List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our late form makes me think an older mid isn't the priority it once was. Jones, Clark and Dow showed they just need a decent run and they can be useful.

Peatling or the like is a better option than a stopgap, unless said stopgap comes as a salary dump.
Parker has a contract and stands a better chance of another premiership if he stays in Sydney.
Mcray will be looking for the same if he leaves.

Tomlinson makes sense if Batts leaves. But we don't have a big excess to throw at short term players.
In my ideal world we move on from both Jones and Clark.

At some point you have to look at the body of evidence and ask the question why we play better when he is not in the team? It's not a complete coincidence.

I think we could start with looking at the fact he was the third worst player in the comp this year at being outmarked in a one on one contest. That is an atrocious stat from your number 1 key forward.

Have watched him for years stand there trying to wrestle blokes and he sucks at it. Seems to genuinely lack forward nous. Sharman is 10 times smarter.

Whenever people talk about King being a gun all they reference is his ability to get shots on goal. Whilst I can agree that is the most important thing for your full forward he offers nothing outside that. Would be one of the worst forwards in the comp for defensive pressure. Routinely the full back absolutely dominates games and proved a ton of rebound. Not good.

Don't disagree he is talented but with so many holes in his game I don't seem him ever being anywhere close to elite. Not enough tricks to be consistent. As others have mentioned before, might reach Danaher levels but will be a frustrating player for years to come.

LDU would make us far better than losing King who we already seem to play better without.
He was literally on one leg.

Think about it, up until this year he was rarely outmarked, this season he would lose his footing in one on one marking contested because he couldn't put any pressure through his leg.

I mean this with no disrespect but the "we play better without him" is one of the dumbest takes I've ever heard.

He was dominant BEFORE hurting his knee against the Giants this year.

It wasn't his fault that we were slow at moving the ball off half back or missed open kicks and handballs during the middle of the year.

Trading a 200+ athletic guy with hands like Max is just low IQ footy management.

God damn I hate these chats.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TRADE HIM

Not sure if posted. But the latest on Battle. 7 years is a bit much isn't it?

7 years? Blimey.

I love Josh as a player, but that is over the odds.

However it puts the pressure on Hawthorn. They have to up the ante.

And it was noted that their oily coach has been into Josh personally all year. I hope Saints remember that going forward.

At some point you have to look at the body of evidence and ask the question why we play better when he is not in the team? It's not a complete coincidence.

I think we could start with looking at the fact he was the third worst player in the comp this year at being outmarked in a one on one contest. That is an atrocious stat from your number 1 key forward.

Have watched him for years stand there trying to wrestle blokes and he sucks at it. Seems to genuinely lack forward nous. Sharman is 10 times smarter.

Whenever people talk about King being a gun all they reference is his ability to get shots on goal. Whilst I can agree that is the most important thing for your full forward he offers nothing outside that. Would be one of the worst forwards in the comp for defensive pressure. Routinely the full back absolutely dominates games and proved a ton of rebound. Not good.

Don't disagree he is talented but with so many holes in his game I don't seem him ever being anywhere close to elite. Not enough tricks to be consistent. As others have mentioned before, might reach Danaher levels but will be a frustrating player for years to come.

LDU would make us far better than losing King who we already seem to play better without.
Just to highlight how bad of a take this is again

Max in overall contested marks in the league

2020 - 7th
2021 - 6th
2022 - 3rd

Mids mids mids

We have bulk mids and we play a rebound game. He makes sense of Battle goes. How we pay for him is another story. Elite talent is always valuable. At least it means we are in challenge mode not rebuilding

He was literally on one leg.

Think about it, up until this year he was rarely outmarked, this season he would lose his footing in one on one marking contested because he couldn't put any pressure through his leg.

I mean this with no disrespect but the "we play better without him" is one of the dumbest takes I've ever heard.

He was dominant BEFORE hurting his knee against the Giants this year.

It wasn't his fault that we were slow at moving the ball off half back or missed open kicks and handballs during the middle of the year.

Trading a 200+ athletic guy with hands like Max is just low IQ footy management.

God damn I hate these chats.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TRADE HIM
Thats fair, we all have our favourites. Personally don't think he has ever been close to dominant.

Have watched him closely live for years and find him infuriating. He is like a bloody statue at times. I don't know whether it is just bad coaching, poor tank, or just poor forward craft but he just doesn't lead to good spots. His brother is the same.

Appreciate that Riewoldt was a different beast, but he played in some of the worst sides imaginable and still racked up 10+ marks a game. King drifts out of games far too easily, and it is not everybody's else's fault.

I still think he is good, without being great. Has a truckload of trade value, I would be happy to cash in whilst he is still highly rated. LDU would make us a significantly better team, not sure King does.

Just to highlight how bad of a take this is again

Max in overall contested marks in the league

2020 - 7th
2021 - 6th
2022 - 3rd
Either he marks it or his opponent does. Good forwards don't get outmarked so easily.

He should try leading. He might actually get some easy ball that way and we won't drift out of games so regularly.

Pretty sure the teams and Sinclair's improvement in the 2nd half of the season were related to pushing Sinclair back to the HBF.

Considering the capital we'd need to spend to get him, I'm a pass on Houston.
Yes but also consider our “real” mids came back so both aspects relevant.

Solid chance of making finals, eh. Our best footy is very very good, but that’s been the same story since every season since 2020.

We need more than occasional streaks of excellent footy. We need consistency, not a situation where every odd season we achieve 5-8 on the ladder. How often is it that a team wins from outside the top 4?

By all means, I hope we make finals next year, but I doubt we will have any true sustained success or consistency until we address the gaping holes in our list, and build around our young core.

For these reasons, idm if Battle stays or goes, he’s young enough, compatible enough and good enough to be a positive contributor (for the right price), but two top 10 picks? Well that would be right in line with our direction, smack bang in the middle of what we need to be doing, IMO. And it’s a good draft for our needs too.

Six one, half dozen the other, no matter the outcome (except Battle leaves for band 2 which seems more unlikely now) it’ll be able to be construed as a win either way, so on goes the waiting game.

As for Parker or McCrae, I’d be happy with either, assuming little to no draft capital is spent. But they’ll have to earn their spot. And I don’t think either are likely to come to the Saints.

The list is in the best shape in 15 years after Toce did his list build. Good core of old and young talent. I reckon a good injury run would have had us equal to last year on the ladder. Add a Crouch replacement and some internal improvement and we could jump fast. Need to sign Battle or replace him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 years? Blimey.

I love Josh as a player, but that is over the odds.

However it puts the pressure on Hawthorn. They have to up the ante.

And it was noted that their oily coach has been into Josh personally all year. I hope Saints remember that going forward.
Yeah we have to offer enough that it gets band one and forces Hawks to counter offer.

Have to blow their offer out of the water.

If he ends up taking less to go to Hawks then we're screwed but we are better off paying overs and keeping him than seeing him walk for band two compo.

The list is in the best shape in 15 years after Toce did his list build. Good core of old and young talent. I reckon a good injury run would have had us equal to last year on the ladder. Add a Crouch replacement and some internal improvement and we could jump fast. Need to sign Battle or replace him though.
Where do you see the midfield? It seems average on paper but if Pou explodes which I'm genuinely beginning to believe he will, what would be good signings for us? Do we need to push out Clark and Dow or can they be part of it?

The trouble with the free agent factor is that history shows they don't end up coming to us anyway.

If you make yourself pretty to outside talent you attract good players. They didn’t come because we were a shit side with a shit coach and no vision. Hopefully we are getting closer to players wanting in. Houston wanting in is a huge tick of approval

Don’t need Houston.
Don’t want Petracca at his age (29 next year) with what it would cost.
Would like Battle and Members to stay.
Talk of trading King is rubbish.
agree except for Membrey. i'd like him to stay but if he doesn't its not the end of the world.

Where do you see the midfield? It seems average on paper but if Pou explodes which I'm genuinely beginning to believe he will, what would be good signings for us? Do we need to push out Clark and Dow or can they be part of it?

Dow and Jones showed enough to suggest that they could be contributors and Clark with a preseason could be anything still. Having another quality depth option like Parker or Macrae gives genuine cover for depth and form but doesn’t hold out a kid B like Garcia in the future

if it’s Sam Edmund the report about Houston would be real.
You can never have too many kicks like Dan Houston on your team, so he’d be a nice acquisition but at what cost?
Don’t even engage in conversations regarding NWM please.

I’m kinda surprised at the negativity surrounding Dan Houston.

Admittedly I’m curious regarding how much he would cost to bring in, but when’s the last time a current All Australian (probably 2x after this year) has wanted to come to us.

27 years old pretty much in his prime, I’m hoping if the rumour is true that would mean we want NAS/ Sinclair up the ground more (hopefully NAS).

I’d love to have him in Saints colours, depending on the price of course!

Dow and Jones showed enough to suggest that they could be contributors and Clark with a preseason could be anything still. Having another quality depth option like Parker or Macrae gives genuine cover for depth and form but doesn’t hold out a kid B like Garcia in the future
Spot on. Late season form b grade mids like Jones Dow and Clark was pretty good ( b grade by the way is not a criticism a grade are Steele, Heeney Walsh etc, elite are Cripps, Bont etc).
We do have some good kids in Pou, Wilson. Garcia, Windy even Hotton to work with and whomever we pick st the draft.
However history suggests Jones Clark and Dow won't get through a full season and we can't hang the kids if they are injured, so a Parker or McCrae is important especially with Ross and Crouch gone.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back