List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney have Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Isaac Heeney and are so far clear of the comp atm

We have no mids seemingly close to that at the moment. Maybe Pou but he's still in the VFL

To win a premiership, we need at least 2 of those types of mids; Daicos, JDG, Pendles; Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie; Oliver, Petracca, Viney; Cotchin, Dusty; Shuey, Yeo.

We need to give ourselves the best chance at finding that, which is through the top end of the draft. This year's draft is literally all about its top end mids, why would we not go all in on it to give ourselves the best chance of setting this part of the ground up for the next decade?

Battle is a good player, and there may not be another player like him to replace him with his toughness, but there are replacements that will suffice in a premiership-winning team. When is a premiership ever won by a 3rd tall? Never. When is a premiership won by a midfielder/midfield? Almost every year

We have Arie and/or Keeler to develop into that 3rd tall role, while Cordy is a solid short term replacement. Could also target someone for cheap like Butts or one of the other Adelaide defenders. The point is, imo, it's easier to replace Battle than to have a chance at a genuine A-grade mid via draft especially since no one else on our list would arguably demand that much on the open market
This year's to 10 worthy mids are shite compared to last year.

and battle leaving doesn't necessarily equate to a top 5 pick. if we lose battle and we don't get that pick its a complete disaster.
But we can make sure we get a top 5 pick. Offer him the perfect sum of money that we are comfortable paying him that would also make other clubs offer enough to yield us band 1. 850-950k range over 6 years

It’s round 13. This was supposedly done and dusted in round 2. The clubs been talking to his agent for months.

You are either confident you are getting a deal done and soon as history says the majority of unrestricted free agents not signed yet - often are leaving.

or you are hoping he stays but are preparing for him to leave.
Looking back, I wonder if the leaked rumour of us prepared to offer Weitering 1.5 mil has an impact. Maybe these rumours are started to cause a bit of friction inside a club

Looking back, I wonder if the leaked rumour of us prepared to offer Weitering 1.5 mil has an impact. Maybe these rumours are started to cause a bit of friction inside a club
Came out a month or so after didn’t it?

I can’t see it.

I reckon a couple of clubs have gone hard and he is seeing an extra 100k (atleast) per season and thinks that a lot of money to turn down and his form has continued to be very good and probably increasing those numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only the Bigfooty saints board thinks the mids are garbage in this draft.

Granted there isn’t a generational talent like Daicos or Reid. But the quality is very good and deep

In most drafts there is always quality to elite players available in the top 10 and this year there a plenty.

Depending on what North do with their first pick will effect the number of mids available to us at our pick/s. Richmond if they finish 17th will take Sullivan, WCE will look most likely at a mid also possibly Draper, then if we finish 15th we will have plenty of talented kids to chose from. The benefit is there a bit of variety as well where you have Jagga Smith who is a thin wiry mid (Butters like) that has cat like reflexes and reads the fall of the ball .5 second faster than others. Then there is the inside classy grunt type players like Draper, Moraes and Smillie 194cms. There are also the tall forwards in Whitlock, O'Farrell, Shanahan & Faull.

And Im sure by the time the championships are complete there will other players pushing up into the top 10. Who knows by draft time the AFL may have even introduced the new academy rules given us access to some of the northern academy kids. Its a good draft and not a bad year to have a number of early picks.

In most drafts there is always quality to elite players available in the top 10 and this year there a plenty.

Depending on what North do with their first pick will effect the number of mids available to us at our pick/s. Richmond if they finish 17th will take Sullivan, WCE will look most likely at a mid also possibly Draper, then if we finish 15th we will have plenty of talented kids to chose from. The benefit is there a bt of variety as well where you have Jagga Smith who is a thin wiry mid (Butters like) that has cat like reflexes and reads the fall of the ball .5 second faster than others. Then there is the inside classy grunt type players like Draper, Moraes and Smillie 194cms. There are also the tall forwards in Whitlock, O'Farrell, Shanahan & Faull.

And Im sure by the time the championships are complete there will other players pushing up into the top 10. Who knows by draft time the AFL may have even introduced the new academy players given us access to some the northern academy kids. Its a good draft and not a bad year year to have a number of early picks.
I agree.

My personal thoughts so far are that it’s a terrible year to be picking 1 (current opinion, may change by the end of the champs).

But it looks a very good year to have multiple top 10 picks or even 3 in the first round.

I agree.

My personal thoughts so far are that it’s a terrible year to be picking 1 (current opinion, may change by the end of the champs).

But it looks a very good year to have multiple top 10 picks or even 3 in the first round.

Agree, I think when Sullivan starts playing and showing what he can do he is the obvious No 1 pick, but I doubt North will be chasing more mids.

Agree, I think when Sullivan starts playing and showing what he can do he is the obvious No 1 pick, but I doubt North will be chasing more mids.
I reckon they will be looking to try and trade down for Trainor. I just can’t see a club in the top 5-6 paying a fortune that they will imagine they will get.

I reckon they will be looking to try and trade down for Trainor. I just can’t see a club in the top 5-6 paying a fortune that they will imagine they will get.

Exactly its not the year that the No 1 draft pick is a must have like last year. North are going to have to take much less if they want to move back down the order, nothing like previous years. They may chose just to take Trainor at pick 1, which will assist also.

I think they'd be happy to pick Smillie at 194cm since he's a different type of mid to the others they've got. Smillie Sheezel Wardlaw (hopefully not LDU) could be a dynamite trio going forward for them

West Coast will be the most interesting players at the top-end, not really sure what they'll try to do. I think going after Trainor as a McGovern replacement makes sense but at that pick is a bit of a reach at this stage. Pretty confident Adelaide will take Draper if available, so if Battle ends up leaving for band 1 we better hope we finish below them to get Smith and Draper

I reckon we can cover battle. Keeler isn’t far off it and Sharman is a handy third tall defender. If that gives us the ability to draft trainor and an elite mid. I’m all in. wouldn’t mind one of the Whitlock twins though. They will be guns

Keeler who's never played any senior footy. Neither has Ari. I rate Sharman but he's not Battle and might not get there still. I'd think the one that is most replaceable is Howard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back