List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the sponsorship curse is going strong...

What would he be waiting for to confirm
he’s staying? What’s going to change between now and then? Would have been a huge announcement for the club to make if he was staying.

He’s gone.
His choice. I don’t have a problem with it, as in I’ll be sorry to lose him but not going to dislike him for making it. These players need to make the best decisions for themselves in a short career life.

I guess the fact that if he goes at least there’ll be a benefit attached makes it easier to accept too.

AFL is a finite highly disposal venture, so right now he'd be deciding how best to be remembered versus how to set himself up for life after the footy since we effectively got him as a school kid, and now he's a "do I go for 6+m or 5+m and does the gap matter" type instance.

We've been rather open club wise to state no pressure, hands off, safe space and wave pom poms with such things, so you'd have to think there's no current pressure from the club to push the needle too far too fast, and realistically there's what 2 weeks and you're the thinking exit interviews more than likely. So why rush?

Then Battle strikes me as a smart guy, and generally you STFU and let people swoon over a guy named Tom as others will fan those flames and you won't have to lift a finger to get a potentially better deal just by association.

Despite the draft benefits, it's a big step back for the team if Josh goes to Hawthorn.

We need to cover his position and we need to find another person to mould into captaincy material.

Who should take over captaincy from Jack Steele?

Wilkie, Windy and Mitch are a bit too nice. Higgins has the temperament but maybe not the communication ability. Matteas is too young. King needs less pressure not more. Marshall is too old now. Sinclair is too nice, quiet and old.

Ryan Byrnes maybe, once he's more established?
Mason Wood? Still a bit too nice and getting too old but maybe.

Should be Battle ideally.
Everyone knows I'm not a Byrnes fan but you seriously must be fishing by saying he could possibly be captain one day, I'd love to hear who else thinks that could happen

Ryan Byrnes as captain haha you gotta be joking. It should be Wilkie.

What if the finals sugar hit was a flag sugar hit - is it okay then?

Was looking at coaches votes yesterday out of interest. We have
  • 16 players on the list who have received 10 votes in a game (=1st in comp, with Melbourne)
  • 32 players on the list who have received a vote in any game (1st)
  • 6 players under 22 who have received a vote (1st). Carlton and Essendon have none.

To me, that says that there is a lot of capability and depth right now & the youth is fine. It also suggests that the salary cap might get tight over the coming years and we are already seeing that with Battle. However the "ass" will not fall out if the young guys stick around.

We essentially have the opposite problem to 09/10 in that we have a very strong so-called "bottom six", but lack the star quality at the pointy end. The three guys we do have who are currently AA quality will all be 30+ in a couple of years - if there was ever a time to attract a proper A grader, however impracticable that may be, it is now.

Still think the club are hell bent on destroying the current list and building some fantasy list in 10 years. Getting younger buys Lyon and Basset time.

personal opinion, Petracca isn’t going to win us a flag on his own. We don’t bat deep enough and trading for him would take us out of the first round of this draft and next.

So how do we build out the midfield to support Petracca and Steele?

The ass falls out because as that group falls away due to age. We half baked the youth by not putting enough top end talent into that group.

If this was a free agency scenario. I’d be all in with you here. It’s not. The hypothetical cost would be huge and we lack assets to blow it on a bloke who is 29 at the start of next season.

Your breakdown shows an even contribution.

What it fails to show is that Sydney have 3 in the top 10. The dogs 2. Freo Essendon Carlton Brisbane Collingwood - sides all in or around the finals.

We don’t have a player in the top 20 - of which the clubs in and around finals do.

Brisbane have one and GWS zero.

If you believe Wheelo we have 1 and North have 3. Melbourne have 2.

Having a good injury run will make us much more competitive. I think we could easily bring in a guy like Macrae as a bridge and play finals. This club loves excuses.

Didn’t even say he wants to stay.

But you know…people will say the club is forcing him out.

Good clubs don't loose players that they want to keep and not many shit ones do. I'm nearly certain that the club has told him that they'd rather him walk as long as it gets us band one.

If they were keen they would have spend weeks on the phone to the manager and worked out a deal.

Please bare with me, but I would commit unspeakable war crimes if Battle left and the AFL said "Band 2".

Honestly deserve it. The hubris for a club who has earned no good will in any of their dealings is extraordinary. Maybe if they burn their fingers they'll do less damage in the future.

Good clubs don't loose players that they want to keep and not many shit ones do. I'm nearly certain that the club has told him that they'd rather him walk as long as it gets us band one.

If they were keen they would have spend weeks on the phone to the manager and worked out a deal.
When you sit there making out as if the club is pathetic.

Do you choose to forget that we effectively believed it was a done deal and Battle was Re-signing back in March (as reported by media)?

Brisbane have one and GWS zero.

If you believe Wheelo we have 1 and North have 3. Melbourne have 2.

Having a good injury run will make us much more competitive. I think we could easily bring in a guy like Macrae as a bridge and play finals. This club loves excuses.
Can’t wait to scrape in and play finals only to be knocked out in week 1 again.

Excited Disney GIF

100% gone. At the end of the day can't be displeased with pick 6, even if Battle is a very good player.

Need Arie to step up, I have high hopes for him. Reckon he is going to be a gun.

I would keep Membrey on the list. We may need Hammer down back next year.

Pick 6 is cursed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you sit there making out as if the club is pathetic.

Do you choose to forget that we effectively believed it was a done deal and Battle was Re-signing back in March (as reported by media)?

Tough shit. The goal posts moved. You don't stand dribbling in the middle of the road once a car goes past.

Tough shit. The goal posts moved. You don't stand dribbling in the middle of the road once a car goes past.
Great and Battle isn’t worth handing over a blank cheque so he can write whatever salary he needs to stay.

Suppose both can be true.

Great and Battle isn’t worth handing over a blank cheque so he can write whatever salary he needs to stay.

Suppose both can be true.

Yet we have no issues with cap. Front load it. You can find $50k off several contracts and move them across. He's been lowballed so far, it's his turn to take some pie. He's an unrestricted FA because we paid him FA so far.

Yet we have no issues with cap. Front load it. You can find $50k off several contracts and move them across. He's been lowballed so far, it's his turn to take some pie. He's an unrestricted FA because we paid him FA so far.
We paid him what he was worth at the time.

Probably too hard for you to remember what he was like under Ratten pre Ross.

We have Hofmann coming in as a potential Webster replacement
No hate to the kid, but he is only being mentioned in any draft thread due to his NGA connection. Maybe he actually gets drafted and develops but we really shouldn't be expecting anything from someone just because of they are in our academy.

I reckon if he goes it’s simply that he wants to play for the Hawks and Sam Mitchell.

I imagine our offer is good enough if he wants to stay - most FAs knock back bigger amounts to stay put.

If he doesn’t want to play for us it is sad, but we move on.

Josh Battle is clearly gone and all the best to him but I don’t think he should be doing anymore interviews it’s just to uncomfortable.

We paid him what he was worth at the time.

Probably too hard for you to remember what he was like under Ratten pre Ross.

Anyway. The club will live and die by its list management and performance. If they are out of the 8 for the next 2 seasons they'll all get the arse. The club needs a new board and ideas if they **** this up.

Clean the club out and get some younger ideas and staff in. They can't offer nothing but rebuild after rebuild. They'll bankrupt the club.

They've evaporated so many people's good will and very few people have any hope for the future. Our only joy is seeing Essendon and Carlton hurting as much as us.

Anyway. The club will live and die by its list management and performance. If they are out of the 8 for the next 2 seasons they'll all get the arse. The club needs a new board and ideas if they **** this up.

Clean the club out and get some younger ideas and staff in. They can't offer nothing but rebuild after rebuild. They'll bankrupt the club.

They've evaporated so many people's good will and very few people have any hope for the future. Our only joy is seeing Essendon and Carlton hurting as much as us.
But will they? When you hire mates and then that mate hires mates, no one is truely accountable if/when things go wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back