List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

So 2 years ago , Battle signed a 2 year contract.
Who was it wanted to limit it to 2 years? ( He got the same contract length as Allison ).

This piece said....
Battle was touted as a possible trade target by rival clubs last year and has attracted interest again in 2022, but his new deal will take him through to free agency.

The 193cm, 92kg backman is rated elite among key defenders for disposals, kicks, marks and metres gained across the first 20 rounds.

Lack of vision from the club

Barrett is a total campaigner.
Interprets anything in the most negative way when it comes to StKilda.
Sucks off any of the big clubs.
He is a prime AFL lap dog....Damo , go prepare the footy public for us to **** StKilda over FA compo,
If Mr Barrett ever follows the lead of a Mike Sheahen and does a show like Open Mike, I want Jacko to be the first guest. Should be interesting.

Battle's manager ( Connors )? might have accepted a lower offer if it took him to free agency.
Free agents are more likely to get big pay, because clubs can get them without a trade.
If he'd been in the top 25% of salary's at the Saints he'd have been restricted, but he'd have got a payday whether we matched or not.

Housten staying at port

Houston... we don't have a problem

Apollo 13 Applause GIF by US National Archives

There is also a loop hole that is known in the industry.

A front loaded contract in 2025 - could place Battle in the top 5% of the league for that season.

Which would add additional points to the above and trigger band 1.

Different to his average salary across the deal trigger.
If that's allowed then its even more certain we'll get Band 1 compo.

the saltiest of the saltiest, Purple, thinks it will he band one.

geez, some glass houses over this one haha

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Purple is a grade A premium flip flopping flog, throw him in with Morris who is a spiteful goblin who got put in his place by Lyon, regularly forgets his own history and should just be grateful he was let back into the industry.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t mind having a look at leek aleer. He’s stuck behind some very strong defenders at gws but has mountains of potential.
They’ll use stop gaps and draft Cole & potentially another with Trainor being someone they liked the look of.

They want to buy back into this first round or trade their way back into it by targeting GC Brisbane Carlton

So 2 years ago , Battle signed a 2 year contract.
Who was it wanted to limit it to 2 years? ( He got the same contract length as Allison ).

This piece said....
Battle was touted as a possible trade target by rival clubs last year and has attracted interest again in 2022, but his new deal will take him through to free agency.

The 193cm, 92kg backman is rated elite among key defenders for disposals, kicks, marks and metres gained across the first 20 rounds.

Most players will only sign until they reach FA status to maximise their earning potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you do realise Josh has to want a longer deal, the club could have offered 4+ but you can't force the player to sign.
on top of that many many many players are aligning contract lengths with free agency periods to maximise options and value.

I get most are shitty with the club but some of this also has to be placed at Josh's feet

If Josh compo is end of Round 1:
Is it before or after the North freebies at #19 and #20 ?
If there’s more than one end of Round 1 compo, how are they ranked?

Maybe the club saw enough in Arie Schoenmaker as a ready made replacement for Josh Battle, knowing that Battle was torn between two loves & with us hopefully getting Band 1, thought it was the perfect chance to get another high draft pick.
I know Arie only has had the 4 games & I know stats don’t tell everything, but with a solid preseason & confidence in knowing his role, he could be well on the way to fulfilling that role for at least the next four years.

View attachment 2096261
I don't understand why people say this, they're entirely different players.. Ari is like a tall but slower Nas, his lock down and contest work when the ball is in the air is really quite average currently

edit: Comparing Ari's contest to Nas is unfair on Nas, he's better than people give him credit for imo

Last edited:
cost vs age, just doesn't align with where our list is heading

How ignorant is that guy, what a bitter and twisted tool. Something has happened between him and the club over time and he carries a grudge like no other, absolutely poisonous.
The guy is an absolute flog. He reckons we don't deserve band 1 but in the Hawthorn segment refers to Battle as a gun pick up. Pity that the little angry man, Clarkson, didn't put him through the wall when he eyeballed Purple a few years back.

Great post.

I wouldn't gloss over Callum Wilkie's impact on the emergence of Battle, and our entire defensive unit for that matter, as well. I think the Hawks would be hoping that Barrass can do the same, but it takes time to find synergy in a team sport. Will be an interesting watch.

Excellent point. Battle has been an important element in our backline, but the mix of players around him, and the synergy of the back 6, has propelled his career forward.

It has been, along with Lyon’s identification of him in a Sam Fisher type role, the greatest factor in Battle’s development.

You can’t buy chemistry and synergy. You can’t just pick it up and plonk it somewhere else.

It’s possible he is not the same player at Hawthorn as he has been with us since 2023. He should be. But time will tell.

I know one thing. Battle owes his career to Ross Lyon. Because he was struggling to be even a good ordinary player before Lyon arrived.

We will replace him. It may take part of next season, but we will replace him.

Who do you think our our small defenders moving forward?
Max Heath and Keeler should be fine

Nah i think Webster has at least a year in him then Hastie takes over , Bowey is more your rebound backman like Sincs I think , maybe I'm wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back