List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Nostrils was big on drafting Tsatas over Wardlaw. Throw enough darts and eventually one will hit the target.
Strangely enough I think we should go for Tsatas this trade period, he’d be at his lower trade value ever.
And if B.Scott is the same as the old, he won’t be prioritising skills at training.
He might come along way under another coach.

Last edited:

I reckon we could tempt the Hawk with a 5th rounder for Chol if they eat his salary.

Crikey and blardy heck, we're trying to improve, I wouldn't swap him for T Pink.

The Hawk would I suggest, imagine spending hours at the salon come out lookin like a complete **** wit and then playing like a quality shitmen.

I'd be furious if one of our ordinary players turned out like him. 3 clubs in, how long until his fourth.

Chill what Carey4?
We’ve had this crap selection & wrong decisions with draft & trade selections for over 10 years , been bottom 4 for nearly as many . With no end in sight of this shit show …
No wonder people are getting impatient … members especially who have put in the hard earned to pay these clowns.

Call me delusional, but I see the light. We are a lot more competitive next year and win a lot more games. Pin this to call me a mouth breather in 12 months.

I still can’t understand the thought process of the posters defending our trading and drafting on this board. We have been dreadful on almost every metric for circa 5 seasons. That means 15% of the AFL area we have been uncompetitive. I reckon it’s fair to criticise. I am optimistic for the future based purely on the quantity of high end picks we have has access to.

Time will tell indeed. It just seemed crazy to take another mid-sized forward when we have about 38 of them already.

I feel like we got seduced by a couple of great games late by Zane. Good hands and leap. Imagine what he was thinking when Stevo was assigned his mentor... FMD.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree, but I don't think we would have taken Zane thinking he would play as a mid-sized forward long term. Not even Brady would take 'best available' to those exremes.

There were a number of posters adamant Watson was what we needed and very disappointed he wasn’t either of our picks. Time will tell (TM).

The Wizard is very good at what he does and even our club was very much into him all year round. I think he will be a very good small forward for a long time to come, but I think you can get good small forwards without breaking the bank.

The crows invested a lot into small forwards as well, they have Rachele, Rankine, etc but are still bottom four despite them kicking a fair few goals. When Hawks had to pretty much empty their forward line against Port and leave Watson one out, at that stage it is almost meaningless what he contributes because it isn't a normal or traditional forward setup and can distort someone's contribution.

When Clarkson first went to Hawthorn he didn't have key forwards ready to play and he pretty much left Mark Williams one out there, he kicked 63 goals in 2005 and 60 goals in 2006 before Franklin and Roughead were ready to take over. Did it make him a superstar? Nope, he pretty much fizzed out once he wasn't getting that saturation of inside 50s directed at him. When Hawks had Day and Mitchell around, he wasn't getting the same kind of ball directed at him than he did during the finals, it is why his stats in finals is a fair bit different to outside of the finals.

I think the feel good story of Hawthorn isn't the wizard, it has been their ability to generate good footballers with lesser picks that can hold down and play good AFL standard footy, they haven't needed players like Watson and DGB can't even get a game with them. If we took Watson and they took Duursma we would be having the same conversation, just with the names reversed imo. Watson's H&A numbers were inferior to Paul Curtis and people are on his back about not being any good, imagine the incessant bitching if he was getting frostbite in our forward 50 whilst Duursma was getting the Hawthorn delivery and looking great.

We need to address the parts of football which we are not doing well, and that is list management, recruitment and player development. We need to be producing better results than we have been to date in these areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When do you think we'll do this?

I don't know. We have been focusing on medium forwards who can play multiple roles. I think the success of Sheezel was a contributing factor to picking Duursma over Watson. You probably wouldn't have the same confidence playing Watson in other roles like Harry has been able to play.

We need to address the parts of football which we are not doing well, and that is list management, recruitment and player development. We need to be producing better results than we have been to date in these areas.
Agree.

If we can't get these things right, as well as our conditioning and our medical team, we're doomed to stay where we are indefinitely.

Agree.

If we can't get these things right, as well as our conditioning and our medical team, we're doomed to stay where we are indefinitely.

The conditioning is part of player development.

When you look at all the players we have that are 182cm+ who play midfield or flank roles and their weights are way off what they are for successful clubs. You might have one or two players that are on the skinny side but they would need to be blinding fast and agile to compensate.

I am not point the finger at teens either, we have players who are 182cm+ who are in the mid 20s who are 5+ kgs below the weight of equivalent players at other clubs. Our CEO and Board should be asking Clarkson and the football department at large why our players are physically at a disadvantage. It has been a contributing factor towards us getting beaten up in the midfield.

Crikey and blardy heck, we're trying to improve, I wouldn't swap him for T Pink.

The Hawk would I suggest, imagine spending hours at the salon come out lookin like a complete **** wit and then playing like a quality shitmen.

I'd be furious if one of our ordinary players turned out like him. 3 clubs in, how long until his fourth.

Damn right!! My Hawks mate winced every time school got the ball last night

Everyone needs to chill.

The good posters like soup were nuts for Watson, I remember Soup saying that everyone was sleeping on how elite he was because of his height, but none of these posters, who have an excellent track record in the decades I've read the forum, thought big game Zane couldn't be an elite prospect either. Give it time.

I also don't get the panic on Darling. Swap out Greenwood for Darling. Shiels for Parker. Who cares if it's all late picks and salary that we have...

As long as we nail the front picks and fill some other holes with developing players, it's fine.

This isn't copium. If Dawson and our draft pick means Darling plays 6 games for NMFC over two years and earns $1m, GREAT.

I don't see this as been that different to Melbourne recruiting players like Vince and Lewis. I just don't see it as a massive issue, if we're not using draft capital.
You don’t belong here.

You're right, good hands and leap, but my memory of Duursma's highlight reel is of some really elite link up play in transition. So he's (potentially) more than another mid-sized forward, and at 190 and (say) 85, he's the makings of the ideal modern footballer. Watson has been outstanding (and I wasn't a fan), but it's a bit like comparing Eddie Betts and Nat Fyfe - you want both, but you can't with one pick
He and Goater taking a wing each in time? 2 x 190cm prime movers would help us get some size around the ground.

Steve Martin Idk GIF

So Watson and Duursma are not identical in terms of development?

Am I doing this right?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back