List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He had injuries and gets this year excused but if he's not able to perform he should be under immense pressure. So should the entire board. They haven't been able to stick to a path in 13 years and we seem to be starting to wander off on tangents again.

After next year he will have had the same tenure as Rattan and at that point if he's not on track he should be moved on. We can't afford another rebuild and I don't think we need one.

I was one who wanted Lyon back and think he's still getting stuff right but he's not someone that should be left with zero checks and balances. His game style was absolutely putrid for most of the year and in an entertainment industry that's problematic.

He's got a much better list than anything Richo ever had and it's better than what Ratts had available but hasn't been able to move us forward.

how are we wandering off on tangents again???? the club has stated over and over they are hitting the draft??

i dont see how that is "wandering off tangents"???

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had injuries and gets this year excused but if he's not able to perform he should be under immense pressure. So should the entire board. They haven't been able to stick to a path in 13 years and we seem to be starting to wander off on tangents again.

After next year he will have had the same tenure as Rattan and at that point if he's not on track he should be moved on. We can't afford another rebuild and I don't think we need one.

I was one who wanted Lyon back and think he's still getting stuff right but he's not someone that should be left with zero checks and balances. His game style was absolutely putrid for most of the year and in an entertainment industry that's problematic.

He's got a much better list than anything Richo ever had and it's better than what Ratts had available but hasn't been able to move us forward.
Totally agree - however I fully expect vast improvement next year , we now have the players and they are turning the age where they will or should show there best.
Guys like Nas , Windhager , Owens , Henry , Philipou , Sharman , Hammer have a few years to get it there act together and guys like Higgins , Battle , King , Clark are at the age to be close to there best.
Add on our top line players like Marshall , Steele , Hill , Wilkie , Sinclair who are at there peak there should be no excuses.

As you know I'm no Lyon fan , but this year he hasn't been able to keep a constant 22 together - players have been missing all through the year at times - Henry , Clark , Higgins , King , Wood , Webster , Dow , Hayes , Butler , Howard and now Windhager.
In a way it's been good to blood the first year players and by the looks we have some good talent that now know what to expect when they play seniors and Wilson is a standout.

Absolutely no way Caldwell or Durham leave the Bombers. They will both get good deals to stay.

Would be interested if there is a cap squeeze on a club like Carlton. Not sure if Cerra and Hewett are exactly what we need but they are better than what we have currently.

I know it was a running joke last off-season but we should keep half an on eye Dylan Shiel. Out of contract and surely the Bombers wouldn’t fight to keep him. Short term option, but he has the physical attributes we need. He would need to show his body is right though. Played a nice game tonight. Got 26 touches and I think the most tackles on the ground, or close to it.
Shiel is a numpty
No

Like King, like Steele, just rumours.

The racist thing was not on purpose but just showed how incompetent, lazy and poorly thought out these NGA legups gor the charity cheat booster clubs are.

Which any way it is cut and dices, an indigenous kid was disadvantaged compared to 4 non indigenous kids purely because of where he lived.
The definition of discrimination.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
you give the AFl way to much credit, ad-hoc decision after ad-hoc decision, with no future thought of imnplications

You’re comparing apples and oranges re Rat vs Lyon. To say Lyon has a better list at his disposal is misleading and doesn’t provide the full picture.

There were times Rat had to be pulled kicking and screaming to play with youth. He literally coached at a time they churned through draft hands to inject senior B to C-grade talent into the side.

Show me a side where Rat had youth playing week in week out like Mitchito, Windy, Nas, Mattaes, Caminiti, Henry, Schoenmaker, Wilson etc with the game here and there going to Hastie, Collard and Hugo.

Instead Rat was chucking games into a cherry ripe Zones, Ross, Membrey, Junior Burger, Paddy Ryder, Carlisle, even Hannebery when he could get him on the park. It was nothing more than a sugar hit at best, which interestingly seems to be what you’re expecting right now.

And, best of all, you say “Lyon hasn’t been able to move us forward”. So you honestly expect this list profile to be moving forward in what boils down to 16 rounds of footy. Development and progression isn’t linear. Look at Freo this year for an example and their midfield is light years ahead of ours.

Now isn't that surprising in that there are hordes of comments on his attitude, homesickness, lack of wanting to be at St Kilda and he looks like signing for another two years. The view from the bleachers can be distorted sometimes can't it?
not sure the issue was directly Collard per se.

There was family influence just making it harder to settle and that ebbed and flowed throughout the season.

How does it have an ordinary front end if Twomey is literally reporting clubs want to trade into this draft.

No sane club burns futures firsts to get into a draft at pick 15+. They want to get in at the front end. They like the talent.

The entire time you have been chirping and been pushing this is a shit draft - You have preached shit like stkilda we will get more shit players and straight from the best source - it doesn’t appear to be the case. Twomey actually believes it’s loaded with talent, as do the list managers and recruiters he has spoken too.

So you are wrong.

Maybe back the people paid to do their job

I'd say there are a few better players probably the first 4 or 5 and then there is a whole lot of even and said it will have lots of talent right through it.

I can have an option on anything I like you ****ing idiot, it's a football forum to discuss footy topics. Put the ignore on if it's problem. Go read Twomey if you want to stop yourself being challenged. And take your pet dog with you.

how are we wandering off on tangents again???? the club has stated over and over they are hitting the draft??

i dont see how that is "wandering off tangents"???

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The president is sending out letters saying we're are going to be shit and that they won't step off the path of where we want to go only that it's now what he was saying before.

You’re comparing apples and oranges re Rat vs Lyon. To say Lyon has a better list at his disposal is misleading and doesn’t provide the full picture.

There were times Rat had to be pulled kicking and screaming to play with youth. He literally coached at a time they churned through draft hands to inject senior B to C-grade talent into the side.

Show me a side where Rat had youth playing week in week out like Mitchito, Windy, Nas, Mattaes, Caminiti, Henry, Schoenmaker, Wilson etc with the game here and there going to Hastie, Collard and Hugo.

Instead Rat was chucking games into a cherry ripe Zones, Ross, Membrey, Junior Burger, Paddy Ryder, Carlisle, even Hannebery when he could get him on the park. It was nothing more than a sugar hit at best, which interestingly seems to be what you’re expecting right now.

And, best of all, you say “Lyon hasn’t been able to move us forward”. So you honestly expect this list profile to be moving forward in what boils down to 16 rounds of footy. Development and progression isn’t linear. Look at Freo this year for an example and their midfield is light years ahead of ours.

You said we'd be going for a flag next year. I think the list should be mid table and building up as youth develop.

gringo2011 Henry is a Gop

Also Gringo. I am a draft watcher and this draft is shit.

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hottonare also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections. – Callum Twomey
Cool info on the draft.
Pretty Snippy and unnecessary introduction though.
People are going to see things differently.
Team Mates Matt GIF by DCL

gringo2011 Henry is a Gop

Also Gringo. I am a draft watcher and this draft is shit.

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hottonare also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections. – Callum Twomey
Gee whiz that's a hot take from you.

Gringo has always said that this draft is even and you are just as likely to end up with a good player at the end of the first round as you would at pick 5.

This draft is full of good players, but the absolute top end players aren't as good as previous years, nothing to compare to the Harley, Daicos, Sheezel, JHF types. That's why there's not a standout for pick 1.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, been talk about him getting pressure from family to go home.
Understandable, apparently from a lower socio economic area.
It just underlines how the AFL corrupting the NGA so last draft four non indigenous Suns players got stay at home with family while an 18 y.o first nations NGA WCE player couldn't be bid on and had to leave his family 4000 ks away.
The AFL has discriminated against an indigenous kid. They pay corporate lip service to our first nations with welcome to country and indigenous round, NAIDOC etc, but enshrine rules that are discrimatory.

Did they intend this to happen? No. But it shows the short sighted, narrow thinking that chasing the corporate $$$ does and it's unintended thoughtless consequences.

Collard is lucky he went to a club that has a strong indigenous presence, leadership, and support. He could have ended at Hawthorn or other less accommodating clubs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Discrimination because the draft is not further compromised, by allowing all First Nation players, to stay at home and play for local clubs is ridiculous in the extreme.

All players, including indigenous draftees need support and assistance. Every club has welfare staff and they need to work to accommodate what each particular player needs, irrespective of background, ethnicity etc.

Constructing the draft to keep First Nation players in their area, is patronising, illogical and not what they, clubs, competition, or supporters want. It is about better supporting everyone coming to the club, for the particular needs that they have.

Clubs have for the past 25 years that I know of, have been working to improve their knowledge, approach, sensitivity and understanding of First Nations communication, family dynamics, learning styles, needs and what is important to them. That is what keeps Collard, Henry and Hill happy, contented and loving their time at St Kilda.

I don't listen to media

I watch us play

I watch our atrocious inside 50 entries.

I watch us play like headless chooks

I watch players playing out of position.

I watch players devoid of confidence.

We play incredibly ugly football.

We are a poorly coached football team. I see that for myself, regardless of what the media are saying.
This aged well

You said we'd be going for a flag next year. I think the list should be mid table and building up as youth develop.

I said we’d be going for a flag next year? What on earth are you talking about lol.

Mid table is hardly bringing it home. Some of us aren’t happy being mid table for life lol there in lies the issue, I’m happy to take short term pain if long term success is the ultimate goal, which means don’t expect linear progression year on year.

Absolute myth about our game plan being the problem.
If players hit targets and don’t miss easy goals we start winning.
The narrative is being completely controlled by incompetent media that just regurgitate each others bullshit like baby chicks being fed.
Let me know when someone with intelligence and journalistic skill actually writes something worth reading.
Great post 👍

not sure the issue was directly Collard per se.

There was family influence just making it harder to settle and that ebbed and flowed throughout the season.
Stav I am sure that could be a problem throughout the season.

My post was more to the numerous comments on the Sandy match day thread who all wanted Collard, dropped, disciplined, traded for peanuts to West Coast or Fremantle.

I said we’d be going for a flag next year? What on earth are you talking about lol.

Mid table is hardly bringing it home. Some of us aren’t happy being mid table for life lol there in lies the issue, I’m happy to take short term pain if long term success is the ultimate goal, which means don’t expect linear progression year on year.

Sorry thought I was talking to Stagro.

Nice idea. Well done. Gold Coast might not be able to convince other clubs with a single pick to do that.

They may want a bit more to even it up but the concept is good.

Of course, GC would insist on a “gentlemen’s agreement” from us that we wouldn’t bid on their player with our first pick.

They would also demand the first of our two picks which would offset the need for steak knives to even up the trade.
If a gentleman's agreement is struck then they don't need that first pick.

Ratten turned Battle into the defender he is today?
Sorry, didn’t Ratten insist on playing Battle on the wing….
Still can’t decide whether I’d rather Battle stay as part of our great defence or go to pick up the compo…
But I would LOVE to see these media “experts” proven wrong.

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back