the-top-10-small-forwards
The Roos are understood to be among them, having put forward a future first-round pick for Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.

North Melbourne holds pick No.2 at this year's draft, behind Richmond at No.1. The Roos have used 10 first-round picks in the past four drafts, including seven in the past two years for the likes of Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma.

Only Jason Horne-Francis is no longer at the club from that group of Roos' first-round picks as they piece together a talented young group. – Callum Twomey
Dangling the carrot to Crows for pick 4 so they can make a play for Sharp.

Draper, Armstrong and GMan is gizworthy.

Darling is pressing North for 2 years guaranteed with a trigger for a 3rd year. He wouldnt leave otherwise. The $800k for 2025 is spread across the 2 years plus North adding approx $100k across those 2 years as well. Effectively Darling being paid $450k per year. No WCE salary dump at all. The draft capital WCE to receive from North in return is something in the 40's.
pick 58 max

AFL.com running with we are definitely shopping our 2025 R1.
I’m happy with this.

There will be those who are scared about giving a top 3 pick away, but I’m glad to see them start to be bold with moves like this. Get the talent in now and get 12 months ahead in development, especially a quality tall.

In saying that, I don’t think a team in the top 10 will trade out.

I don't get the melts on here. We have been a rabble since 2020 and I for one, are sick of losing week in week out. Any experience is better than none.
We have been a rabble since 2020 partly because we have decision makers at the club who make boneheaded list management calls. Adding Darling & Macrae would just be another two. Trading our future 1st for a 28 year old flanker would be the icing on the sh$t-cake.

Right, so it's the "off field" stuff right?

Like I've already asked, we have Larkey and Zurhaar who are both 26 and have played over 100 games. When can we expect them to stand up and take some responsibility?

We also have a forward coach and Clarko

Why the f*** do we have to pay 800k to a f***ing washed up, dinosaur has-been? $800k for a guy to bring "off field" stuff! Assistant coaches get paid less than a quarter of that and this is their job!
Nailed it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1217662/eddie-betts-luke-breust-and-ranking-the-top-10-small-forwards

Crikey. The problem with this is filling list spots - this year and next.

We have roughly 16-20 players we need out the door over the next two trade periods. But we only have nine gone or still out of contract this year. Unless we pay out CCJ, Stevo and Biggie, we are going to find overselves trying to bring in a pile of players next year but won't have any collateral left to do it.

I would rather we took advantage of the depth of this year's draft and cut hard this year and take extra players cheap. Than do it next year, when the draft may not run so deep.

Crikey. The problem with this is filling list spots - this year and next.

We have roughly 16-20 players we need out the door over the next two trade periods. But we only have nine gone or still out of contract this year. Unless we pay out CCJ, Stevo and Biggie, we are going to find overselves trying to bring in a pile of players next year but won't have any collateral left to do it.

I would rather we took advantage of the depth of this year's draft and cut hard this year and take extra players cheap. Than do it next year, when the draft may not run so deep.
You have the extension of future trading introduced next year. With a bit of luck we look a better option for free agents in 12 months time as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm likely clutching at straws here but Allen (2023) and Waterman (2024) both had career years with Darling playing as the second tall in the forward line. His statistical output in those years has no doubt declined, but perhaps we see him playing a similar role at North where he is brought in to try and uplift those around him (e.g. Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben). His knowledge of forward structures, leading patterns and even opposition defenders that have played on him over the years would have to be of some help to our young group despite is declining athleticism. Again, more than happy for him to stay at West Coast but there are surely some positives in his potential acquisition.
In 2014-15, Petrie (our spearhead) on numerous occasions polled Syd votes by playing as a decoy.

Larkey is screaming for someone to take off the pressure.

The question really is this: Will Darling alleviate that pressure more than pink? My answer is yes. And as to $800,000 however: there better either be a pick attached to Darling’s hip or both Brady and Todd need to pack it in.

What if it's for similar value this year?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Yes that would be fine or a top player. Only top player I can think of that’s available that’s close is Houston . But is he a top 4 ? Probably if we want to get him to us I suppose. A haul of Houston , Parker, Macrae and even Darling would certainly boost our experience. A player nearly on every line

We must be confident of climbing the ladder next yr. I am not sure I really like trading away potentially a future top 4 pick.

I'd probably do it if it meant getting one this year, the Adelaide pick being the prime target. A year into somebody like Armstrong just as palatable as picking next year. And as others have mentioned, we can trade back in or may have a focus on free agency.

To Port though, I'd hope not.

Right, so it's the "off field" stuff right?

Like I've already asked, we have Larkey and Zurhaar who are both 26 and have played over 100 games. When can we expect them to stand up and take some responsibility?

We also have a forward coach and Clarko

Why the f*** do we have to pay 800k to a f***ing washed up, dinosaur has-been? $800k for a guy to bring "off field" stuff! Assistant coaches get paid less than a quarter of that and this is their job!
I understand that west coast will pay a portion of that 800k

I'd probably do it if it meant getting one this year, the Adelaide pick being the prime target. A year into somebody like Armstrong just as palatable as picking next year. And as others have mentioned, we can trade back in or may have a focus on free agency.

To Port though, I'd hope not.

If it was 2025 R1 for #4 this year because Adelaide has given up hope of getting Draper past us AND West Coast, I could very much live with it.

#2: Draper
#4: Armstrong
#22: Throw a dart

Its interesting with Sharp at the pointy end next year.

Maybe its a bit of a shake down on the two SA clubs, both who'd love to get him. Port might offer something like Houston and swap of F1s. Crows become more likely to offer 4 and 25 for F1 and perhaps 3rd/ 4th rounder back.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back