List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

All excellent players including Wilson.

Red hot top 10.

View attachment 2095995

Ah yes but these awards are all bullshit. The fact of the matter is Darcy Wilson was the highest scoring FIRST YEAR RECRUIT, the one’s above are second and third year players or a bit older. The only other first year recruit who was as good this year? Harley Reid (suspended).

We have a ripper on our hands, worry not!

For the discerning fan, the AFL landscape is seldom easy to navigate, but instead lurks many rabbit holes of absolute ****ing nonsense, dishonour and rigidity, a bush league media and gambling industry. It has its moments though, occasionally, and almost always within the confines of an actual match, and rarely to do with the faux “content” that makes up the 90% of other time outside of a game such as these awards and the media, and the tribunals and trade season etc etc etc, I try not to think about it too hard and yet I spend too much time on this forum which is its own microcosm.

After all is said and done, Wilson far and away met and exceeded expectations this year, and congratulations to him for doing so. Looks a gem

Last edited:
This board is going to be an absolute mess over the next few weeks, isn’t it?

tHxiHd2.gif

Can anyone objectively summarise the role Battle played?

All I can summise is that he was agile and solid, strong in a contest, but had no leap and was not a good spolier.

Did not play tall for his height. Solid hands but no magic touch like Hill and Nas.

Bonus question, who among the remaining defenders including at Sandy, offers these traits?
Keeler and Schoey both taller but obviously different builds and skills. Keeler can jump that’s for sure!

You wouldnt know what other back door deals have occurred. Players moving often involve dodgy third party deals to family members eg wife. Hawthorn would be no different to other clubs when it comes to bending the rules.
A really good point actually. Considering how much the media have been talking up "Mitchells wife" being important yadda yadda yadda I absolutely wouldn't doubt a bunch of extra perks happening behind the scenes.

Sinclair had a quiet start.
Marshall was great, but for the devil’s argument, made some mistakes, discipline. By the end of the season was killing it.
Wilkie is the standout omission for mine. And I rationalise this with two irrational ideas.

1) was picked last year as the main man defender, which I don’t think he meets the stereotype and immediately after being picked was soundly nutured in the final. Barely a mark to half time.

2) Kane Cornes on committee- reckon Cornes would pick Battle before Wilkie, partly because of the Hawthorn thing

What a lot of drivel - no-one on here has the vaguest idea what has transpired in contract negotiations. Stop making stuff up......and no-ones reputation has taken a hit because we don't know for another 5 weeks what the compo will be - I assume you will issue an apology to the club if we end up with band 1 ??!!

WTF are you on? Issue an apology. When you issue one to me for having to read your shit posts. It’s not about band one, it’s losing a player they wanted to keep who will take less to play elsewhere. They held out until the last days after playing hard ball with him. Also got him off side telling him that they were interested in potentially let him walk for band one. They obviously changed their mind after that, said they wouldn’t go up before offering more money and years. Clumsy shit.

Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder.

We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

AFL is so desperate for equalisation, just give us a first and be done with it.

Norf have been given so much charity for being a basketcase for a decade. We've been mid pack for 6-7 years and get absolutely dick for it.

Not copping a first for Battle on the back of Norf getting one for McKay on top of all their other bonuses AND with tassie coming in will just about do me.

Smaller clubs like us struggle to get the big FA's unless we chronically overpay.

With Battle, we drafted someone in the late 30's, gave him 8 years of development and he's developed into a genuinely good player... good enough that we were prepared to offer him $950k.. only to for him to walk to a bigger club for less.

End of the day, if we don't end up with a first rounder, all we are is a feeder club for the big clubs and we just get to go back to the draft and hope we can find another Josh Battle to eventually sell off at the farmers market in 10 years.

They need to disincentivise shit clubs selling their own kidneys to go gambling. Letting us start self harming is encouraging others to follow. They want an even competition not clubs losing assets hoping to win the lottery. Most desperate clubs end up uncompetitive for years and end up ruining draftees careers. I don’t think that’s us yet but if they start doing it every year we will end up north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is if the club genuinely wanted him they wouldn't have allowed it to get to this point. Would have negotiated early with a healthy offer reflecting the demand for his skills in the market. This large late offer reeks of desperation - full reactive mode.

We have a decent sized defensive hole now. Over to you SOS,...Sterling effort

Ah yes but these awards are all bullshit. The fact of the matter is Darcy Wilson was the highest scoring FIRST YEAR RECRUIT, the one’s above are second and third year players or a bit older. The only other first year recruit who was as good this year? Harley Reid (suspended).

We have a ripper on our hands, worry not!

For the discerning fan, the AFL landscape is seldom easy to navigate, but instead lurks many rabbit holes of absolute ****ing nonsense, dishonour and rigidity, a bush league media and gambling industry. It has its moments though, occasionally, and almost always within the confines of an actual match, and rarely to do with the faux “content” that makes up the 90% of other time outside of a game such as these awards and the media, and the tribunals and trade season etc etc etc, I try not to think about it too hard and yet I spend too much time on this forum which is its own microcosm.

After all is said and done, Wilson far and away met and exceeded expectations this year, and congratulations to him for doing so. Looks a gem

The RS is a novelty award. Reid was the best first year player and if not for an over zealous tackle that would have been considered tough but fair in Lenny Hayes time he’d have won it. Wilson is probably tracking better than any Saint I can remember. In the last 15 years our players take 5 years to turn into disappointments and get delisted. Darcy is bucking the trend. He was drafted as a candy seller and flash type. We haven’t even scratched the surface yet. I don’t need a piece of paper to know he’s good.

I don't think it mattered what we offered Battle he wanted to go to his boyhood club .... period

Seriously its not even worth caring about ... we will get compensated.... we will replace Battle down back .... the club will move forward

Not sure he was the difference about us contending for a Premeirship .... though pick 8 might be 🤞

since pou has risen like a phoenix and garcia has continued to show elite traits, not to mention wilson finishing the year incredibly strongly, our future midfield projects at a much higher level than it did 12 weeks ago. Obviously we need to nab a few more mids this draft to really seal the deal, but things are looking a lot better. Pou could honestly be anything, as could Garcia if our selectors drop the whole sub charade, and Wilson has the perfect modern running game that is impossible to stop. You can't tag someone burning you away on repeated 400 meter sprints. There's been a lot of false dawns but **** me this can't be another one

actually, come to think of it did our form turn around coincide with George getting sacrificed to the footy gods? If so this bodes very well

This was a good game of football, back in Covid days, I watched the highlights because I remember it was probably Battles best performance to that date.

2 things I noticed watching this.

1 - at least half of these players are no longer on the team.

2- number one may as well include Dan Butler because the guy playing in this game is surely a different bloke. What has happened that he no longer influences games like that?

From what I have been told from an ITK at the Hawks not necessary gospel but he usually knows some thing, Battles contract is front ended so they have money for their younger players in a couple of years which apparently help us when working out compensation, there was never an upped offer from St Kilda late and he was generally torn right to the end.

I don't think we did him dirty, offered a decent contract without breaking the bank knowing we need a war chest to entice the elite midfielders (which may never happen) and that when it comes to contracts on that sort of money 50 grand more isn't going to move a player more then the other teams list and potential final chances. Also I think no matter how old you are being courted by your boyhood club would make a difference.
Additionally If we get band 1,2 or whatever it has nothing to do with Battle, he is no dog, turncoat or some of the other names I have seen thrown around on social media, he played his very best right to the end for us and I thank him for his time with us and wish him well. The AFL needs to be transparent about the compensation system or scrap it altogether so there isn't a blame game when it doesn't go how someone wants.
Finally be mindful of what we are going through when talk about trying to pry LDU out of North which is probably even harder for him as he was helped out a lot by the club as he delt with the lose of his Dad and that he is seen by some as a possible future captain. Money isn't always the main factor when it comes to what's best for your and/or your family.

tumblr_odcngfSP7j1qzcy2po6_250.gif

Maybe the club saw enough in Arie Schoenmaker as a ready made replacement for Josh Battle, knowing that Battle was torn between two loves & with us hopefully getting Band 1, thought it was the perfect chance to get another high draft pick.
I know Arie only has had the 4 games & I know stats don’t tell everything, but with a solid preseason & confidence in knowing his role, he could be well on the way to fulfilling that role for at least the next four years.

IMG_9239.jpeg

From what I have been told from an ITK at the Hawks not necessary gospel but he usually knows some thing, Battles contract is front ended so they have money for their younger players in a couple of years which apparently help us when working out compensation, there was never an upped offer from St Kilda late and he was generally torn right to the end.

I don't think we did him dirty, offered a decent contract without breaking the bank knowing we need a war chest to entice the elite midfielders (which may never happen) and that when it comes to contracts on that sort of money 50 grand more isn't going to move a player more then the other teams list and potential final chances. Also I think no matter how old you are being courted by your boyhood club would make a difference.
Additionally If we get band 1,2 or whatever it has nothing to do with Battle, he is no dog, turncoat or some of the other names I have seen thrown around on social media, he played his very best right to the end for us and I thank him for his time with us and wish him well. The AFL needs to be transparent about the compensation system or scrap it altogether so there isn't a blame game when it doesn't go how someone wants.
Finally be mindful of what we are going through when talk about trying to pry LDU out of North which is probably even harder for him as he was helped out a lot by the club as he delt with the lose of his Dad and that he is seen by some as a possible future captain. Money isn't always the main factor when it comes to what's best for your and/or your family.

tumblr_odcngfSP7j1qzcy2po6_250.gif

Really good post. The whole 'Saints offered another 50 grand at the 11th hour' didn't pass the sniff test for me. A Tom Morris special he hates our guts, it's always him leading with the cheap shot stories. I wouldn't think an organisation the size of St Kilda would be fluffing about with 50k, like they'd be well across things.

I wouldn't know but great to hear the front-end might help the compo, personally I don't think Battle was torn to the end at all but I also hold no grudges against the guy, gave his all, just put in a ripping season, taking the opportunity when it arises. We've likely turned pick 36 into a top 10 pick, take the W and move on! You never know what happens in the future either, he might have just peaked and we could be looking at drafting a 200 game gun midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back