List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane have one and GWS zero.

If you believe Wheelo we have 1 and North have 3. Melbourne have 2.

Having a good injury run will make us much more competitive. I think we could easily bring in a guy like Macrae as a bridge and play finals. This club loves excuses.
Finals in 20, finals in 23, nowhere near top 4 let alone contender.
So finals in 25 is worthless unless we have continued finals series like in 2004 to 2011, then and only then will we compete.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good clubs don't loose players that they want to keep and not many shit ones do. I'm nearly certain that the club has told him that they'd rather him walk as long as it gets us band one.

If they were keen they would have spend weeks on the phone to the manager and worked out a deal.

Based on what? How do you know they haven't spent weeks on the phone but the manager won't budge?

You make stuff up that you have no idea about.

Drop Battle for the final two games. Obvious he is gone, get Arie in or Keeler down back.

He can start training early with the Poos and Wees

Tough to drop him based on his form. But it is reasonable to manage him. Doubt the club does it though.

Imagine if he has a serious knee injury in the last 2 games.

He’s gone. No doubt. Didn’t even say he wants to stay at the club. How hard is it to say that?

Best for the club to protect its investment while blooding some young lads with an eye to the future. Battle will not be a part of that future.

I reckon if he goes it’s simply that he wants to play for the Hawks and Sam Mitchell.

I imagine our offer is good enough if he wants to stay - most FAs knock back bigger amounts to stay put.

If he doesn’t want to play for us it is sad, but we move on.
There is a photo floating around of a young Battle in Braces wearing a particular jumper

I bet that helps tugging on the heart strings

gaaaaaaaaawn

i thought he might actually re sign

shouldn't be surprised tho
family loves hawks, he loves hawks and mitchell

we have lost better and survived

good luck to him
We've had plenty leave and get glory elsewhere. Up to those at the club to turn that around, I hope he regrets the decision one day, history suggests he won't but hopefully we can finally rewrite the script.

I hope Josh stays, but a top pick is pretty good compensation.
We just better get two genuine mids....not HBF who could turn into mids, or small forwards who can run through the midfield for 5 mins.

We want inside grunt with speed and skill x 2.

I hope they get they go best available. We are stacked with mids if they all stay fit. It would be better to invest in fitness and training staff. You can play three full time mids and some rotations.

We have Windy, Steele, Phillipou, Jones, Dow, Clark, Garcia, *Ross, *Crouch. Then developing mids in Hotton, Hall etc. Then the wings with Wilson, Henry, Hill, Wood, Byrnes.

Then we'll add a mid with out natural pick. Turn Battle into a mid, then probably take a mid with our second rounder. Pick up Peckett as an FS too. That's 13 mids for 3 spots (excluding the wings and the likely delisted mids).

You also need to balance your three mids with a couple of contested inside bulls and a more distributing second possession inside type.

The injuries hit our tall stocks next year and we'll have to trade out mids for more tall backs. We don't need numbers we need top end mids.

No hate to the kid, but he is only being mentioned in any draft thread due to his NGA connection. Maybe he actually gets drafted and develops but we really shouldn't be expecting anything from someone just because of they are in our academy.
He also played for our VFL side over the weekend and well and truly held his own. Looked comfortable. Only 15 or so other prospects have played state league footy so far so you’re definitely under-selling him here

In-form Giant on trade watch​

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.
Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
He also picked up six votes against Melbourne a fortnight earlier, and is averaging almost 21 disposals, seven clearances and nine tackles across the past four weeks to emerge as an unlikely key part of the Giants’ six-match winning streak.
GWS plucked Peatling from their VFL team in the 2021 mid-season draft, and he has become head recruiter Adrian Caruso’s latest bargain-basement gem, playing 41 games since.
A new deal at the Giants is not imminent, a well-placed source told this masthead on the condition of anonymity, with unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Nick Haynes all drawing rival interest as well.
First-round picks Conor Stone and Ryan Angwin are also on expiring contracts, while the likes of Finn Callaghan, Brent Daniels and Lachie Ash are out of contract next season.

Goalkicking Saint being monitored

St Kilda free agent Tim Membrey’s good recent form has him on the radar of clubs looking for a goalkicking forward to complement their attack.
The 30-year-old has kicked 11 goals in four matches as he has stepped up to fill the void left by injured key forward Max King and reminded opposition clubs of his talent.
Two industry sources confirmed clubs lacking firepower were monitoring his progress as he remains unsigned at the Saints, where he has shown leadership in 176 matches at the club.
Saints veteran [PLAYERCARD]Tim Membrey[/PLAYERCARD] prepares to mark on the lead.

Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints recently re-signed Cooper Sharman, while King is locked in until the end of 2026. This masthead can also reveal Mason Wood has been locked in to play with St Kilda next season.
The defence-oriented Saints are alongside Richmond and North Melbourne as Victorian-based teams unable to kick decent scores this season.

As I said last week. If he had signed it was the best kept secret.

Clearly hasn’t.

And that was uncomfortable to watch

he did not look comfortable answering those questions. painful. was like watching a kid lie to his grand parent, knowing he's gonna get caught.

Will be hard to watch Josh in other colours but it’s the right move for everyone.

The AFL don’t kiss us on the dick with concessions unfortunately. Big opportunity for Shoenmaker next year.

schoenmaker is no where near ready.

we are gonna concede 2-4 extra goals a game. i can't see us improving next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals in 20, finals in 23, nowhere near top 4 let alone contender.
So finals in 25 is worthless unless we have continued finals series like in 2004 to 2011, then and only then will we compete.

We are as competitive as any side since we had players coming back from injury. Blame Ross Lyon's fitness staff. Look at the number of injuries especially to mids and and forwards and you'll see why we are struggling to make finals.

Crouch going down is probably the number one reason we missed but also add injury to Henry, Wood, Sinclair, Butler, King, Windhager, Ross, Membrey, Phillipou, Dow, Caminiti, Hayes, Clark, Jones, Howard, Van Es etc. We are still missing players but have a much better forward set up and midfield available.

Carlton, Essendon, Freo all have been recent top 4 and all potentially miss finals. Brisbane were bottom of the ladder and are now probably premiership favourites. GWS and Dogs on a similar path. Adelaide and St Kilda are the two best performed bottom 6 sides in history I think they said on SEN yesterday.

On Champion Data we have a defence/ attack balance that stacks up for a premiership tilt. Carlton don't. The competition has never been more even. We have heaps of youth so much more players in the right age range to make a massive improvement quickly.

This bullshit waiting for years hoping for a goldilocks list while starting a long way back from the full bottom out sides in absolute bullshit cuck crap. Lyon needs to stop tucking into his Red Rooter and start moving us forward now.

gaaaaaaaaawn

i thought he might actually re sign

shouldn't be surprised tho
family loves hawks, he loves hawks and mitchell

we have lost better and survived

good luck to him

As Ross Lyon has said, there are Premierships and then there are Premierships.

A St Kilda Flag is precious. Akin to finding the Holy Grail. Its significance, with its rarity and significance, gazumps anything a player can achieve at another club.

Lyon is 100% correct.

I’d love us to win a Flag. It would be emotional and special, not just for us, but for the football world. What a story it would be.

I hope it happens while Battle is still playing because he could have been part of it but chose not to be.

I sincerely wish him well. He’s been a fantastic player for our club. But he’ll leave us not because we don’t want him, but because he doesn’t want us.

His loss. Hope he lives to regret it.

He also played for our VFL side over the weekend and well and truly held his own. Looked comfortable. Only 15 or so other prospects have played state league footy so far so you’re definitely under-selling him here

Hoff looks okay but nothing outstanding. There are a plenty of good players available this draft. Not sure he's guaranteed a spot yet. Maybe a rookie? I wouldn't be surprised if Peckett has pinched that list spot.

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.
Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
He also picked up six votes against Melbourne a fortnight earlier, and is averaging almost 21 disposals, seven clearances and nine tackles across the past four weeks to emerge as an unlikely key part of the Giants’ six-match winning streak.
GWS plucked Peatling from their VFL team in the 2021 mid-season draft, and he has become head recruiter Adrian Caruso’s latest bargain-basement gem, playing 41 games since.
A new deal at the Giants is not imminent, a well-placed source told this masthead on the condition of anonymity, with unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Nick Haynes all drawing rival interest as well.
First-round picks Conor Stone and Ryan Angwin are also on expiring contracts, while the likes of Finn Callaghan, Brent Daniels and Lachie Ash are out of contract next season.

Goalkicking Saint being monitored

St Kilda free agent Tim Membrey’s good recent form has him on the radar of clubs looking for a goalkicking forward to complement their attack.
The 30-year-old has kicked 11 goals in four matches as he has stepped up to fill the void left by injured key forward Max King and reminded opposition clubs of his talent.
Two industry sources confirmed clubs lacking firepower were monitoring his progress as he remains unsigned at the Saints, where he has shown leadership in 176 matches at the club.
Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.

Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints recently re-signed Cooper Sharman, while King is locked in until the end of 2026. This masthead can also reveal Mason Wood has been locked in to play with St Kilda next season.
The defence-oriented Saints are alongside Richmond and North Melbourne as Victorian-based teams unable to kick decent scores this season.

That Peatling talk is interesting. Looks to be running into some form, 16 coaches votes in the last few weeks. Might be a decent cheap mid.

That Peatling talk is interesting. Looks to be running into some form, 16 coaches votes in the last few weeks. Might be a decent cheap mid.
Or it’s Sam Flanders all over again and plays like a star that ends up staying

Melbourne and WCE are a huge **** off billboard type level advertisement as to why you should never spend much time out of finals. suddenly best 22 crucial parts of your list want out.
Melbourne playing list issues are caused by Goodwin

Not to toot my own horn or anything

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2024-trade-thread-no-1.1377556/post-84193015

Melbourne playing list issues are caused by Goodwin
they didnt have an issue with him when they were winning and by all accounts they've gone at lengths to tell everyone its not about the coach

honestly goodwin is a **** wit by all accounts. surprised he's been allowed too by the AFL given the information thats been disclosed.

schoenmaker is no where near ready.

we are gonna concede 2-4 extra goals a game. i can't see us improving next year.
We are a systems based team especially the defence. I love Battle but the reason he has been so good is because of our system. He is able to peel off and take lots of intercept marks. He is not an exceptional one on one defender. He does have excellent disposal.

I'm sure we will have a plan to replace him and work around him with our system, whether it's a trade or a player on the list. The fact that we're no longer experimenting with guys back there suggests to me we probably have someone lined up.

Don't think it's as simple as we will be 2-4 goals worse without him.

We are a systems based team especially the defence. I love Battle but the reason he has been so good is because of our system. He is able to peel off and take lots of intercept marks. He is not an exceptional one on one defender. He does have excellent disposal.

I'm sure we will have a plan to replace him and work around him with our system, whether it's a trade or a player on the list. The fact that we're no longer experimenting with guys back there suggests to me we probably have someone lined up.

Don't think it's as simple as we will be 2-4 goals worse without him.

who have we tried in battles role?

schoenmaker aint it. he cant defend. he's more a bonner type.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back