List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve known since before Ross took over that our midfield was weak, we should be more proactive in bringing in an experienced mid like LDU this year, if we wait till next year he will get offers from bigger clubs and we will miss out as usual.
Hopefully we get a good mid to help our kids coming through.
LDU would be perfect but what are our chances.

We have every chance to make a giant leap up the ladder next year - players like King - hasn't been seen for really 2 yrs and no matter what any body says he is a marking target and even used as a decoy will be dangerous and having Henry , Sharman , Owens , Higgins we look dangerous on paper.

Our backline will be strong , mainly because Lyon makes it that way with everyone flooding back.

But as you say our weak link is our midfield and to tell you the truth I feel we might just be turning the corner in that department.

Knowing Marshall is a star , he may well be partnered with another ruck next year - could it be Soldo or a fit Hayes or are they going to get Max King a crack.
However it's the inside and outside mids I really feel we could get a big improvement from.
Windhager was given time in there this year and could easily make a statement next year , Phillipou showed he is going to be a ripper and game changer for us and coming into his 3rd year we could see him raise to the top as a midfielder.
Throw in the ever reliable Steele and a batch of fresh legs when needed like Hunter Clark , even a Zac Jones showed if he can stay healthy he can still be useful however I feel he will be used only when injuries occur , same with Dow.

But you never know what happens next year , we brought in some rookies this year and they have shown enough in there first year to say they are going to be part of the starting lineup.
Wilson could easily become a full on mid , Garcia is a real goer so our options are getting far better - instead of the same old Seb Ross option.

Of course we are going to hit the draft and I fully expect they will pick up the best mid available with our pick 7.

It seems we went backwards this year because we are not playing finals but it might just be what we needed to get the team to really have a crack next year.
WE learnt Sharman can dominate on his day , Wilson is going to be a wizard , Phillipou can be anything and a goal scoring midfielder are hard to find.
Nas has already shown he is already one of the best half backs around and Henry is a spark our team needed.
Thrown in the much maligned King who come easy come to life next season - because he has a lot riding on his next big contract and he will need to turn it on.
Windhager has leadership written all over him and Owens to me is a guy that could explode to be one of the best in the game just by his contested play.

Backed up by our experienced players like Steele , Sinclair , Marshall , Wilkie we are really in a good position knowing our oldest players like Hill and Wood are close to the peak of there game and and due to there elite running / athlete ability could be around for 3 more years.

I must mention Higgins no matter what anybody says this guy is a very good small forward and gets goals- the last time we had a small forward who constantly kicks goals was Milne.
Higgins has be our leading goal kicker the last 2 years with 36 goals in each.

On top of this we have depth , Webster , Stocker , Butler ,Cordy , Hammer , Jones , Byrnes and with untapped ability of kids like Hastie , McLenan , Schoenmaker , Keller , Heath.

Easier to take the Moorabbin Bypass
When a player is battling to get into a midfield which is stacked you could easily pick up a very good play as we found out when we picked up Steele.
Offering a midfield spot with good salary you could easily snag a good player - LDU would be great and he will be looking for his next big contract and we have the money to snare him.

I don't want Laverde at all but in the unfortunate event that he does come to us I'd trust Ross over any other coach to get his best out of him.
It's just good negotiation tactics.
For example, we want Tomlinson but on little money. Laverde plays a similar role but has a different management company.
You play them off against each other to ensure not overpaying the one you want, and if it falls to crap you have a backup option.
Players managers do exactly the same thing to get more money, case in point J. DeGoey to Stkilda.
There's nothing to see here. It's all very standard.

If
1. we take picks 7&8 to the draft this year
2. Plus the 2nd rounder which originally belonged to the Crows, and
3. this draft is reasonably strong and deep, and
4. Dalrymple is the guru we are led to believe and he nails those 3 picks

Then
5. Why not throw next years first round pick at LDU, or Houston or any other decent mid who can make a difference, whilst
6. Still picking off the rough diamonds tucked away on lists with strong midfields

We need to start establishing some hard and fast rules.
1 No trading in Essendon players.
2 No trading in Collingwood players.
3 No hiring ex Hawthorn people as assistants.
4 Don’t trade in players with sketchy injury records.

Last edited:
If
1. we take picks 7&8 to the draft this year
2. Plus the 2nd rounder which originally belonged to the Crows, and
3. this draft is reasonably strong and deep, and
4. Dalrymple is the guru we are led to believe and he nails those 3 picks

Then
5. Why not throw next years first round pick at LDU, or Houston or any other decent mid who can make a difference, whilst
6. Still picking off the rough diamonds tucked away on lists with strong midfields
LDU would command 2 or 3x 1stRDPs
Houston will be 28yo and you don't pay big for those guys unless you're list is already built.

We need to start establishing some hard and fast rules.
1 No trading in Essendon players.
2 No trading in Collingwood players.
3 No hiring ex Hawthorn people as assistants.
It's hard when all you can get is scraps. I'd add Dont trade with Port Adelaide but if you need a player, you need a player.
I'd just say
1. Don't trade in players who don't actively want to come to your club.
2. Keep away from players who've been in a bad regime/culture for too long.
3. Never overpay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s why Sos and Gubby are paid the big bucks, to make these things happen.
Look at it this way. If LDU comes on the market, they'll 100% go very hard at him.
If he stays and is a RFA next year then we've already taken 2 top 10 picks in 2024 and can part with just about everything to get him.

Last edited:
Look at it this way. If LDU comes on the market, they'll 100% go very hard at him.
If he stays and is an UFA next year then we've already taken 2 top 10 picks in 2024 and can part with just about everything to get him.
The thing about LDU is that he will be a RFA next year so North will need to weigh up the possibility of waiting till next year when he will get big offers from multiple clubs that North may not be able to match and getting a single pick from the AFL as compo versus trading him now and getting multiple picks for him.

Can I just ask, we have thrown an enormous offer in front of LDU & others.

What more are we supposed to be doing?

Offer him a leadership role, show him our superior health and wellbeing support available through DFC, make sure he’s on the Chery ambassadors list, add a Preliminary Final / GF bonus clause to the offer, tee up some club associates to canvass him with local business investment opportunities, or charity building opportunities, or enrol in learning opportunities, setup an inside media consultancy to focus resources on enhancing his media profile, as well as a career consultant to help plan a future beyond playing.

I won’t even mention the Eyes Wide Shut approach.

Offer him a leadership role, show him our superior health and wellbeing support available through DFC, make sure he’s on the Chery ambassadors list, add a Preliminary Final / GF bonus clause to the offer, tee up some club associates to canvass him with local business investment opportunities, or charity building opportunities, or enrol in learning opportunities, setup an inside media consultancy to focus resources on enhancing his media profile, as well as a career consultant to help plan a future beyond playing.

And is that solely things only the Stkilda FC can offer?

Our strength in negotiations is that we can offer the most money.

I’d argue that’s it.

I’d argue that’s it.
Over the past decade we've usually only attracted talent after a strong season. If we can get back into the finals and look like we're on the right track then players will want to come to us.

I’d argue that’s it.

Okay.

Eyes Wide Shut cruise on the Linfox yacht it is.

We’ve known since before Ross took over that our midfield was weak, we should be more proactive in bringing in an experienced mid like LDU this year, if we wait till next year he will get offers from bigger clubs and we will miss out as usual.
Agree
We cannot play the ‘highest bidder game’
Pick 8 and our future first this year for LDU

Get it done
Would change our team considerably

Agree
We cannot play the ‘highest bidder game’
Pick 8 and our future first this year for LDU

Get it done
Would change our team considerably
North has to want to let him go.

They don’t.

It isn’t as easy as some of you are making out.

The pres could find him some kick backs , the guy is minted

It doesn't matter where he is or who is around him if he's not 100% committed to staying clean.
And by 100% committed we mean he’s showing us, not telling us.

But if he was showing the world he’s changed then every club would be open to getting him and St Kilda would resume normal transmissions from the lower end of the destination ladder.

North has to want to let him go.

They don’t.

It isn’t as easy as some of you are making out.
I realise that however two first rnd picks has to be enticing being he is every chance to walk next year…having pick 2&8 and most likely pick 5&10ish next year on top of the gun mids they already have could build a dynasty list for north.

They should prioritise their 18-20yr old profile and do everything they can to keep that bunch together.

GWS is a great example of what can happen when you have too many midfielders. Tough to keep them all

North have to consider trying to get trainor being their key position stocks are terrible…opposite problem to our list.
LDU for another gun mid and an elite back…this year..and then another key position next year..Worth considering

Last edited:
The thing about LDU is that he will be a RFA next year so North will need to weigh up the possibility of waiting till next year when he will get big offers from multiple clubs that North may not be able to match and getting a single pick from the AFL as compo versus trading him now and getting multiple picks for him.
Sorry typo, he's a RFA yes.
I don't think any of that matters. I assume that Norff will have the capacity to match any offer so they'll hold the whip hand. They most certainly should, unless they've been incredibly stupid with their contracts.
North's only equation if he wants out is trade Vs compo, so in our case l think it would be better to have this year's draft under our belt before entering that negotiation.
Our biggest challenge is to put ourselves in consideration with LDU. If by some miracle we can actually do that, then we can stump up 2 or even 3x 1stRDPs while Dalrymple fossicks for gems later in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back