List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

glass half full narrative after a few now empty scotches.

battle is a gun, now i still remember when he was only ok and it wasnt that long ago and people were talking about him being a waste of talent etc etc.

is he a great player that would net you a top 10 pick in a trade? no. but if his deal is worth a band one, which RUMOURS are saying could be true, that potentially gives us a top 10 pick. so thats overs.

we have players that potentially could be better than battle in that position, as they have played that position since juniors (Arie).

potentially (yes i know thats a bit of a curse word), we could get a melbourne type deal here which can set us up for absolute riches.

as for people complaining about not seeing a flag...i dont really care, im only 35, i have many years before complaining about never seeing one, so not bothered if its still a few years

trust the process homebobs

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

battle is a gun, now i still remember when he was only ok and it wasnt that long ago and people were talking about him being a waste of talent etc etc.

is he a great player that would net you a top 10 pick in a trade? no. but if his deal is worth a band one, which RUMOURS are saying could be true, that potentially gives us a top 10 pick. so thats overs.

we have players that potentially could be better than battle in that position, as they have played that position since juniors (Arie).

potentially (yes i know thats a bit of a curse word), we could get a melbourne type deal here which can set us up for absolute riches.

as for people complaining about not seeing a flag...i dont really care, im only 35, i have many years before complaining about never seeing one, so not bothered if its still a few years

That's ok for you younguns but I'm 137 years old and I'm not I've got another rebuild in me.

I would tend to think that we are unlikely to finish lower than 15th, and are unlikely to finish higher than 12th.

Battle is hitting his prime, is now only 25 years 9 months and will only get better IMO. Wherever he plays his career out are going to geta very good player pretty much as guaranteed as you could get in the AFL.

Problem is that it may or may not generate Band 1 Compensation.

If Band one we gain a pick 5 to say pick 8. Two lowish picks. They may be just low enough to get two good mids, or we may just miss.

But if it is not band 1, then with the FS and Academy players and traded North Compo picks we either get after than are all added in before our FA Compo pick , meaning our pick is much worse. Or if a later band even later.

In the first scenario we and Club are probably ok with it, especially if we fish 15th rather than 12th or higher. It is chance to add the required class to our midfield.

But with the next two scenarios that compo pick becomes a real lottery versus losing a known very good player entering his best year. That could end up real ugly for us.

I would tend to think that we are unlikely to finish lower than 15th, and are unlikely to finish higher than 12th.

Battle is hitting his prime, is now only 25 years 9 months and will only get better IMO. Wherever he plays his career out are going to geta very good player pretty much as guaranteed as you could get in the AFL.

Problem is that it may or may not generate Band 1 Compensation.

If Band one we gain a pick 5 to say pick 8. Two lowish picks. They may be just low enough to get two good mids, or we may just miss.

But if it is not band 1, then with the FS and Academy players and traded North Compo picks we either get after than are all added in before our FA Compo pick , meaning our pick is much worse. Or if a later band even worse.

In the first scenario we and Club are probably ok with it, especially if we fish 15th rather than 12th or higher. It is chance to add the required class to our midfield.

But with the next two scenarios that compo pick becomes a real lottery versus losing a known very good player entering his best year. That could end up real ugly for us.
He won’t leave for a lesser offer then our own.

Go to 900k - if we haven’t already.

He leaves at that point - it’s band 1

He won’t leave for a lesser offer then our own.

Go to 900k - if we haven’t already.

He leaves at that point - it’s band 1

We just have to hope that Dalyrymple is on the money. And that Battle decides to go with a really high paying offer, rather than another club who may be more than us, but not as much as others. FA's do not always go to the Club offering the most $$ as we know too well at St Kilda.

With the AFL having flexibility in how they award FA Compo, we could be on the positive or negative side of their decision too. Trouble is that the AFL rarely ever seems to look at the Saints kindly.

Last edited:
Lotta chiefs, knackers and kings in this thread right now, you love to see it. Couple of big wheels and champs wouldn't go astray though IMHO.

If we end up with a pick somewhere from 5 - 8 I wouldn't mind us going after Olli Hotton's brother Taj, just saw he did an ACL but this year was moved into the middle and was racking it up and kicking snags before the injury. Might be a stretch to take him top 10 given the injury.
Taj is a gun
Mutch better than Ollie

I was at SCG this evening watching Chad Warner tear the Cats midfield a new one...I would be offering him a Godfather deal if I was S. Dylrimple
Sad thing is if Chad leaves, it'd be back home to WA to play with his best mates Luke Jackson and Jeremy Sharp. No chance to come to VIC, let alone us

As far as any names go for potential trade targets, I've noticed Busslinger is still uncontracted. Granted he is from WA but has anyone seem him play? Tall defender getting some great numbers in the VFL.
He's an excellent interceptor but West Coast are very interested in him. He either stays at the Dogs or goes home imo

Lotta chiefs, knackers and kings in this thread right now, you love to see it. Couple of big wheels and champs wouldn't go astray though IMHO.

If we end up with a pick somewhere from 5 - 8 I wouldn't mind us going after Olli Hotton's brother Taj, just saw he did an ACL but this year was moved into the middle and was racking it up and kicking snags before the injury. Might be a stretch to take him top 10 given the injury.
Taking him at 5-8 is very risky considering he bolted into top 10 contention off 2 weeks of footy and will have missed a year of footy by next year. Would much rather someone like Christian Moraes or Tom Gross at that point, assuming Jagga Smith is off the board. Although Hotton is definitely in consideration in the second round or late first round if we could somehow get a pick in that range

I like Battle, but we need mids, mids and more mids. And not a speculative flanker who might be a mid, but we need those who have played full time mid at under 18s level. The only way to get those? Early pick.
If it’s likely we’ll land band 1, then it’s the kind of call we have to make. Arie is waiting in the wings and he looks a class above VFL already.

Big fan of the kid Draper from Adelaide after yesterday’s game, take he and another mid. Take a swing on Will Phillips from North and let’s throw some darts at the midfield dart board to get us rolling before Tasmania come in to the comp.

I like Battle, but we need mids, mids and more mids. And not a speculative flanker who might be a mid, but we need those who have played full time mid at under 18s level. The only way to get those? Early pick.
If it’s likely we’ll land band 1, then it’s the kind of call we have to make. Arie is waiting in the wings and he looks a class above VFL already.

Big fan of the kid Draper from Adelaide after yesterday’s game, take he and another mid. Take a swing on Will Phillips from North and let’s throw some darts at the midfield dart board to get us rolling before Tasmania come in to the comp.
I'm simply not sure the necessity for more mids is as critical as we make out. If we lose Batts and spend it an an 18yo kid it'll take 3+ years to pay dividends. We have currently 3 mids developing in the 2's and we think we want to attract a FA this year or next. Is that 1 extra drafted mid really gonna make the difference to success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips is way too slow for the modern game, huge pass. Would rather spend the pick we'd trade for him on a speculative type in the draft, maybe the next Hugo

Last edited:
I'm simply not sure the necessity for more mids is as critical as we make out. If we lose Batts and spend it an an 18yo kid it'll take 3+ years to pay dividends. We have currently 3 mids developing in the 2's and we think we want to attract a FA this year or next. Is that 1 extra drafted mid really gonna make the difference to success?
We have no top quality mid.

i think that’s a necessity

So many on here were convinced NAS was leaving. And he stayed.
It’s too soon to worry about Collard. He’s had a go. Will only get better at vfl.
Backing the club in to get him to stay too.

It’s easier when you’re in a winning side with momentum and playing every game.

Not overs if to replace him takes picks and equal money. If we draft Trainor to replace him probably costs a top 5 draft and 5 years worth or development.

You are destroying the only good line we have to hopefully get a player as good in a draft with a soft top 10.

Not overs if to replace him takes picks and equal money. If we draft Trainor to replace him probably costs a top 5 draft and 5 years worth or development.

You are destroying the only good line we have to hopefully get a player as good in a draft with a soft top 10.
I reckon we can cover battle. Keeler isn’t far off it and Sharman is a handy third tall defender. If that gives us the ability to draft trainor and an elite mid. I’m all in. wouldn’t mind one of the Whitlock twins though. They will be guns

We have no top quality mid.

i think that’s a necessity
Say we get a top 5 pick this year and a 2ndRDP around 30, plus say LDU next year and another FRDP of indeterminate number atm.

The argument is only if say p6 this year is worth more than losing Battle in the above context.
If pick 6 plateaus as a Dow / Clark then the answer is a big fat NO.
I'd venture that Pou and Hugo offer enough potential that the need to prioritise that p6* is somewhat diminished. Add to that the rather average top 10 pool this year and I'm starting to struggle for where the tangible upside is.

I'd probably say that if we want that p6 so bad then we aught look at trading our future 1st instead.
I wouldn't condone $1M a year for Batts and it's not in our control anyway, but l don't see this whole prospective scenario as offering enough guaranteed upside as to take a definitive position on.
I hope he stays, but "if" he goes we had better ****ing get band 1 or it's a massive ****up.

Sydney have Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Isaac Heeney and are so far clear of the comp atm

We have no mids seemingly close to that at the moment. Maybe Pou but he's still in the VFL

To win a premiership, we need at least 2 of those types of mids; Daicos, JDG, Pendles; Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie; Oliver, Petracca, Viney; Cotchin, Dusty; Shuey, Yeo.

We need to give ourselves the best chance at finding that, which is through the top end of the draft. This year's draft is literally all about its top end mids, why would we not go all in on it to give ourselves the best chance of setting this part of the ground up for the next decade?

Battle is a good player, and there may not be another player like him to replace him with his toughness, but there are replacements that will suffice in a premiership-winning team. When is a premiership ever won by a 3rd tall? Never. When is a premiership won by a midfielder/midfield? Almost every year

We have Arie and/or Keeler to develop into that 3rd tall role, while Cordy is a solid short term replacement. Could also target someone for cheap like Butts or one of the other Adelaide defenders. The point is, imo, it's easier to replace Battle than to have a chance at a genuine A-grade mid via draft especially since no one else on our list would arguably demand that much on the open market

I reckon we can cover battle. Keeler isn’t far off it and Sharman is a handy third tall defender. If that gives us the ability to draft trainor and an elite mid. I’m all in. wouldn’t mind one of the Whitlock twins though. They will be guns
I think we're better off shipping Doogs out and covering that hole instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back