List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

The club will be asking the question of every cheap, key defensive option.

We will need someone mature on the list as a hypothetical Battle replacement and we won't want to pay a lot for it.
Why?

As of today - people should be of the mindset that what we will bring in across probably all lines will be cheap.

Aim is to keep the picks.

Looking at the likes of Soldo Macrae/Peatling Tomlinson/Laverde types.

Unless something major happens in the next 6 weeks that gives us more currency that is…
Why?

I know mids a the biggest needs, I have always felt we have lacked ball use across the high half forward role. I hope we are looking for a Toby Bedford type when GWS nabbed him. He was cheap and gave them someone who covered ground quickly and could use the ball by foot. Having both Owens and butler up there really hurts ball movement. Throw in Hammer who isn’t great a finding targets. That’s 3 of the forward 6 that can’t hit targets. Higgo is our best but also our best deep forward.

If we can’t address the midfield with someone we want I hope this is the next area they are looking at.
I suppose we hope Liam Henry will be that guy and stay injury free.

What exactly do you want them to do? Trade pick 8 for a player like Houston?

Just hit the draft. Throw stupid money at free agents next year and hope we land 1.

As it stands today. There doesn’t appear to be a better plan.

Invest in kids. Bring in cheap stop gaps to support them.

Would have been better to sign Battle and use natural high picks at the draft. If we don’t rate anyone late, top up. At the moment we are going to need to use draft capital on a replacement for Battle. He was also one of the few in his age bracket so kicking the can down the road

North has to want to let him go.

They don’t.

It isn’t as easy as some of you are making out.
Nothings easy but throwing a well overs number at someone like LDU puts enormous pressure on North's salary cap management because they have so many players that will command big big $'s over the next few years.

Nothings easy but throwing a well overs number at someone like LDU puts enormous pressure on North's salary cap management because they have so many players that will command big big $'s over the next few years.
A spud like Stephenson is eating a big bite for little return.
The kids will soon be having their hand out.

Norf are a mindless rabble with a racist/homophobic coach, who destroyed their list then got their pet at AFL to give them free picks that nobody else gets.
Hope they are on the bottom for all eternity.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been better to sign Battle and use natural high picks at the draft. If we don’t rate anyone late, top up. At the moment we are going to need to use draft capital on a replacement for Battle. He was also one of the few in his age bracket so kicking the can down the road
We’re always desperate and we’re always trying to figure out the cheat in the game so we can avoid the years of pain that bottoming out brings.

I think this comp is now so badly compromised from the draft to marque games and so on that we have such a narrow path to success without a huge amount of luck it’s just crazy. In addition to all that we’re now staring down Tassie concessions and anyone who thinks they won’t be very generous is just kidding themselves.

If Bassat wants to do something for St Kilda then lawyer up and see what can be done about equality in this comp. Short of that if supporters don’t like going to games having a laugh and being happy with winning 6 - 8 then find a new sport.

I think we need to get a another low pick in this draft, in the teens

After 7 + (hopefully) 8, where's our next pick, late 20's would it be?

Get involved in a trade and get a pick between 10 and 15. No idea who we'd trade to do this. Maybe swap a future first, the time is now

Pick 7 best mid
Pick 8 this Trainor character (Battle replacement)
Pick 12 for example best mid
Late 20's pick another mid preferably a Warner type thanks Simon
Remaining picks Dalrymple get to work some more draft cold expressionless warriors who will ruthelssly adopt Lyon's gameplan + draft Peckett's kid

Flag

Last edited:
If Bassat wants to do something for St Kilda then lawyer up and see what can be done about equality in this comp.

I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers out there willing to take retainers to do nothing, but what would line of attack would these lawyers possibly be using on "equality in this comp"? It's a private organisation, it can set up its rules however it wants.

But that’s exactly what we have done. For multiple players.

This is what a number of posters aren’t grasping. We have thrown money out there to every gun that suits a need.

We struck out this season. Maybe something shakes loose in the next month. But I doubt it.

I think we need to get a another low pick in this draft, in the teens

After 7 + (hopefully) 8, where's our next pick, late 20's would it be?

Get involved in a trade and get a pick between 10 and 15. No idea who we'd trade to do this. Maybe swap a future first, the time is now

Pick 7 best mid
Pick 8 this Trainor character (Battle replacement)
Pick 12 for example best mid
Late 20's pick another mid preferably a Warner type thanks Simon
Remaining picks Dalrymple get to work some more draft cold expressionless warriors who will ruthelssly adopt Lyon's gameplan + draft Peckett's kid

Flag

Trainor will be gone before our pick, North or Melbourne will take him. Bookmark it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers out there willing to take retainers to do nothing, but what would line of attack would these lawyers possibly be using on "equality in this comp"? It's a private organisation, it can set up its rules however it wants.
That’s what you’re paying them to find out. There’s an awful lot of public money going into this “ Private organisation” lots of people hate the afl and would love to bring them down.

I guess a level playing field is too much to ask for.

Where do we get these natural high picks? Keeping our first while taking multiple NGA's for nothing picks?
Keeping our firsts while drafting no.1 picks for nothing lower order draft picks like Collingwood, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Carlton do?
Getting our pet corrupt AFL admin to draft concession picks and then when they get to the AFL allow them?

The only way we are able to get high end multiple draft picks is by trading capital. It shits me no end that we have to play beggar, sell off our best to try and improve while multiple clubs are allowed to draft top players AND keep their first.

We have to let go a player like Battle we have developed and nurtured, then basically destroy the relationship because we are backed into a corner by the AFL. It was him Marshall, Steele, NAZ, Pou who we can trade for top end draft picks.

That is our position. I would love somebody to tell me how we get picks otherwise? Only other way is purchase picks so we chew up our SC to others like one of the 'big' clubs to use on a Lynch or a Cameron or a Petracca, while we get a good underdeveloped kid who we can develop and then have to sell again to get a decent draft hand.

Maybe canny live trading like getting a second for free and still get Wilson like last year. However the random 2nd rounder wont get us near the top four.

This is not grievance, this is a fact created by the AFL allowing booster clubs to have multiple free NGA's multiple Father Sons, both still keeping their first, and corrupt free draft picks for a rabble club that purposely destroyed its list then siphons off the top kids.

I hated losing Battle, will feel maybe OK if we get 8, barely enough. If we get anything less it is a disaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back