Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure I read in an article somewhere recently that Walls or whoever was saying we wouldn’t be looking at Bo Allen as we already have too many players of his type.
Walls.

Does anyone have the quote from Swans recruiter who said only important test at combine was the 2km trial.

Me too. I think Berry is a nice player, but I prefer the way Hannaford plays. He has more aggro and power. However, the big question mark is Hannaford had a very poor 2km time trial result. If Hannaford is viewed as having poor endurance, it could stop him rising up the board.

Take him at 30

I've learned about my optimism and my way to find the light in bad situations. I hadn't really faced much adversity in my footy and I struggled with it early, but I managed to find my light and pushed my attention to how I could make it a good thing," he said. "I'd be happy to go anywhere." Taj Hotton

Walls.

Does anyone have the quote from Swans recruiter who said only important test at combine was the 2km trial.
It was Paul Roos. On the abc daily podcast during trade week.
He was very clear the only measure in the combine that correlated with a successful future AFL career was 2km time trial (or 3km back in the day). Basically dismissed all other measures as a bit of a fad actually. Reckoned the in person interviews at the combine are the most important part of it by far for recruiters.

I’m shocked by hannafords 7:26 time over 2km.
That is alarmingly poor for a 18 year old trying to make it as a professional AFL footballer. Thats a pace of 3:43 m/km over just two km. he must have been hampered somehow?
The difference between 6:26 and 7:26 over 2km might not sound much but anyone that’s dabbled in athletics will well you it’s an indicator of an enormous gap in athletic ability.

I would have thought a small forward especially would be doing 6:30 at least over 2km. Only guys that might get a pass for slowish time would be rucks or big bodied KPP.

If you can’t run you are not much use at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.1 fancy's 'slow' 2km run unlikely to faze recruiters - https://www.afl.com.au/news/147650

Rayner did a similar time.
That actually highlights how bad it was

Rayner was 3 months off footy and overcoming a knee injury to test

Brayshaw in comparison did 6:14

Darcy Fogarty did 7:33, only 7 seconds slower than Hannaford
CCJ 7:35
Both of them are slow AF

That actually highlights how bad it was

Rayner was 3 months off footy and overcoming a knee injury to test

Brayshaw in comparison did 6:14

Darcy Fogarty did 7:33, only 7 seconds slower than Hannaford
CCJ 7:35
Both of them are slow AF

Wasn’t there rumours about Rayner tanking the combine to get drafted by a Victorian club at the time?

Personally I think that’s BS but if people were saying that it shows he was way worse than they thought he should’ve been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back