Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

THE TIGERS AND THEIR WANTAWAY THREE

The Tigers hold most of the cards as the national draft nears, but which of their big three moves is set to cause a domino effect for the rest of the major movement?

As things presently stand, Richmond will take nine selections into proceedings in late November, and that’s before it orchestrates trades for the imminently departing Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Liam Baker.

The club is currently negotiating with Gold Coast, Fremantle and West Coast respectively, and as those talks progress, so will the rest of this player movement period.

A move for Rioli could be the first penny to drop, with it likely to centre on the Suns’ No. 6 choice and possibly also include a sweetener — say, their early-second-round Pick 29?

If not Rioli, a resolution to the Bolton situation could come first — but that might depend on a potential Fremantle-Melbourne pick exchange.

In all likelihood, the Dockers will need to surrender two of their three first-round picks for Bolton — it’s just a matter of which ones.

They currently have 10, 11 and 18, and the Tigers are said to be pushing for the former two, while the Dockers would prefer to maintain one of 10 and 11.

This is where the Dockers could get creative and force Richmond’s hand.

AFL Media journalist Cal Twomey recently reported Melbourne ‘has interest’ in swooping on one of those three Fremantle picks, with Demons list manager Tim Lamb declaring at Monday’s trade period opening his club “would love” another early pick in what shapes as “an outstanding draft”.

The Dees could offload their future first-rounder for Fremantle’s Pick 11 — which, in a separate point, helps the Dockers start accumulating for their 2025 pursuit of Chad Warner.

Then, if the Bolton exchange ultimately comprises Picks 10 and 18, from there, the avenues for a Baker trade between Richmond and West Coast open up substantially.

Cats circle Smith during first trade day | 02:51
While most are predicting West Coast to use the pick it receives from Hawthorn — likely No. 14 — for Tom Barrass in its trade for Baker, the Eagles haven’t been shy about the possibility of splitting their No. 3 choice.

In fact, list boss Matthew Clarke said Pick 3 could “potentially” be included as part of the club’s Baker acquisition.

“We’re open to some other picks in this draft, so if that (Baker trade) can help unlock something like that, we’re open to it,” Clarke told AFL Trade Radio on Monday.

“Like a lot of other clubs, we want to get some talent in, but that (No. 3) could be involved, for sure.

“We’ve had a few clubs talk to (us) about it, and we’ve spoken to some clubs ourselves about what that (a trade) might look like, so that could ramp up.”

For example, Richmond could offer Liam Baker and Pick 10 (from Fremantle) for No. 3.

According to the draft value index, Baker — for the sake of this conversation, let’s say he is worth Pick 14 (1,161 points) — and No. 10 (1,395) combined (2,556) are worth more than No. 3 (2,234).

It gives the Eagles their hard-nosed utility as well as a top-end selection in a highly-touted count.

Completely alternatively, the Eagles could move to strike their agreement with the Hawks for Barrass before simply on-trading No. 14 to the Tigers.

Richmond has also been linked with Brisbane’s Pick 20 as the victorious Lions prepare to match father-son and Academy bids on Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall.

There is a world where the Tigers could hold Picks 1, 6 (from Gold Coast), 10 (from Fremantle), 14 (from West Coast), 18 (from Fremantle), 20 (from Brisbane) and 24 at the draft.

There is a raft of possibilities, and we’re hardly closer to knowing which mega move sets the wheels in motion.

10&11, 10&18.... who cares. We will still probably pick the same player whether we have pick 11 or 18. If using 10&11 pays for a bunch of salary then get it done and pick the next star at 18. Alex Rance, Daniel Kerr and Luke Shuey were all pick 18s. Fyfe was 20. having pick 11 doesn't automatically get you a better pick than 18 and when Bolton is streaming out the front of our midfield and kicking 45 snags a year, who will be worried about if we picked at pick 11 or pick 18 that year? Imagine we pay 10&18 and bust at 11 only for Richmond to pick a star at 18. People need to lighten up.
What if holding pick 11 means someone offers you 18 and their future 1st on the night to get their vic metro mid slider.

While all the talk is around Bolton wanting to come to us and what we should give up for him, I wouldn't discount the mob down the road swooping in and making a play for him.

I hope it doesn't happen but they would probably be able to offer him more money.

They will have some trade currency and salary relief from Barrass. They could also split their first round pick.

McQualter going there with Baker and Graham as well could entice him.

They desperately want to keep the man child and would not want him to get a flogging each week.

They have been delusional about their list before and they may think they are closer than they are.

It wouldn't be the first time we were gazumped during trading.

I hope I am jumping at shadows because I am a Bolton fan and would love him in our team but I don't think they are totally out of the equation, despite what they are saying publicly.
It seems like the bulk of that will go to the Baker trade, which seems wild. If 10 and 18 is what Freo are comfortable with offering, West Coast would have to get an extremely favourable pick swap for pick 3 and either get a good deal for Baker or an insane deal for Barrass just to match that while still keeping a top 7-ish pick (I have to assume west coast aren't gonna want to fall outside of that).

It's all a bit of posturing at the end of the day. Someone's gonna fold, and the other is gonna pay a folding fee. If the gap is 10 + 11 vs 10 + 18, it gets done.

He plays in a team..
Tiges were...bottom four
He plays with us...he will be better...
And we will be better
Yokai!
Being bottom 4 meant he also got a lot of soft goals when the game was dead. I wouldn´t expect him to be kicking many more than he is right now 30-40. Great for a small forward but no Toby Greene.

Yeah I'd be comfortable watching Bolton unable to lift his team above 2 wins if it mean s not paying 10 and 11. He is absolutely not worth that price, we are not that desperate, we played very well without him this year, we would be better with him but the price is too high.
I would feel pretty nauseous if our pick 11 becomes a Pickett/Butters/NWM who were all around that mark.
Wouldn't you rather just pay 10 & 11 and watch Bolton lift a Cup in 12 months?

Bolton would be a massive coup though, let's be honest, he'll add more to us than any draft pick can. How long do we have to keep going to the draft?

He's a big fish that wants us.
All I can say is I’m glad you are not negotiating any trades on behalf of Freo that’s all.

How people think it’s ok to get constantly shafted in trades and still win a flag in this league, while we have no competitive advantage worth talking about relative to most other teams, beats me 💁🏻‍♂️

The Schultz trade last year was the first time I felt we had a minor trade win. It only turned into a bigger one because nobody saw the pies missing finals last year when the trade was agreed.

When you overpay so much for a player - the pressure is then enormous for that player. Bolton would need to be winning 2 or 3 all Australians for freo, to justify pick 10 and 11 in this draft. It’s unfair on the player himself and long odds to be a trade win for us.

Travaglia's the sort of plug and play option in defence that makes him my number 1 of those options imo (I like Berry as a forward and I like Lindsay for basically everything he does, but Travaglia just offers immediate impact on the team, which is what we should be looking for at this point in the list build)
Peeeeerfect Ryan replacement down the track imo.

All I can say is I’m glad you are not negotiating any trades on behalf of Freo that’s all.

How people think it’s ok to get constantly shafted in trades and still win a flag in this league, while we have no competitive advantage worth talking about relative to most other teams, beats me 💁🏻‍♂️

The Schultz trade last year was the first time I felt we had a minor trade win. It only turned into a bigger one because nobody saw the pies missing finals last year when the trade was agreed.

When you overpay so much for a player - the pressure is then enormous for that player. Bolton would need to be winning 2 or 3 all Australians for freo, to justify pick 10 and 11 in this draft. It’s unfair on the player himself and long odds to be a trade win for us.
Trust me I'm glad I'm not too, at the end of the day there's a reason we're all the armchair experts and not the guys in the list management chairs.

Are you sure?

Geelong - Shafted in the Clark trade, lift the cup.
Collingwood - Shafted in the Grundy & Trelor trades, lift the cup.
Brisbane - Shafted in a lot of trades previously but not so many lately. Lost McStay to free agency.

Trades are part of the furniture now, you can't win them all. We are basically paying for Bolton with Shultz & a couple of 2nds.

THE TIGERS AND THEIR WANTAWAY THREE

The Tigers hold most of the cards as the national draft nears, but which of their big three moves is set to cause a domino effect for the rest of the major movement?

As things presently stand, Richmond will take nine selections into proceedings in late November, and that’s before it orchestrates trades for the imminently departing Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Liam Baker.

The club is currently negotiating with Gold Coast, Fremantle and West Coast respectively, and as those talks progress, so will the rest of this player movement period.

A move for Rioli could be the first penny to drop, with it likely to centre on the Suns’ No. 6 choice and possibly also include a sweetener — say, their early-second-round Pick 29?

If not Rioli, a resolution to the Bolton situation could come first — but that might depend on a potential Fremantle-Melbourne pick exchange.

In all likelihood, the Dockers will need to surrender two of their three first-round picks for Bolton — it’s just a matter of which ones.

They currently have 10, 11 and 18, and the Tigers are said to be pushing for the former two, while the Dockers would prefer to maintain one of 10 and 11.

This is where the Dockers could get creative and force Richmond’s hand.

AFL Media journalist Cal Twomey recently reported Melbourne ‘has interest’ in swooping on one of those three Fremantle picks, with Demons list manager Tim Lamb declaring at Monday’s trade period opening his club “would love” another early pick in what shapes as “an outstanding draft”.

The Dees could offload their future first-rounder for Fremantle’s Pick 11 — which, in a separate point, helps the Dockers start accumulating for their 2025 pursuit of Chad Warner.

Then, if the Bolton exchange ultimately comprises Picks 10 and 18, from there, the avenues for a Baker trade between Richmond and West Coast open up substantially.

Cats circle Smith during first trade day | 02:51
While most are predicting West Coast to use the pick it receives from Hawthorn — likely No. 14 — for Tom Barrass in its trade for Baker, the Eagles haven’t been shy about the possibility of splitting their No. 3 choice.

In fact, list boss Matthew Clarke said Pick 3 could “potentially” be included as part of the club’s Baker acquisition.

“We’re open to some other picks in this draft, so if that (Baker trade) can help unlock something like that, we’re open to it,” Clarke told AFL Trade Radio on Monday.

“Like a lot of other clubs, we want to get some talent in, but that (No. 3) could be involved, for sure.

“We’ve had a few clubs talk to (us) about it, and we’ve spoken to some clubs ourselves about what that (a trade) might look like, so that could ramp up.”

For example, Richmond could offer Liam Baker and Pick 10 (from Fremantle) for No. 3.

According to the draft value index, Baker — for the sake of this conversation, let’s say he is worth Pick 14 (1,161 points) — and No. 10 (1,395) combined (2,556) are worth more than No. 3 (2,234).

It gives the Eagles their hard-nosed utility as well as a top-end selection in a highly-touted count.

Completely alternatively, the Eagles could move to strike their agreement with the Hawks for Barrass before simply on-trading No. 14 to the Tigers.

Richmond has also been linked with Brisbane’s Pick 20 as the victorious Lions prepare to match father-son and Academy bids on Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall.

There is a world where the Tigers could hold Picks 1, 6 (from Gold Coast), 10 (from Fremantle), 14 (from West Coast), 18 (from Fremantle), 20 (from Brisbane) and 24 at the draft.

There is a raft of possibilities, and we’re hardly closer to knowing which mega move sets the wheels in motion.
What a garbo article

Why are the media misrepresenting walls talk about trading for a future pick

It'll only happen if Bolton falls through

While all the talk is around Bolton wanting to come to us and what we should give up for him, I wouldn't discount the mob down the road swooping in and making a play for him.

I hope it doesn't happen but they would probably be able to offer him more money.

They will have some trade currency and salary relief from Barrass. They could also split their first round pick.

McQualter going there with Baker and Graham as well could entice him.

They desperately want to keep the man child and would not want him to get a flogging each week.

They have been delusional about their list before and they may think they are closer than they are.

It wouldn't be the first time we were gazumped during trading.

I hope I am jumping at shadows because I am a Bolton fan and would love him in our team but I don't think they are totally out of the equation, despite what they are saying publicly.
It is totally out of the question, Bolton will be playing for Freo next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YOUNG DOCKERS WAIT

FREMANTLE is likely to retain out-of-contract ruckman Max Knobel after several promising WAFL performances in 2024, with fellow big man Odin Jones waiting on the club to finalise its trade plans before his immediate future takes shape.
List spots have opened up a bit

Feel like we were targetting a few extra players that are no longer happening

(Martin, Warner, kozzy :( )

Are you sure?

Geelong - Shafted in the Clark trade, lift the cup.
Collingwood - Shafted in the Grundy & Trelor trades, lift the cup.
Brisbane - Shafted in a lot of trades previously but not so many lately. Lost McStay to free agency.

Trades are part of the furniture now, you can't win them all. We are basically paying for Bolton with Shultz & a couple of 2nds.
Crazy argument. Those clubs have institutional advantage over the Fremantle dockers, that are too large to even all list on here.

Collingwood sign a mega bucks free agent more and more frequently nowadays. They are automatically in the market for every gun Melbourne free agent going home.

Dan McStay
Harry Perryman
Just to name two inthe last 3 seasons.

Got Bobby hill for a future third!!! 😂😂
Daicos for a pile of junk picks - a guy tracking to be an all time great.

Who’s our greatest free agency signing? Reece bloody Conca.

Please.

We CANT AFFORD to be losing trades at the same rate of those clubs you mentioned.

Brisbane burned pick 2 on Schache.
No worries said the afl - here’s a priority pick for you to draft Jarrod Berry.

Geelong? Don’t even go there.

Crazy argument. Those clubs have institutional advantage over the Fremantle dockers, that are too large to even all list on here.

Collingwood sign a mega bucks free agent more and more frequently nowadays. They are automatically in the market for every gun Melbourne free agent going home.

Dan McStay
Harry Perryman

Please.

We CANT AFFORD to be losing trades at the same rate of those clubs you mentioned.

The Disrespect to Danyle Pearce.......

Dan McStay
Harry Perryman

Please.

It has reached comical status with big Vic clubs tbh. Petracca would only move to one of them so had to stay, Pies just put their hand up for anyone that suites their fancy. Blues can turn down Houston basically.

Then their fans live in delusion as to.the advantages they have.

Dan McStay
Harry Perryman

Please.

This really isn't genuine discussion unless you state what is the maximum you'd pay for Bolton. All you've said so far is 10&11 is too much, but no one is suggesting we pay 10&11 in isolation, most are saying 10&11 with something in the 20s coming back, whilst not "winning" the trade, is okay.
What's your bottom line?

What a garbo article

Why are the media misrepresenting walls talk about trading for a future pick

It'll only happen if Bolton falls through
Yep and whats the benefit for trading out 11 for a Dee's future first when you would assume that they will finish around that mark? Pick 18 maybe but with a 2nd rounder back to us also otherwise its not worth it.

How did you feel after the Weller trade?
Or the Brad Hill trade? (Either of them to be honest)

I get the sentiment, but I prefer the bigger picture approach.
The Cerra and Jackson trades annoyed me a little, both felt a little lopsided, but at the end of the day we just have to keep improving our list.

Dan McStay
Harry Perryman

Please.

I'm saying we have been killing it lately. We have a current list trade win column bigger than any other club. Paying slight overs on Jackson or Bolton who are A graders is not a huge deal that will ruin us. Hogan was a huge dud but the steaknives of that deal are now half (the right side) of Bolton deal and that's the side that kicks all the goals.

I don't think so, he's checked out because he wants to go home but If a deal isn't done he will just play for Richmond next year. Richmond have lost enough players already I don't think they would mind keeping him if they can't strike the right deal. In the back of there minds though they'd know it would be wise to do it now and not wait 12 months because we will be throwing everything at Warner and they will will only get what's left, only time will tell. Is he worth 10 & 11? Yes. We need him, they don't need to lose him.
I think you are underestimating the impact Tasmania emerging will have on future drafts. Picks in the next 2 drafts are critical for a rebuilding club.

Tasmania is also a reason we should be cautious about selling the farm. We need to continue to bring in some new talent.

I want Bolton, but when the fall back option brings in the likes of Berry, Lalor or Travaglia, or a crack at the WA boys, so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back