List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice to all supporters, is listen to Ross and Andrew Basset when they speak. They are very deliberate and certain of their path.

Do not listen to the media, they’re quick to speak without thought and subsequently create hysteria and conversation.

If you do both of these things, then the path forward for St Kilda, and the actions that support it are easier to understand.

I don't listen to media

I watch us play

I watch our atrocious inside 50 entries.

I watch us play like headless chooks

I watch players playing out of position.

I watch players devoid of confidence.

We play incredibly ugly football.

We are a poorly coached football team. I see that for myself, regardless of what the media are saying.

Most clubs have a group of kids coming through. The averages would suggest that about 4 to 6 make it to 100 games let alone become stars.

A big group of kids coming through guarantees nothing and just means that group hopefully has some cohesion and might stick together.

We are never going to get anywhere hoping that we can draft our way to competitiveness unless the AFL change all the rules around FS and academy seriously. Brisbane get probably the most guaranteed player in this draft and a second academy kid. Gold Coast got three top picks last year, have one this year and one next year.

If we are relying on a shoot out we're never going to be able to compete. We have to go now and try to fill holes before the old guys fall off the cliff.

Collingwood has something like 15 recycled or state league players on their list. They aren't waiting for some goldilocks list. We got Lyon in because we assumed he could get more out of a lesser list. We don't need him as a development coach.

We need a sensible list build while staying competitive. Keep drafting and keep adding to the depth through other means. If we wait it will be too late.
but thats what they are doing. but you still slate them for it?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we thinking the Cole can fill that void in the future or the preference is Trainor? Or both?
We are thinking our FB is very average and our CHB is good but undersized and not damaging offensively.
We're thinking that between Hammer, JVE, Ari and Keeler that we can probably do better in a few years.

Wanganeen-Milera
Owens
Windhager
Wilson
Phillipou
Caminiti
Schoenmaker
Hastie
Garcia
Collard
+ the picks from this years draft

That equates to approx 15 players all in the same age bracket coming through at the same time… that’s the key to building a quality team. It will lead to some pain but we just have to continue to develop and pump games into them.
Spot on there LH87.

That's how I see things.

We'll either have a dynamic side or......no......I won't go there.

A long time mate of mine who's footy analysis is way way better than mine....said the above to me several weeks back.

I had a chuckle....then thought....he's right.

Devon Robertson has to be in our sights.
Absolute jet
He smashed sandy when we played them and just looks to good for vfl
He would be worried with Ashcroft boys and Dunkley Neal etc his career might wither away in the twos. Would be a starter for us for sure.

Out of contract end of 2025, WA boy, 23yrs old…what would it take to get him..?? Future second..?

Devon Robertson has to be in our sights.
Absolute jet
He smashed sandy when we played them and just looks to good for vfl
He would be worried with Ashcroft boys and Dunkley Neal etc his career might wither away in the twos. Would be a starter for us for sure.

Out of contract end of 2025, WA boy, 23yrs old…what would it take to get him..?? Future second..?
Wouldn't even pay that for him.

I don't listen to media

I watch us play

I watch our atrocious inside 50 entries.

I watch us play like headless chooks

I watch players playing out of position.

I watch players devoid of confidence.

We play incredibly ugly football.

We are a poorly coached football team. I see that for myself, regardless of what the media are saying.
Which players are out of position?

The majority of the damage was done way before Satan’s reign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dude literally gave up serong for Brad Hill and put his mate in charge of list management with literally no experience.

He didn’t help. Had a chance to get bing back at the club but said it was to hard. He was also in charge when we traded out all our pick for established player just to be middle of the table.

We traded out of one draft & landed 5 players that player in a winning final the next year.

5 years later & 3 of those guys are still best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dude literally gave up serong for Brad Hill and put his mate in charge of list management with literally no experience.
He didn't 'literally' do that.

We traded our first round pick, for multiple first round picks then used those picks to bring in multiple players. One of the first rounders we possessed during that time was then used to pick Serong. There is nothing factual that exists to say whether we would have picked him with that pick or not.

He didn’t help. Had a chance to get bing back at the club but said it was to hard. He was also in charge when we traded out all our pick for established player just to be middle of the table.
Responsible for Max King over Rozee
Enough said.
See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

They blew the first rebuild under Pelican with Lee, Saad, White types. Then blew the second under Trout with Paddy, Billings etc, then the third under Lethers. And now we are going again. Each one has taken time and had no success. We've been drafting seriously since 2021 and getting good results. The way we built was upside down but to now to focus on 5 years down the road is changing tack again.

We'll lose that older generation and then be a long way back again. We should be trying to stay competitive while building up. Draft only rebuilds take too long now with all the compromises in the draft. We should be trying to fix holes not fall down the ladder.

The system will get more and more fluid with player movement. Sides at the bottom will struggle to rise if players want out as soon as they hit FA at 25.

If Sos goes we should shop around for an elite list manager as a priority.

Pelican was the footy manager. ( though he well and truly had his fingers in the list management ).
Trout was head of recruiting.
Trout wears most of the blame IMO.
Trout became list manager some time after that and Libratore became recruitment manager.

He didn't 'literally' do that.

We traded our first round pick, for multiple first round picks then used those picks to bring in multiple players. One of the first rounders we possessed during that time was then used to pick Serong. There is nothing factual that exists to say whether we would have picked him with that pick or not.

Only our original pick would have got Serong.

Need to keep it simple this off season. It's unfortunate that Battle seems to be leaving but at least a top 6 pick is good compo. Take two of the best 18 year old mids in the draft, select best available players with another 2-3 picks and give a couple of rookie spots to players who we think might be the next Milne/Sinclair/Wilkie/Marshall.

Clear out the players who are cooked (Ross, Jones, Membrey). Figure out whether Crouch's knee will hold up. Cut the ones who aren't going to make it (Allison, Hotton, Hayes).

Going into 2025 we'd have a senior core of:

Marshall
Wilkie
Steele
Sinclair
NWM
Higgins
King
Hill
Henry
Wood

With a young developing core of:

Pou
Owens
Windy
Wilson
Caminiti
Schoenmaker
Pick 4
Pick 5

Potentially adding the likes of Collard, Keeler, Heath, Garcia and Hastie to that young core if they come on as well.

Then come 2025 off season we can attack FA and try to lure senior players who will be able to play alongside our existing senior core plus the younger core who should be much more capable for the start of the 2026 season.

If an opportunity presents itself this year to take on a salary dump and improve our draft position we should jump on that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back