List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny our off season last year got us Dawson, pink and biggie. A bit of hedging our bets getting a few new cheap kpds in the hope of forming a solid defence around them.
It turns out we don't really need much as far as kpd's go now with corr, comben and kallan playing well. Logue to come back so we even have a bit of depth.

That's a massive win for us this year I reckon.
The only real holes i see left on the list are a Kpf, small forward and probably an elite winger.
We should be able to address all 3 gaps over the trade / draft period.

Priority one would be taking Finn O'Sullivan if he's available at pick 2, here's hoping the Tigers like Smillie. Should be able to get a small forward and KPF with our remaining picks.

Trade for a fringe small forward / KPF, players who are just outside best 22 at their clubs and want more opportunity / money. They won't be A graders, but as you've alluded to above if they play their role it makes a huge difference to the team structure.

We may not be able to solve all our list issues in this trade / draft period but we'll come close.

Last edited:
We should be able to address all 3 gaps over the trade / draft period.

Priority one would be taking Finn O'Sullivan if he's available at pick 2, here's hoping the Tigers like Smillie. Should be able to get a small forward and KPF with our next two picks.

Trade for a fringe small forward and KPF, players who are just outside best 22 at their clubs and want more opportunity / money. The won't be A graders, but as you've alluded to above if they play their role it makes a huge difference to the team structure.

We may not be able to solve all our list issues in one trade / draft period but we'll come close.

Assuming you are bringing in 2025 picks here, as you won't be able to trade at all if 1st 2nd 3rd are taken up with FOs a kpf and a small...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's funny our off season last year got us Dawson, pink and biggie. A bit of hedging our bets getting a few new cheap kpds in the hope of forming a solid defence around them.
It turns out we don't really need much as far as kpd's go now with corr, comben and kallan playing well. Logue to come back so we even have a bit of depth.

That's a massive win for us this year I reckon.
The only real holes i see left on the list are a Kpf, small forward and probably an elite winger.

Comben's form in defence is as transformative to the list demographic as both Sheezel and Wardlaw's recruitment.

Teams spend years trying to recruit or poach defenders of that level and pretty much all the best premiership sides have had one.

It was my biggest question mark on this side/list over the next 5 years, where we were getting that player and if we had to try and draft one, how that would impact on the age of our midfield group, waiting years for them to develop. You likely miss LDU's prime years as an example.

You can't overstate how absolutely massive Combens emergence is.

In my view it puts us into genuine finals contention even as early as next year. Maybe even deep finals forecasting in 2026.

LDU is going to be at his peak starting next year and Wardlaw and Sheezel are going to be moving towards senior AFL bodies with 3 preseasons into them.

Assuming you are bringing in 2025 picks here, as you won't be able to trade at all if 1st 2nd 3rd are taken up with FOs a kpf and a small...

I've edited my post so it's a bit more generic about filling the gaps with a mixture of trade & draft.

But yes, I think there are a few possibilities for what trade collateral we may have; Zurhaar compo, anyone else who wants to leave or we trade out i.e. Bailey Scott, future picks etc. Wouldn't be opposed to a salary dump if we can get a half decent player and a pick.

Last edited:
I've edited my post so it's a bit more generic about filling the gaps with a mixture of trade & draft.

But yes, I think there are a few possibilities for what trade collateral we may have; Zurhaar compo, anyone else who wants to leave or we trade out i.e. Bailey Scott, future picks etc. Wouldn't be opposed to a salary dump if we can get a half decent player and a pick.

Reckon im in the future pick camp... would like bull and Bailey to stay...

Comben's form in defence is as transformative to the list demographic as both Sheezel and Wardlaw's recruitment.

Teams spend years trying to recruit or poach defenders of that level and pretty much all the best premiership sides have had one.

It was my biggest question mark on this side/list over the next 5 years, where we were getting that player and if we had to try and draft one, how that would impact on the age of our midfield group, waiting years for them to develop. You likely miss LDU's prime years as an example.

You can't overstate how absolutely massive Combens emergence is.

In my view it puts us into genuine finals contention even as early as next year. Maybe even deep finals forecasting in 2026.

LDU is going to be at his peak starting next year and Wardlaw and Sheezel are going to be moving towards senior AFL bodies with 3 preseasons into them.
Agree completely with this. I always thought 2025 was a reasonable target for finals but obviously our struggles were making that look less likely. Park wins for the rest of the year, if we play the last couple of months at the same level (give or take) as the last month, fill a couple of extra holes and list a couple of early picks we should absolutely have finals as a target next year.

From a list management perspective I reckon you let go of Zurhaar - force it into a B1 situation & trade out our F1.

x3 top 10's in 2024 and then trade out F1's for the next few for list builds to fill list holes ie CHF.

Agree completely with this. I always thought 2025 was a reasonable target for finals but obviously our struggles were making that look less likely. Park wins for the rest of the year, if we play the last couple of months at the same level (give or take) as the last month, fill a couple of extra holes and list a couple of early picks we should absolutely have finals as a target next year.
If we play like we have since the bye for the whole season in 2025 we'll play finals.

If we play like we have since the bye for the whole season in 2025 we'll play finals.

We’ve been playing like a team knocking on the door at least. Factor in natural progression of nearly the whole list, another preseason honing a game style, and even the general vibe that should be around the group over the preseason, there’s no reason why we couldn’t be.

We’ve been playing like a team knocking on the door at least. Factor in natural progression of nearly the whole list, another preseason honing a game style, and even the general vibe that should be around the group over the preseason, there’s no reason why we couldn’t be.
We play the teams in 1 and 2, the the teams directly above and below us on the ladder, a couple of teams outside the eight and unlikely to make it and one who'll be challenging for a top four spot. We should be aiming for three or four wins (at least.) If we can jag an upset against a top 8 side and beat three of the other four then we'll go into next year with some real momentum for once.

We need to beat 18thmond, WC and should consider ourselves a chance against Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I'd also say that if Heeney is suspended we're a real chance against the Swans this weekend. If he isn't we still have a shot at them.

We play the teams in 1 and 2, the the teams directly above and below us on the ladder, a couple of teams outside the eight and unlikely to make it and one who'll be challenging for a top four spot. We should be aiming for three or four wins (at least.) If we can jag an upset against a top 8 side and beat three of the other four then we'll go into next year with some real momentum for once.

We need to beat 18thmond, WC and should consider ourselves a chance against Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I'd also say that if Heeney is suspended we're a real chance against the Swans this weekend. If he isn't we still have a shot at them.

The media and opposition supporters will come from everywhere this week about concessions if we can knock over the Swans.

And the tears will delight me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the sweet spot for us this year is 6 wins which should still give us pick 3

Wins against tigers, eagles, dogs and hawks to come (final 4 games of the year)
Six wins after the bye would be huge.

Its possible too. WE can do it and I think we'll reap the rewards of this win over the next fortnight. Even if we lose we'll play good footy for at least some of the time.

Bit of love for the recruiters. Our current forward line:

Larkey (Pick 73)
Zurhaar (Rookie Pick 11)
Teakle (MSD Pick 15)
Ford (Pick 56)
Curtis (Pick 35)
Pink (DFA)
The flipside of that is that we flamed on these forwards:
CCJ (we paid Pick 19, I believed it was way over at the time)
Declan Watson (Pick 34) - tbh, I don't remember if he was recruited as a forward or defender
Jack Mahony (Pick 34)
Phoenix Spicer (Pick 42)

The media and opposition supporters will come from everywhere this week about concessions if we can knock over the Swans.

Yes they want us to do well but just not better than them. Watch when we hopefully start belting the shit out of every team in the competition the tune will change .

And not one top 10 priority pick in our team. Late PP's don't count.

The flipside of that is that we flamed on these forwards:
CCJ (we paid Pick 19, I believed it was way over at the time)
Declan Watson (Pick 34) - tbh, I don't remember if he was recruited as a forward or defender
Jack Mahony (Pick 34)
Phoenix Spicer (Pick 42)

Hardly top picks. Still a great strike rate.

Eagles fans dabbling in the idea of trading Waterman, what would you give up for him? Personally I'd trade our future first for him with their second rounder coming back

Noah Balta is a Restricted Free Agent in 2025.

With Richmond probably likely to net a Top 2 pick if they "allow" him to go.

He BFNAAK also....

We should hit the draft extremely hard this offseason, even trade out of 2025 to advance the development of those picks by a year (I have been firmly against this for the last 4-5 years, but NOW is the time to try and get 2 x picks around 10 for that pick) try and pry out a Gruzewski and/or Derkson as a support player for Larkey for 2025.

Unload the long awaited warchest on Balta in 2025.

He's probably a B+ key forward, but an A grade defender.

There's not to many swingmen like him and his free agency status is going to align exactly with our move up the ladder, cap space and what this list needs.

We won't lose draft capital either.

That would be the right move if we are ready for a flag in 2025 but we are not yet there.

We are not yet at a stage where we say get player xyz we will win 2 flags.

Our forward setup is work in progress, we seem to have a batch of mids with enormous upside, we just need to prolong their excellence for as long as possible, see geelong for reference.

Defense, we are doing quite well, the least of concern. Ruck is also in very good hand.

I think currently we still need to get the right support cast for the core.

2026, 27 we might be in for some good crumbers and even a big name key forward. Of course if opportunities arises, we should definitely pounce on one this year.

If will dawson steps up then it's another bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back