List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Edmund said Battle’s exit interview is next week.

It was at 5:20 to 5:40 on today’s Trade Radio Podcast.
Battle didn't inform St Kilda of his call at his exit interview this week but is weighing a significant offer from Hawthorn, while Dougal Howard's future also remains unclear as he waits on a contract offer from the Saints.

I’m kinda surprised at the negativity surrounding Dan Houston.

Admittedly I’m curious regarding how much he would cost to bring in, but when’s the last time a current All Australian (probably 2x after this year) has wanted to come to us.

27 years old pretty much in his prime, I’m hoping if the rumour is true that would mean we want NAS/ Sinclair up the ground more (hopefully NAS).

I’d love to have him in Saints colours, depending on the price of course!
Future 1st is where my negotiations would start. Depends on Battles decision also. We must use our pick in this draft.

So if you believe the reports we are into 30yo Macrae

Which younger player does he push out of the current side to make us that tiny bit better?

Garcia, Dow, Windhager, Phillipou, Clark, Wilson, Byrnes, Owens, Stocker?

Maybe he replaces Jones or Hill?

The list is in the best shape in 15 years after Toce did his list build. Good core of old and young talent. I reckon a good injury run would have had us equal to last year on the ladder. Add a Crouch replacement and some internal improvement and we could jump fast. Need to sign Battle or replace him though.
When Membrey is up and going Max preforms better

But, but....all those thousands of posts deciding what we'll do with TWO top ten picks.... :rolleyes:

If he were to go, i would expect a Band 1.
Outside of injury how many matches has he missed? He is pretty vital. So a pick in the late 20s early 30s ain't cutting it. So in the hypotheticals of course we would see what we would do with 2 Top 10 draft picks.

If he stays. Fantastic. We are better with him there. And the club might be thinking so too now.

I’m kinda surprised at the negativity surrounding Dan Houston.

Admittedly I’m curious regarding how much he would cost to bring in, but when’s the last time a current All Australian (probably 2x after this year) has wanted to come to us.

27 years old pretty much in his prime, I’m hoping if the rumour is true that would mean we want NAS/ Sinclair up the ground more (hopefully NAS).

I’d love to have him in Saints colours, depending on the price of course!
I think most people believe he is an excellent player. But Port's asking price is way too high for someone who plays the one position we have two elite players already in.

We need genuine mids. Not more half backs to try and turn into midfielders.

Which younger player does he push out of the current side to make us that tiny bit better?

Any of Stocker, Dow and Clark from the midfield. Immediate upgrade in quality.

30 isn't that old, he could still have plenty of good footy ahead of him. He's an AA level mid, if we're getting him it's to play inside where he'd become our second best mid after Steele. Pou will keep playing midfield and hopefully elevate, if others elevate too then great but at this stage he's better than every player you listed.

The offer is now relative to the pick we'd get in exchange.

Because our potential compo pick got worse, it makes more sense to offer him more. Losing him for pick 6 was ok so we had a good but not huge offer. Now it's pick 8 and worth a lot less, our offer increases relatively.

True.
But it could also blow up in our faces if he decides the lower offer from Hawthorn.

Honestly if we come out of this trade period with the below as a bare minimum, give us an A+

• First round compo for Battle
  • Draft two mids with the two picks
  • Add Parker on the cheap
  • Add Mcrae on the cheap

Steele gets immediate assistance.
The young guys get two new experienced guys from good teams to learn from.
Two draftees get added to the core 25 and under brigade

Keep dangling cash in front of LDU and any other FA midfielder that comes on the market

DON'T get Houston
DON'T get Trac
That’s be my holy grail
Then throw truck at LDU you sorted for future and now and a genuine consistent top 4 contender
It’s so sensible it’s got no hope
It’ll be
Shiel Peatly in
NAS , Pou out
Then told it all makes sense ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At some point you have to look at the body of evidence and ask the question why we play better when he is not in the team? It's not a complete coincidence.

I think we could start with looking at the fact he was the third worst player in the comp this year at being outmarked in a one on one contest. That is an atrocious stat from your number 1 key forward.

Have watched him for years stand there trying to wrestle blokes and he sucks at it. Seems to genuinely lack forward nous. Sharman is 10 times smarter.

Whenever people talk about King being a gun all they reference is his ability to get shots on goal. Whilst I can agree that is the most important thing for your full forward he offers nothing outside that. Would be one of the worst forwards in the comp for defensive pressure. Routinely the full back absolutely dominates games and proved a ton of rebound. Not good.

Don't disagree he is talented but with so many holes in his game I don't seem him ever being anywhere close to elite. Not enough tricks to be consistent. As others have mentioned before, might reach Danaher levels but will be a frustrating player for years to come.

LDU would make us far better than losing King who we already seem to play better without.
I think that ignores totally how we have used King and I don’t believe we’ve got that right yet
Get him up ground doubling back through middle into F50 and he’s forced to run to lead
He’s also very good as that relief kick transitioning from D50 to offence plus his field kicking is very good - for a big guy when ball hits the ground he’s very smart
Sorry think you’re way short sighted on this - he’s go to a club that uses him properly and murder us
No thanks

7 years? Blimey.

I love Josh as a player, but that is over the odds.

However it puts the pressure on Hawthorn. They have to up the ante.

And it was noted that their oily coach has been into Josh personally all year. I hope Saints remember that going forward.
Contract that long for absolute star players only. And I personally don’t even like more than 5 anyway.

I understand why we may be doing it, to increase the value and hence the compo, but I hope like hell it doesn’t turn around and bite us on the bum.

With absolutely no ITK knowledge at all I think the club is more than ok to lose Josh with the lure of two top 10 mids, an opportunity that rarely happens. A midfielder- heavy draft, in the area we are lacking, is actually heaven sent at this time.

The list is in the best shape in 15 years after Toce did his list build. Good core of old and young talent. I reckon a good injury run would have had us equal to last year on the ladder. Add a Crouch replacement and some internal improvement and we could jump fast. Need to sign Battle or replace him though.
Jump fast to what end? Our best footy is good enough, but not often enough. As I said, we'll probably perform well next year, we seem to every other season of recent, but not once in the 2020s have we looked like a proper contender. For that to change in a sustainable manner, I see no other way than building around our young core.

If we can do that, AND, bolster our current list to be competitive then fantastic! I imagine that's what the club (and every club) is trying to do, and looking at last years off-season (Wilson, Collard, Garcia, Hastie, Shoey + Henry, Dow) that aligns with the strategy.

We are very capable, and the list is in a DECENT spot, but comparative to some of the other young lists going around, you would have to make a very good argument to say we are a true potential contender as it stands. Doesnt take much to tip a list to the next level, nor down a rung. Trading Battle and receiving band one is one of those moves that may go either way but if I had to choose between going all in on building around Steele, or building around Phillipou, I am taking Mattaes every day of the week when it comes to split list management decisions like this.

Again, great clubs have their cake and eat it too, here's hoping

Either he marks it or his opponent does. Good forwards don't get outmarked so easily.

He should try leading. He might actually get some easy ball that way and we won't drift out of games so regularly.
Might help if he could rely on the inside 50 kick actually getting to him and not flying over his head.
We have improved so much in this area with NAS, Wilson, Clark etc even Byrnes and Garcia, he’ll lead if he knows the ball will get to him.

There’s a very good chance ONE of these things will happen 🤣

Might help if he could rely on the inside 50 kick actually getting to him and not flying over his head.
We have improved so much in this area with NAS, Wilson, Clark etc even Byrnes and Garcia, he’ll lead if he knows the ball will get to him.
This!

Aside from the fact that he hurt his knee early which clearly hobbled him.

He's spent the first part of his career leading out to Seb Ross and co kicking it 20m wide of him when he gets a break on a lead or dumping it on his head from 70m out after we've gone slow and he's competing against 10 blokes

Im Sorry but i want tracc, and if we haven't asked the question it shows a lack of ambition. Have an opportunity to write our wrongs
Nope.
It shows that we are sticking to our plans and not throwing them out the window for the new, shiny thing available. The thing that would cost us heaps. Who knows how he even comes back after both physical and mental trauma.

Anyway, it’s a moot point - he doesn’t want a minnow club.

True.
But it could also blow up in our faces if he decides the lower offer from Hawthorn.

How so?
That’s out of our control. And the club tried.
What else are they supposed to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back