List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ll use stop gaps and draft Cole & potentially another with Trainor being someone they liked the look of.

They want to buy back into this first round or trade their way back into it by targeting GC Brisbane Carlton

Surely we target Essendon’s first rounder by threatening to take Kako and giving them back a future first and late picks for bid matching

Battle has elite endurance and elite disposal (along with other attributes) and is 25.

Ross (and enright) will be crying into their cornflakes over losing a guy like that- no question.

Our entire gameplan depends on elite endurance and disposal from the backline.
He's not irreplaceable- but he is exactly the kind of guy we want/need in order to execute our game plan.

Him leaving is a big hit to our backline- we need to hope that a guy like tomlinson or whoever can duplicate battle (in terms of disposal, endurance and accountability 1v1).

If his replacement doesn't do that- our whole team performance will suffer far more than losing say a wing or fwd
100% on point. No obvious replacement of a skillset essential to our style

you do realise Josh has to want a longer deal, the club could have offered 4+ but you can't force the player to sign.
on top of that many many many players are aligning contract lengths with free agency periods to maximise options and value.

I get most are shitty with the club but some of this also has to be placed at Josh's feet
...AND reneging on their long term contracts anyway...

Surely we target Essendon’s first rounder by threatening to take Kako and giving them back a future first and late picks for bid matching
Potentially.

Still 6 weeks away - but I imagine Essendon will bank on getting a player in before the bid

Pick 15-25ish

Considering our backline next year should be Wilkie, Doug, Caminiti, I don't think its the optimal use of that pick
Everywhere I look I see you running with this narrative that Caminiti will play back.

The expectation is that Membrey is going.

They will target the likes of Tomlinson and Haynes to cover Battle whilst they develop the kids like Arie Cole and if we draft him, Trainor.

Caminiti will be needed forward.

They may even continue bringing in a key back they looked at in preparation for if Howard left and Wilkie can play a more intercept role ala Weitering

Everywhere I look I see you running with this narrative that Caminiti will play back.

They will target the likes of Tomlinson and Haynes to cover Battle whilst they develop the kids like Arie Cole and if we draft him, Trainor.

They may even continue bringing in a key back they looked at in preparation for if Howard left and Wilkie can play a more intercept role ala Weitering
We’re getting Weitering!!!!
It’s happening!!!

There is also a loop hole that is known in the industry.

A front loaded contract in 2025 - could place Battle in the top 5% of the league for that season.

Which would add additional points to the above and trigger band 1.

Different to his average salary across the deal trigger.
There is another loophole which is making the contract 5 years with a soft trigger for year 6. Then the average guaranteed wage is averaged over the 5 years, which is higher if the contract is front loaded than the average over 6 years.

So a 5+1 contract would be very helpful

Last edited:

This trade period is really pulling on my heart strings - losing Membrey would be devastating. I love what he has done, but I guess if he can get 2 or 3 year contract at another club (like North) he has to take it. He has just been such a stallwart forward for us I will hate seeing him playing at another club if it happens.

I can understand the club considering Trainor, but for me taking a tall defender that early defeats any benefit we might gain out of losing Battle. Surely if we intend on drafting one we can look at a player with our 2nd round pick? Given that we offered Battle nearly a million a year I wonder how we are going to spend that money next year?

Derek Hine mentioned the current trend of clubs leaving large numbers of uncontracted players in situ until after the trade/draft periods. It obviously gives clubs the flexibility with list numbers etc but as a player it would be horrible not knowing where you will be playing the following year. You can understand if another club comes with a reasonable contract offer why they would want to take it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point was that the pick isn't worth trading for Aleer, and you proved it

Barrett really is a piece of work.

We don’t deserve first round compensation for losing a 25 year old intercepting defender, who we developed, at the peak of his powers, to a club challenging in finals?

Despite the fact we don’t get the benefits of the Northern Academies, don’t ever benefit from Father and Sons, had a terrible fixture this year, and have not received any charity that a club like North has received, despite having a 60 year Premiership drought.

The AFL spin machine is just putrid. Representative of the rancid integrity of that organisation.
So Barret thinks we should get band 2 which is end of first round but will be around pick 25 after Brisbane Essendon gold coast get free hits without losing a gun, and after gold coast and Sydney use picks handed to North last year for mismanagement and deliberately being shit to get good draft picks. Saints do everything right including refusing to tank. Battle worth far more than pick 25 on the open market.

But we all know where st Kilda sits with the AFL and that we will get band 2

Last edited:
So Barret thinks we should get band 2 which is end of first round but will be around pick 25 after Brisbane Essendon gold coast get free hits without losing a gun, and after gold coast and Sydney use picks handed to North last year for mismanagement and deliberately being shit to get good draft picks. Saints do everything right including refusing to tank. Battle worth far more than pick 25 on the open market.

But we all know where st Kilda sits with the AFL and that we will get band 2

Based on some secret Barrett formula based on teams that "deserve" it.

This trade period is really pulling on my heart strings - losing Membrey would be devastating. I love what he has done, but I guess if he can get 2 or 3 year contract at another club (like North) he has to take it. He has just been such a stallwart forward for us I will hate seeing him playing at another club if it happens.

I can understand the club considering Trainor, but for me taking a tall defender that early defeats any benefit we might gain out of losing Battle. Surely if we intend on drafting one we can look at a player with our 2nd round pick? Given that we offered Battle nearly a million a year I wonder how we are going to spend that money next year?

Derek Hine mentioned the current trend of clubs leaving large numbers of uncontracted players in situ until after the trade/draft periods. It obviously gives clubs the flexibility with list numbers etc but as a player it would be horrible not knowing where you will be playing the following year. You can understand if another club comes with a reasonable contract offer why they would want to take it up.
Macrae signed a big deal a few years ago. No need to do anything other than take the full whack of it and reduce his cost to a late pick.

+ we are still 6 weeks away. See what shakes loose at our club and others.

Barrett really is a piece of work.

We don’t deserve first round compensation for losing a 25 year old intercepting defender, who we developed, at the peak of his powers, to a club challenging in finals?

Despite the fact we don’t get the benefits of the Northern Academies, don’t ever benefit from Father and Sons, had a terrible fixture this year, and have not received any charity that a club like North has received, despite having a 60 year Premiership drought.

The AFL spin machine is just putrid. Representative of the rancid integrity of that organisation.
I cannot agree more

I wonder if we've been on to the out of contract Alex Davies from the Suns. Tall midfielder with basketball background (under 18 national team I think), stuck behind a few midfielders at the Gold Coast, 22 years old. Japanese mother, Aussie dad, sounds familiar...
Apparently Pies and Cats are keen on him. Would really like him at the club. No shame being stuck behind Rowell, Anderson, Miller, Flanders etc

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back