List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

you do realise Josh has to want a longer deal, the club could have offered 4+ but you can't force the player to sign.
on top of that many many many players are aligning contract lengths with free agency periods to maximise options and value.

I get most are shitty with the club but some of this also has to be placed at Josh's feet
Probably not worth blaming anyone really.

I have my opinion about the way the club handled it but its business for both parties, were the ones who make it personal.

Left field idea here... Rather than trade Membrey, put him down back in Battles position. Ratten used to throw him back towards the end of quarters to stop red-time goals and he would regularly take multiple intercept marks
Membrey only intercepted because he played as a 7th defender without an opponent. If he has to play accountable then I doubt its worth the move. Would much rather move Caminiti back and develop a long-term option which is what we need, not short-term fixes

Membrey only intercepted because he played as a 7th defender without an opponent. If he has to play accountable then I doubt its worth the move. Would much rather move Caminiti back and develop a long-term option which is what we need, not short-term fixes
I agree. But if we’re looking long term it’s probably worth getting a good block of games into Ari, McKlennan or Cole (assuming we get him and he’s not out of his depth).

Meh, I just don't see caminiti as a intercept defender. Ari is the long term option

Excellent point. Battle has been an important element in our backline, but the mix of players around him, and the synergy of the back 6, has propelled his career forward.

It has been, along with Lyon’s identification of him in a Sam Fisher type role, the greatest factor in Battle’s development.

You can’t buy chemistry and synergy. You can’t just pick it up and plonk it somewhere else.

It’s possible he is not the same player at Hawthorn as he has been with us since 2023. He should be. But time will tell.

I know one thing. Battle owes his career to Ross Lyon. Because he was struggling to be even a good ordinary player before Lyon arrived.

We will replace him. It may take part of next season, but we will replace him.
Not sure Ross saved him , he was pretty good in 2022 and even 2019 , maybe being a better team has helped as well , did you think about that or did you just want to put the foot in Ratts and Richo

I agree. But if we’re looking long term it’s probably worth getting a good block of games into Ari, McKlennan or Cole (assuming we get him and he’s not out of his depth).
Yeah but you can't just throw kids in if they're not ready. Let them develop their craft in the VFL, then let it accelerate at AFL level when they're ready

McLennan firstly isn't big enough to play as a 3rd tall imo, probably a long-term Webster replacement

Cole is extremely raw and needs to build defensive craft. Also needs to get confidence back with his shoulder after surgery last year

Arie showed glimpses offensively but he'd be a liability in our defence if he played AFL

Caminiti has at least shown that he can intercept, just needs to build that defensive craft and with Battle leaving the role where you don't have to be as accountable as say FB or CHB, its the perfect opportunity to give him a run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 15-25ish

Considering our backline next year should be Wilkie, Doug, Caminiti, I don't think its the optimal use of that pick
Hammer is forward long term for me. his field kicking out of defence (thinking about the difference between him and battle..) would be tough to watch all year even he clunked the odd intercept CM.

I'm comfortable moving Arie into the team and hopefully have Webster play a more defensive role helping cover him

This talk about Cole even being in calculations is the biggest load of fairy dust i have ever seen sprinkled around , he hardly got near it when playing for Sandy , he may make it but at this stage he is miles off it

The famous Membrey pause wouldn't work to well in the backline either.

This talk about Cole even being in calculations is the biggest load of fairy dust i have ever seen sprinkled around , he hardly got near it when playing for Sandy , he may make it but at this stage he is miles off it
He was bad against the Bombers , got 10 disposals and 3 marks against the tigers.

Hammer is forward long term for me. his field kicking out of defence (thinking about the difference between him and battle..) would be tough to watch all year even he clunked the odd intercept CM.

I'm comfortable moving Arie into the team and hopefully have Webster play a more defensive role helping cover him
Hammer's kicking is actually solid, he just has zero experience in defence so his decision making is horrible

All his turnovers are because of decision making - he doesn't miskick the ball as often as it may seem. Easy to train over a pre-season

Webster is already playing as defensive as you can get - 1v1 on the opposition's best small forward. He can't cover two players. Arie playing as a third tall at this stage is a pipe dream

Since when did a lockdown full back have to "get near it"??

If you genuinely think Cole won't make it because he didn't accumulate a few more disposals then you really need to study what type of player he is

Since when did a lockdown full back have to "get near it"??

If you genuinely think Cole won't make it because he didn't accumulate a few more disposals then you really need to study what type of player he is
Ok Chief , i will get onto it just for you

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back