List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly its not the year that the No 1 draft pick is a must have like last year. North are going to have to take much less if they want to move back down the order, nothing like previous years. They may chose just to take Trainor at pick 1, which will assist also.

I think they'd be happy to pick Smillie at 194cm since he's a different type of mid to the others they've got. Smillie Sheezel Wardlaw (hopefully not LDU) could be a dynamite trio going forward for them

West Coast will be the most interesting players at the top-end, not really sure what they'll try to do. I think going after Trainor as a McGovern replacement makes sense but at that pick is a bit of a reach at this stage. Pretty confident Adelaide will take Draper if available, so if Battle ends up leaving for band 1 we better hope we finish below them to get Smith and Draper
Maybe they do just take Smillie. But that’s effectively taking 4 mids in 5 top 3 picks - with LDU Simpkin Powell etc running around

Say we get a top 5 pick this year and a 2ndRDP around 30, plus say LDU next year and another FRDP of indeterminate number atm.

The argument is only if say p6 this year is worth more than losing Battle in the above context.
If pick 6 plateaus as a Dow / Clark then the answer is a big fat NO.
I'd venture that Pou and Hugo offer enough potential that the need to prioritise that p6* is somewhat diminished. Add to that the rather average top 10 pool this year and I'm starting to struggle for where the tangible upside is.

I'd probably say that if we want that p6 so bad then we aught look at trading our future 1st instead.
I wouldn't condone $1M a year for Batts and it's not in our control anyway, but l don't see this whole prospective scenario as offering enough guaranteed upside as to take a definitive position on.
I hope he stays, but "if" he goes we had better ****ing get band 1 or it's a massive ****up.

I'm not that excited by the kids in the front end of this draft. Jagga Smith looks ideal. Smilie looks a gun and a few others look okay. I think players late in the first round might end up the pick of the crop like Max Holmes did. Murphy Reid looked likely.

Maybe they do just take Smillie. But that’s effectively taking 4 mids in 5 top 3 picks - with LDU Simpkin Powell etc running around

Smillie looked good resting forward. He can play a Stringer like role so would suit anyway.

Except Doug gets us a 3rd round pick which isnt worth it at this point

I reckon he gets more than that. Not many come up, that's why we paid a first round pick to get him.

Only the Bigfooty saints board thinks the mids are garbage in this draft.

Granted there isn’t a generational talent like Daicos or Reid. But the quality is very good and deep

Nah, plenty are suggesting it's a deep draft more than an elite front end.

There is a very good pool of mids in the top 10 - who would be as comparable as Mckercher or Wardlaw or Ashcroft in years past.

It doesn’t have a Reid Daicos or a tall like Darcy or Walter.

That shouldn’t mean we overlook the players available- which continuously happens here.

Every year is a super draft year.

We ought to know.....we hear about it every year !!!!!!!!

:) :)
This projects to be our highest pick since King.

probably a good year for a saints fan to pay more then just a little attention

That doesnt mean those same players cant become elite, it should give us more confidence that we are going to get decent players deeper into the draft. Not many drafts have generational players like Reid & Daicos, but it doesnt mean we cant get some elite or excellent players in the draft.

Regardless of the draft I am still hoping Battle choses to stay with the Saints! He is as tough as nails, reliable and I think his intercept game is only going to get better. It would be an unfortunate time to lose him given he is one who has continued to improve this year and IMO has his best footy ahead of him. I guess thats what the chasing clubs see in him and why they are throwing big $$$ at him.

Paddy Dow is starting to look like a really good pick up, but there is no doubt we need to add elite midfielders to our list. If we can grab a couple of mids with our first two picks in this years draft and add another fringe midfielder looking for opportunity, we should be on our way. Then hope that Crouch can get over his knee issue, Garcia, Phillipou, Owens, Wilson, Henry and Hall continue to develop. Continue to work on picking up a free agent like LDU next year then all of sudden we might start looking ok in the midfield stakes.

I do hope however we find a replacement for Howard like Butts to fill the full back role. Accordingly Howard is very well paid so I think the club are keen to get his salary off the books. It might mean we again pay some of his salary but it would be worth it if we can find a replacement. Then as much as Max Heath is starting to improve I still think we need to find another ruckman. Image if we could attract Ned Moyle, with him and Marshall changing forward that would cause oppositions some problems.

I sincerely hope the club aren't considering Lobb as a fill in they simply need to look else where. The guy is a selfish spud who is severely over rated and for a big man he is as soft as most outside players. Lobb regardless of what he costs would be a major step backwards IMO. Jack Hayes hasnt played a lot but he is far better value/player than Lobb IMO.

Say we get a top 5 pick this year and a 2ndRDP around 30, plus say LDU next year and another FRDP of indeterminate number atm.

The argument is only if say p6 this year is worth more than losing Battle in the above context.
If pick 6 plateaus as a Dow / Clark then the answer is a big fat NO.
I'd venture that Pou and Hugo offer enough potential that the need to prioritise that p6* is somewhat diminished. Add to that the rather average top 10 pool this year and I'm starting to struggle for where the tangible upside is.

I'd probably say that if we want that p6 so bad then we aught look at trading our future 1st instead.
I wouldn't condone $1M a year for Batts and it's not in our control anyway, but l don't see this whole prospective scenario as offering enough guaranteed upside as to take a definitive position on.
I hope he stays, but "if" he goes we had better ****ing get band 1 or it's a massive ****up.

With Brisbane & GC’s 1sts both potentially up for grabs, trading for another top 10 pick is also a possibility.

I’m like many on here… I don’t want to lose Battle but its not the end of the world if we do. Especially considering we’re having a stinker of a year… I’ve often lamented our timing when we lost BJ. A year later we end up with pick 3 & 4 in a much stronger draft.

It would have been much worse if he was a FA last year & we end up with what became pick 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeler who's never played any senior footy. Neither has Ari. I rate Sharman but he's not Battle and might not get there still. I'd think the one that is most replaceable is Howard.
Did you see bing mark over Battle ?, at first glance I thought it was Sinclair. He’s a third tall, when all is said and done the loss of Howard would be harder to cover imo. I like battle and fortunately for him he’s playing career best football, he’s been good in defence and has shown his versatility but he’s a third banana.

I can see why teams are steaming up over him but here’s the question. Would his name be top of anyone’s list if he wasn’t an unrestricted free agent ?. Imo it’s the lure of a free hit where you just stump up cash and no picks, if you had your choice of defenders to pay $900k plus x 6 where would battle rate?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesnt mean those same players cant become elite, it should give us more confidence that we are going to get decent players deeper into the draft. Not many drafts have generational players like Reid & Daicos, but it doesnt mean we cant get some elite or excellent players in the draft.

Regardless of the draft I am still hoping Battle choses to stay with the Saints! He is as tough as nails, reliable and I think his intercept game is only going to get better. It would be an unfortunate time to lose him given he is one who has continued to improve this year and IMO has his best footy ahead of him. I guess thats what the chasing clubs see in him and why they are throwing big $$$ at him.

Paddy Dow is starting to look like a really good pick up, but there is no doubt we need to add elite midfielders to our list. If we can grab a couple of mids with our first two picks in this years draft and add another fringe midfielder looking for opportunity, we should be on our way. Then hope that Crouch can get over his knee issue, Garcia, Phillipou, Owens, Wilson, Henry and Hall continue to develop. Continue to work on picking up a free agent like LDU next year then all of sudden we might start looking ok in the midfield stakes.

I do hope however we find a replacement for Howard like Butts to fill the full back role. Accordingly Howard is very well paid so I think the club are keen to get his salary off the books. It might mean we again pay some of his salary but it would be worth it if we can find a replacement. Then as much as Max Heath is starting to improve I still think we need to find another ruckman. Image if we could attract Ned Moyle, with him and Marshall changing forward that would cause oppositions some problems.

I sincerely hope the club aren't considering Lobb as a fill in they simply need to look else where. The guy is a selfish spud who is severely over rated and for a big man he is as soft as most outside players. Lobb regardless of what he costs would be a major step backwards IMO. Jack Hayes hasnt played a lot but he is far better value/player than Lobb IMO.
Anyone watching Lobb would have to be crazy to want him unless there’s something more to the deal.

Did you see bing mark over Battle ?, at first glance I thought it was Sinclair. He’s a third tall, when all is said and done the loss of Howard would be harder to cover imo. I like battle and fortunately for him he’s playing career best football, he’s been good in defence and has shown his versatility but he’s a third banana.

I can see why teams are steaming up over him but here’s the question. Would his name be top of anyone’s list if he wasn’t an unrestricted free agent ?. Imo it’s the lure of a free hit where you just stump up cash and no picks, if you had your choice of defenders to pay $900k plus x 6 where would battle rate?.
I think to see our issues, you could apply your bottom line across our list.

In my opinion only.

We have the best half back in the league in Sinclair.

We have another top 10 HBF in NWM.

We have a top 10 key back in Wilkie.

We have a top 10 key forward in King.

We have a top 2 ruck in Marshall.

We have no mids in the top 20 in the league. Could be further.

Butler and Higgins in the top 20 small forwards.

If Josh leaves on the money that’s being reported then so be it. Who could begrudge someone from turning that down?

Subsequently if it means we get a first round draft pick directly after our own then I’ll help him pack his bags. Nice player but a 192cm intercept defender is easier to replace than the quality that a top 6 draft pick may bring to the club.

If Josh leaves on the money that’s being reported then so be it. Who could begrudge someone from turning that down?

Subsequently if it means we get a first round draft pick directly after our own then I’ll help him pack his bags. Nice player but a 192cm intercept defender is easier to replace than the quality that a top 6 draft pick may bring to the club.
Nailed it

Did you see bing mark over Battle ?,

Do you mean the time when the ball was kicked to where Battle was whereas King came in was able to leap at the ball? If so Bing would have still have marked it even if it was Howard who is a taller and a good spoiler.

PS. Yes I know Battle is most likely gone, but even good players can be in positions where you cannot really expect them to do much about a situation.

Last edited:

Yes we understand the logic. Works well if we get Band 1, but without Band 1 it is a negative. 1/ as Battle then goes for well unders most likely and 2/ the compo pick we then get slides to where the chance of gaining a young mid who can become a star greatly lessens.

The die is now cast, so we now just have to sit back and hope that the AFL does not shaft us.

You can see why the Club is taking the risk though, for if we cannot land some genuinely good mids, the Saints are doomed to not ever become a Top 4 team anyway.

History tells us that the chance of us actually trading in a true gun mid, or gaining one as a FA, is remote. Any gun player will have multiple suitors, and such players will rarely choose us, and extra $$ will not change that. (Hill chose us in part as his partner wanted to live bayside Melbourne again. Hamill and GTrain chose us as Blight was said to be joining us). We might gain another Crouch level player, but that will not be enough to take is to the Promised Land.

The chance of landing not just one, but two, potentially good mids in this years draft is an opportunity that we simply have to take.

Anyone watching Lobb would have to be crazy to want him unless there’s something more to the deal.
6RBGLAq.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back