List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope , was told by a few and what we spoke about there was a few in the group

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

Thanks pebbles. That clears some parts of this up.

Have you, or anyone else, been able to find any info to clarify how the lenght of a contract might weigh into these calculations? Fwiw, comparing it to the above, I imagine that it might look like a 5+ year contract = X points, 4yr = X - Y, 3yr = X -2Y etc.

If we could understand how this (is supposed to) work and if we could roughly work out where Battle might sit on the player pay continuum [earlier in the thread you gave a figure for the top 5% of 900k - I think based on this years payments] it could go some way to building confidence about getting band 1 while we all wait for a ****ing eternity to actually find out.
Yeah that one I'm not sure about. But given that it used to be based on the highest average annual payment for any contract over 2 years, the fact that the length of contract now is factored in is a plus.

Previously a $1M per year, 2 year contract was rated higher than a 6 year contract for $850K per year which was just weird.

At a guess I reckon you are pretty close with the suggestion that they will add points for each year of the length of contract. Maybe an extra 2 points for 4+ years, 1 point for 2 to 4 and zero points for 2 years or less.

Whatever it is, if the length of contract is now a factor it works in our favour re Battle compo.

The club played the same game with Gresham last year, but the difference with Josh is I believe there is no way we would let him

While I understand what you say about Battle, it is is in no way the "same game" as with Gresham.

Battle very much IS first 22 quality in that that mystical Top 4 Contender Team the club is trying to build.

Gresham was not part of that mystical Top 4 Contender Team. We could all see his obvious flaws, after he stagnated with us, in part probably due to some of the injuries he had. Gresham was someone that the club new we could improve on. Whereas Battle has continued to get better and is now entering his best years. If Gresham has stayed, yes he would have played some games this year, but ultimately he was always going to get squeezed out.

With Battle the logic is that IF we get Band 1, then his going will help us secure the component that we need most to become that mystical Top 4 Contender Team, a quality midfield.. No Band 1, then the, so that i Club has not played the game well enough. The odds that we will gain an upgrade for the mystical Top 4 Contender Team with Band 2- compensation pick, which will slide, is very low.

With a Band 1, the odds that we gain a quality mid for that mystical Top 4 Contender Team is good. Moreso as we get two cracks at it with our first two picks. So the odds on at least one of those two picks becoming a gun mid are greater.

Now dinting that hope/plan now is that with the Dees have crashed and burnt, the Suns staggered to the end of season, and the Blues have gone on an injury bender.....whereas the Saints have been on the rise and so the bookies now have us favourites to knock off the Blues tomorrow.

Now as much I delight in knocking off the Blues that will mean that we get pick/s 7/8, rather than potentially 5/6.

As such our pick 7/8 sadly becomes more a Bradbury Selection in us Phillipou like (hopefully we have the same good fortune) choosing the mid/s that slides to us, rather than having the ability to choose one/two mids from a group of worthy prospects. That may mean getting a mid/s with not quite the the desired characteristics.

It also may mean that our future is going to very much be decided by luck, rather than the skill of our recruitment team.

Last edited:
So are we saying it wasn't discussed back January that we wanted to get back into the top end of this draft and SOS & Gubby decided it would be Battle that would be used for this, well before the season had even started

Is the reason Battle changed his mind after the Pies game that he and his management found out/got pissed when they got wind of what was going on, maybe the same reason Steele is pissed because the 2 incompetent fools that are SOS & Gubby tried to flog off the Captain of the club without even speaking to him ?

If Battle leaves for anything less then pick 7 the fools from list management should be marched out the front door

So everyone blaming Battle or wondering why he is leaving there is always 2 sides of a story

Gubby is a dinosaur and SOS seems to upset every place he works

For the reasons I just posted, this could well be another Pelchen Moment where the plan was we ship off Goddard and Dal to get a better mystical Top 4 Contender Team Result and ended up achieving the complete opposite.

Both plans sounded good in theory, but the first one ended badly, and we simply cannot afford for this plan to also end badly.

Apart from it possibly weakening that mystical Top 4 Contender Team, it will also if we do not achieve that extra very good mid for Battle have sent a message to every decent talent on our list that they may as well too leave for greener pastures.

ie Phllipou is out of contract at the end of 2026. We all know that he is very driven for success. And if we have not secured some gun midfield mates for him by then, one could easily see him as departing.

This draft is to me very much a make, or break, draft for our club. We do not just want those two early-ish picks, we NEED them.

This is rare chance for us to get what we need.

For the reasons I just posted, this could well be another Pelchen Moment where the plan was we ship off Goddard and Dal to get a better mystical Top 4 Contender Team Result and ended up achieving the complete opposite.

Both plans sounded good in theory, but the first one ended badly, and we simply cannot afford for this plan to also end badly.

Apart from it possibly weakening that mystical Top 4 Contender Team, it will also if we do not achieve that extra very good mid for Battle have sent a message to every decent talent on our list that they may as well too leave for greener pastures.

ie Phllipou is out of contract at the end of 2026. We all know that he is very driven for success. And if we have not secured some gun midfield mates for him by then, one could easily see him as departing.

This draft is to me very much a make, or break, draft for our club. We do not just want those two early-ish picks, we NEED them.

They are trying to tell us that the only way to improve rapidly is to gamble. You literally don’t. Selling your car to go to the pokies might get you richer but it probably won’t. If we end up with a player better than Battle it will be luck. Probably less than 10 percent.

Their other excuse is that it will finally fix the midfield. Like someone saying that they have to sell the house to go on holiday because they forgot to save for one.

There should be zero excuses for Lyon and Sos, if he fails to make finals next year there should be a review and a new board. We can’t afford for these dickheads to go down another wrong path. Buying 5 years of rudderless leaders talking about some El Dorado while ****ing the list isn’t it.

Dad’s army are still living in 2005. Get some young ambitious talent in and steal a good list manager.

💯 %
Anything but the pick straight after our 1st pick is a disaster and there can be no excuses for this, list management have out smarted themselves and should be shown the door if it happens

With our list age Battle is the perfect player to take us forward as a leader

You mean pick 7, 8, 25 & 46 ...... which will actually end up being picks 9, 10 ......

Or maybe even not 10 but 21
They only become 9 and 10 because of the others not available to us anyway.

stfan I was in the we cant lose Battle camp for sometime, but then I realised no matter how much I flog the key board its not going to change the clubs decision. I also agree with others who suggest Battle has been basically pushed out, but again we cant change it. Although there remains some responsibility on the Hawthorn deal with Josh. I also remain concerned that RTB and the recruitment team aren't aligned when it comes to the clubs late resurgence.

If SOS and Gubby f*ck up the compensation received, I will lead the charge to drag them out and torch them, but surely they are entitled to some degree of trust.

Its also correct the further we go up the ladder the less benefit of losing Battle will have come draft night. Dalrymple is going to have the most important night of his career. Accordingly the concerns held are reasonable, but we can bleat all day on the forum it will change zip. Its almost a form of self flagellation for some!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

💯 %
Anything but the pick straight after our 1st pick is a disaster and there can be no excuses for this, list management have out smarted themselves and should be shown the door if it happens

With our list age Battle is the perfect player to take us forward as a leader
We can’t even tank properly, what do we have to gain by winning this week. Just watch us turn pick 5 into pick 7 by winning a meaningless game. So even if we get the pick straight after our first we’ve turned 5/6 into 7/8, you can’t make up the stuff this club does on the regular.

Stop and have a think about the new ruthless, pragmatic leadership thats nudged battle out and shopped Steele around but dilutes its draft hand winning ego matches. I have no idea what Allen does that’s the impact he’s had and as for SOS he has a checkered record at best.

stfan I was in the we cant lose Battle camp for sometime, but then I realised no matter how much I flog the key board its not going to change the clubs decision. I also agree with others who suggest Battle has been basically pushed out, but again we cant change it. Although there remains some responsibility on the Hawthorn deal with Josh. I also remain concerned that RTB and the recruitment team aren't aligned when it comes to the clubs late resurgence.

If SOS and Gubby f*ck up the compensation received, I will lead the charge to drag them out and torch them, but surely they are entitled to some degree of trust.

Its also correct the further we go up the ladder the less benefit of losing Battle will have come draft night. Dalrymple is going to have the most important night of his career. Accordingly the concerns held are reasonable, but we can bleat all day on the forum it will change zip. Its almost a form of self flagellation for some!

I agree with all of that.

I just really, really , really hope that our list team have done their due diligence 100% correct including getting a nudge, nudge, wink, wink from the AFL as to what WILL generate Band 1 for us and that our contract offer was enough to generate it, and that the Hawks will match it.

As I posted, I see this as a make, or break, matter for us. It is Band 1 or Bust (In terms of becoming a Top4 contender).

Land it, and we can continue our recent good list rebuild, and hopefully secure the missing part of our Team Jigsaw.

Miss it and we may just remain a middling team, starting most centre bounces effecting on our HB line trying to win the ball back.

Gun mids are the hardest to Jig Saw pieces to get, and while we remain low to middling on the ladder I cannot see us getting one by trade or FA......so getting access to 2 lowish picks in a midfielder heavy draft could just what we lead.

Unfortunately knock off the Blues and it will mean we are really on Bradbury selections to slip through to us to get what we need. Though at least it does seem a draft for that. I would much rather 5/6 than 7/8 though.

We can’t even tank properly, what do we have to gain by winning this week. Just watch us turn pick 5 into pick 7 by winning a meaningless game. So even if we get the pick straight after our first we’ve turned 5/6 into 7/8, you can’t make up the stuff this club does on the regular.

Stop and have a think about the new ruthless, pragmatic leadership thats nudged battle out and shopped Steele around but dilutes its draft hand winning ego matches. I have no idea what Allen does that’s the impact he’s had and as for SOS he has a checkered record at best.

That's the point I was trying to make. It makes no sense at all. If they have this plan to be ruthless as you say, and shop quality players around, why the hell wouldn't you play the kids when you had a chance towards the end of the season in an effort to get as high a draft pick as possible? I honestly can't get my head around it.

I've enjoyed the wins as much as anyone but ffs if you've got a plan, see it through.

I feel as a club we seriously lack vision.

Who did we end up getting for Goddard and Dal?

That's the point I was trying to make. It makes no sense at all. If they have this plan to be ruthless as you say, and shop quality players around, why the hell wouldn't you play the kids when you had a chance towards the end of the season in an effort to get as high a draft pick as possible? I honestly can't get my head around it.

I've enjoyed the wins as much as anyone but ffs if you've got a plan, see it through.

I feel as a club we seriously lack vision.
Left arm not talking to right arm. SOS v Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back