List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We should be spending 60-70% of our resources and energy into finding a genuine replacement for Pink. No knocking him: he has done everything he can to provide forward structure and pressure, but we need someone to be a genuine threat.

That's going to cost 2 firsts unless we go free agency.

For some reason, other clubs have plehtora of key forwards...

We should be spending 60-70% of our resources and energy into finding a genuine replacement for Pink. No knocking him: he has done everything he can to provide forward structure and pressure, but we need someone to be a genuine threat.
I think we are

Let’s hope we are successful in luring someone over

availability, and dont give me the logan mcdonald line, possibly could have stocked up on a couple of projects but possibly that was the sellers decision, regardless we are vulnerable in that space,
I never wanted McDonald. I was thrilled with Phillips. But in 2020, you go from picking 1 smaller inside pick and then double down by picking up an extra 3.

Think i dubbed him casboult like after the game, mitts were terrific set shot kicking not so much. He is the sort of player who is more effective when you bomb it in, souvas contested barks were sll running off a player into space. I would prefer option 2 than bombing it in but when pressured sometimes a dump kick is what you get, need to be able to offensively capitalise from both. Teakle is showing huge signs he could be that option but from a low sample presently.
Not sure I'd agree with this, largely immaterial but I'd say Larkey's best in the contest 1 v 1 under the ball. Very good at shifting his opponent and making smart position. Of course you're relying on a lot going well to expect that scenario to happen 5 times a game. Larkey is strong in static position 1 v 1's for mine, less so on the lead and not necessarily particularly strong in pack scenarios.

Definitely getting dejavu with every year around this time. There isn’t a star KPF that is going to magically appear for us to part with our first pick. Sorry to break it to you.

12 months ago our key defensive stocks were going to be the worst in AFL history. Now Logues back from injury and we have the luxury of easing him back given how well Chom, Corr and K.Dawson are going. Haven’t even needed Biggie, or Pink to play there anymore. W.Dawson showed some excellent signs & is going to be a monster. Oh and we are a good chance to draft Trainor.

A lot can change in 12 months. Address it like we did KPD’s last year. Get what we can relatively cheap (trade, state league). Invest in a couple over the next couple drafts. Go after a star when we are a genuine contender.
Agree. I mean don't get me wrong if the right option no brainer comes up this year I'd trade for them, but I don't want to see us burning draft capital on almost players or speculative. PSD or FA's no problem. If Cadman or Jed Walter decide they can't live without being in Blue & White - go for it. Otherwise to the draft, we have time to be smart here.

Not sure I'd agree with this, largely immaterial but I'd say Larkey's best in the contest 1 v 1 under the ball. Very good at shifting his opponent and making smart position. Of course you're relying on a lot going well to expect that scenario to happen 5 times a game. Larkey is strong in static position 1 v 1's for mine, less so on the lead and not necessarily particularly strong in pack scenarios.
If you were to rank the 5 main contests a key forward impacts, then for mine he ranks:

1. On the lead
2. Ground ball gets and crumbing
3. General 1v1 contests
4. Contested marking
5. Pack marking

Last edited:
If you were to rank the 5 main contests a key forward impacts, then for mine he rank:

1. On the lead
2. Ground ball gets and crumbing
3. General 1v1 contests
4. Contested marking
5. Pack marking
Not sure I agree, not sure he has the strongest hands on the lead personally. (Stats might call me a liar). To my eye he is strongest marking whilst protecting the drop (1v1). Agree very strong on the ground, crumbing etc and definitely agree in packs he struggles to have the same impact - you'd already say Xerri has him pipped in that category of little game time.

Not sure I agree, not sure he has the strongest hands on the lead personally. (Stats might call me a liar). To my eye he is strongest marking whilst protecting the drop (1v1). Agree very strong on the ground, crumbing etc and definitely agree in packs he struggles to have the same impact - you'd already say Xerri has him pipped in that category of little game time.
What we should be aiming to do over the next two seasons is bring in someone who will perfectly complement Larks: a pack, contested marking CHF who has the ability to bring it to ground for our mediums to pounce on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

availability, and dont give me the logan mcdonald line, possibly could have stocked up on a couple of projects but possibly that was the sellers decision, regardless we are vulnerable in that space,

Imagine we actually drafted Logan McDonald at 3. We would have spent the last 4 years absolutely cooking him on here.

He is essentially a poor man’s Larkey, and Larkey cops it on here. Can you imagine the s*** that Larkey would cop if he wasn’t the best set shot in the game. That’s McDonald.

It's not going to cost 2 firsts... max it should cost would be our first or our future first.... anything more and we move away. There isn't anything available tall-wise other than Battle in FA

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noah Balta is a Restricted Free Agent in 2025.

With Richmond probably likely to net a Top 2 pick if they "allow" him to go.

He BFNAAK also....

We should hit the draft extremely hard this offseason, even trade out of 2025 to advance the development of those picks by a year (I have been firmly against this for the last 4-5 years, but NOW is the time to try and get 2 x picks around 10 for that pick) try and pry out a Gruzewski and/or Derkson as a support player for Larkey for 2025.

Unload the long awaited warchest on Balta in 2025.

He's probably a B+ key forward, but an A grade defender.

There's not to many swingmen like him and his free agency status is going to align exactly with our move up the ladder, cap space and what this list needs.

We won't lose draft capital either.

Last edited:
Go for broke and test the dogs resolve. Our first , Zurhar compo and next years first for JUH. If no Zurhar compo add a second also. We are not that far off and the comp is dead even. I am sure we can incentivise him from a money perspective to come across.

The “some reason” is that we simply have not prioritised the draft capital required for 7-8 years into a KPF.
The one I really wanted was JVR. Even now if I could pick a young player from another club to poach it would be him. He would compliment Larkey beautifully ! Can’t see him wanting to leave Melb though.

It's funny our off season last year got us Dawson, pink and biggie. A bit of hedging our bets getting a few new cheap kpds in the hope of forming a solid defence around them.
It turns out we don't really need much as far as kpd's go now with corr, comben and kallan playing well. Logue to come back so we even have a bit of depth.

That's a massive win for us this year I reckon.
The only real holes i see left on the list are a Kpf, small forward and probably an elite winger.

Go for broke and test the dogs resolve. Our first , Zurhar compo and next years first for JUH. If no Zurhar compo add a second also. We are not that far off and the comp is dead even. I am sure we can incentivise him from a money perspective to come across.
This is a horrible trade.

It's funny our off season last year got us Dawson, pink and biggie. A bit of hedging our bets getting a few new cheap kpds in the hope of forming a solid defence around them.
It turns out we don't really need much as far as kpd's go now with corr, comben and kallan playing well. Logue to come back so we even have a bit of depth.

That's a massive win for us this year I reckon.
The only real holes i see left on the list are a Kpf, small forward and probably an elite winger.
Isaac cumming is the winger we need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back