List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gawn is cooked and banged up and he’s 33 next year - he may drop off.
Viney has hit 30 years of age this year but looks like he’s running in quicksand and Oliver is one bender away from f***ing it all up - then what core is there to continue to challenge?
Steven May is still a gun but is also 33 next year.
Lever is 29 next year.
Rivers is a gun but is he good enough to build around? Langdon is 29 next year.

The fact they wasted these prime years 2021-23 by not finding a genuine ball forward is criminal.

Oh well. 1 flag is still a flag. But to think the Brown trade cost them more than 1 is something.

I'll take Petracca, Viney, Lever, May, Langdon and throw in Salem. And while you're at it, how much for Kosi?

It was always going to be one of the Saints, Bombers or Pies saying “to hell with morality and optics” and reaching for that poisoned chalice.
For sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong had a dip too after Stengle. I think the Bard got into a bit of trouble from the * board after his TT good bloke comments but who knows with that mob. Good luck to any club who chooses to go down that murky path I say.

North Melbourne has strong interest in gun defender Nathan Broad, 31, but the star backman has made clear his preference is to stay at Punt Rd to help the lead rebuild.

Broad will show enormous loyalty to Richmond’s cause if he continues to rebuff interest from the Roos who may be forced to turn to GWS interceptor Nick Haynes or Cat Jake Kolodjashnij.

ANALYSIS: BRUTAL LESSON TIGERS MUST LEARN FROM NORTH CULL

— Josh Barnes

How hard can you go when you push the button to blow it up?

It is a question that has haunted list managers for decades as they weigh up how deep to cut a fading list.

Richmond is walking towards that precipice right now.

If the tea leaves are to be believed, Richmond could see all these flag winners go in just a few months.

Jack Graham could leave as a free agent, Liam Baker may follow him west, Dustin Martin might be limping towards the end of his legendary stroll down Punt Road, Daniel Rioli could be tempted by the Gold Coast sun, and Shai Bolton may push to be another Tiger playing in Perth.

If they did clean out their lockers, those five would walk out of Richmond carrying 12 premiership medals.

In this modern era, fans are less tied to their premiership servants and always looking at the shiny potential of draft picks.

Graham’s value as a 26-year-old would likely be a second-round pick as compensation.

Martin’s compensation likely wouldn’t reach that height.

In trades, Baker is probably worth a mid-first, Rioli could be two firsts and Bolton’s long and weighty contract weighs even more than that on the scales.

Is 12 premierships worth six picks inside the top 30?

It would be a very nice starting point to the proper rebuild for new recruiting boss Chris Toce, given the only players on Richmond’s list the Tigers drafted themselves before pick No. 15 are Nick Vlastuin and Josh Gibcus.

The unique position Richmond finds itself in here is that it holds four players of genuine value, plus an all-time great in Martin.

Teams that have cut deep in the past have often done it by axing veterans or moving on youngsters who haven’t quite cut it yet.

North Melbourne did both, cutting the vets in 2016 and culling the list cloggers by axing 11 players in one day in 2020.

Neither secured a quick bounce but also neither of the moves brought any value back to the club, unlike the bevy of potential draft options the Tigers could secure.

By getting this many swings, the Tigers would put themselves in a similar position to the Hawks of the early 2000s, when they drafted Jarryd Roughead, Lance Franklin and Jordan Lewis together in the first half-hour of the 2004 draft and built a dynasty.

Within three seasons, those Hawks were winning finals and within four they had a flag.

What is also unique about Richmond’s situation is that those players potentially on the way out would mostly be part of that potential flag side in 2030.

Baker would be the oldest of the crew, aged 32 then.

Losing so much prime talent means the Tigers will have surely given up on trying to remain in the finals hunt, a plan outgoing CEO Brendon Gale has stuck to in recent years.

Losing that much proven talent at the peak of their powers has never worked out, with Brisbane’s ‘go home five’ ripping potential from the Lions and sending them to the bottom.

While the Tigers will still have plenty of experienced talent on their list, losing players who have been there before can only hurt whoever is drafted into the club.

Richmond assistant Jack Ziebell had to be one of the few experienced heads at North Melbourne in his final playing years and recognises how important it is to have veterans around to fast-track young players.

“It is critical, they are like on-field coaches. I look at guys like Dion Prestia, Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto, who have all missed chunks of footy this year,” he said.

“One, we would love them out there because they are guns. But two, their ability to help instruct and teach kids on the field in real life and teach them is second to none.

“I know the young guys absolutely eat it up and the young guys get a thrill out of it as well.”

History isn’t kind to clubs that tear it all down following the mantra of moving on players who aren’t in the next premiership side.

Melbourne and Carlton both went through rebuilds over and over for virtually 15 years before both finally hit an upswing, with the Demons eventually claiming the silverware in 2021.

The only reliable constant you can find in histories of blowing up a playing list in footy is you are destined for a long time losing.

Perhaps Richmond fans are ready for that and having watched them savour in three flags, opposition fans may agree the Tigers deserve a slow rebuild.

Hawthorn has shown you can bounce back quicker than expected.

But if the Tigers do move on most of their five players, it surely consigns the club to a long time in the cellar.

SCOTT’S ROO CULL

It was the mother of all axe swings.

Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo were all not offered contracts at the end of 2016.

Daniel Wells left in free agency and veteran Farren Ray was also cut.

On the surface, these all appeared reasonable moves for a club that had fallen out of a window that had included two preliminary finals and held the oldest list in the league.

In 2017, the Roos were suddenly the second youngest list and starting with that year, they have finished 15th, ninth, 12th, 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th, with another bottom two finish looking likely.

The lesson from this example is to try and fade out veterans and keep more experience around.

Because most of those names were retiring, the Roos got nothing but cap space and list spots for their departure, whereas the Tigers conundrum is based on whether they cash in now.

North Melbourne has strong interest in gun defender Nathan Broad, 31, but the star backman has made clear his preference is to stay at Punt Rd to help the lead rebuild.

Broad will show enormous loyalty to Richmond’s cause if he continues to rebuff interest from the Roos who may be forced to turn to GWS interceptor Nick Haynes or Cat Jake Kolodjashnij.

stop linking us to players. No one wants to come to us

Petracca for Phillips and R2 pick.

Huge injury and 29 next year. I wouldn't be giving up a pick 2 mid for him.

My thoughts exactly, he's past his prime already in a middling club.

If it's ryley sanders, why not.

But if the wording is exact, high profile then he should be a player of some stature.

If Melbourne decide to blow it all up and rebuild before Tassie comes in then that makes sense.
If they’re getting rid of Petracca it means Olivers also going.

But I find it very hard to believe we’re looking at Petracca and Melbourne will trade him. Hes their most valuable asset. Him out and they’re bottom 4 standard instead of top 4.
You just don’t trade players at that level.

But melbourne might want 2 firsts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're incredibly smart list managers, draft manipulators (in a good way) and traders.

Rather than being pricks for the sake of it * style, they tend to look a few moves ahead and dazzle sides with seemingly great offers in the here and now (Don't we know about it..).

If they initiate a trade, be bloody wary imo.

Logically they could regroup inside 1-2 seasons like a Geelong circa 2020 because they have a balanced list with several guns.

If they do look like blowing it all up like you said hypothetically, it'd be odd and need further scrutiny. You don't dismantle a premiership list 3 seasons later without very strong indicators your core is cooked.

Well their core is cooked, oliver never going to return to top 20 mid let along top 5, gawn gone, petracca declining.

They might want to ship him out ala dan hannebury to saints so we are suckers to give 2 firsts...

Interesting prospect.

Given the history regarding the clubs handling of his injuries, and the writing on the wall in regards to Melbourne's performance, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he’s looking at his options.

If he is, I think it’s a good fit. He’s a good leader who knows the work standard required for a flag. We have money and draft capital.

I’m confident Todd would still have the resources to read the room at Melbourne in terms of due diligence and negotiations.

Could be a good showing provided someone hasn’t pulled this out of their star chamber

He's only good for 3 years

For sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong had a dip too after Stengle. I think the Bard got into a bit of trouble from the * board after his TT good bloke comments but who knows with that mob. Good luck to any club who chooses to go down that murky path I say.

In all seriousness, TT's career at most afl club got tanked with THAT email from hood and of course his latest indescretion.

If it's petracca i hope it was just an emergency pit stop along the way back to his own club...

Anyone else feel like the Nathan Broad link is only because we don't leak like a siv anymore and the media love to play the North is desperate angle

dont kid yourselves.
Petracca would walk straight into our best 22 and compete for best on field from day 1.

But i hope this isn't a dan hannebury situation as both of them will be 29 when they arrive at new clubs.

Dan hannebury was a flop and saints gave 2 firsts.

It's a big no from us, there has got to be better options out there.

Our first is way too high for petracca at his age.

Anyone else feel like the Nathan Broad link is only because we don't leak like a siv anymore and the media love to play the North is desperate angle
Some serious hallucinogens have been consumed in the making of that article.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back