List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was always a pipe dream, as is any free agent mid. History shows you can’t buy them. We need to target someone who isn’t getting opportunity or look within. We need our version of Haydn Young/Ed Richards.
Hayden Young…pick 7

So… where are we at with the list:

Ross - coin flip
Membrey - trade
Paton - Trade
Hayes - Coin flip
Campbell - Coin Flip
Howard - sounds gone (contract talks not started)
Battle - Coin Flip
Butler - 1 Year deal
Wood - New deal
Jones - Gone
Webster - new deal
Allison - gone
Hotton - coin flip
McLennan- coin flip

The biggest disappointment for me is that it is not development but development of front end scoring.
Lyon put in place last year his trademark defensive structure. Taught everyone to defend, we had the best defence in the League last year.
To me that is great team development.

Preseason the focus was to maintain that defence but score an average 2 to three more goals a game. Unfortunately this hasn't worked at all.
We have lost 6 games under 18 points and another by nineteen. Probably four of those games are wins if we convert our inside 50's into two to three more goals a game.

This is where we have fallen down and where Lyon has not improved us. Our midfield is bang average and just doesn't deliver into our forwards, King, Membrey, and Owens have been down through a combo of injury and form, Higgins and Butler injury and suspension.

We all know how average our mids are, but the biggest failing has been getting these average mids to deliver better.

So in summary Lyon has developed a very good defensive team, but has not been able to developed his stated goal of two to three more goals on average per game.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I lean towards putting some more responsibility on our forwards. Membrey is a shadow of his former self. Butts has been injured, Higgo missed some from suspension, Mitch having 3rd year blues and King just effing refuses to step up for more than 5 mins at a time.
Injury and form have some part but they are limp as a dead eel at the moment.

Surely Butler deserves better than a 1 year deal.
If his knee is ok I still think Hayes has plenty to give.
Be tough to see Membrey playing elsewhere he has been such a work horse for the club during tough times.
Depending on trades and the NGA's I reckon Hotton and McLennan might be touch and go.
I know Crouch is contracted until 2025, but I think his knee is stuffed and he will need to make the call at seasons end.

Marshall, 28, was reported to be considering his future at the club which prompted the star big man to set the record straight with senior officials this week.
The big man, who is contracted until the end of 2027 at Moorabbin, told the club he was surprised by the trade link and was adamant he was not interested in a move.
Phew......crisis averted !!!!!!!!!

Lol.

:):):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they won't. And if they are struggling for content in a few weeks, I'm sure this will be brought up again.
It will be the same ol same ol Brut.

The "game" never changes.

It's the nature of the beast.

Max was heart and soul.
Gave everything every week.
How could Ross not rate that?
I wasn’t aware of this.
I guess he must’ve struggled with the team defence game plan.
Apparently… struggled to play zone defence.

Which was something Dawson apparently excelled at.

Aaron Hamill told me a few years ago now 😢

I wasn't going to but I'll buy in. IMO Billings has been a less than a average impact footballer his entire career. He will go down as one of Trouts worst draft choices. The guy is a complete introvert who cant handle any physical or mental pressure out on the field. People will quote the number of games he has played, but if he had of been recruited at any of the power clubs he would have been traded out much earlier in his career. At 28 he is still nothing but a fringe player and that has never changed.

Recruiting Billings was a complete and absolute bust for our club, in another draft year when we were screaming for quality alpha male midfielders, Trout went for the alter boy. And you are correct I didn't rate the kid from day 1 and couldn't believe what the club saw in him to invest such an early pick in.

Back in the day a lot here wanted Kelly, but we knew he'd go pick 1 or 2.
Therefore we discussed a lot, Billings, Aish, Scharenburg.
Dogs , who seem quite good at it quietly stretched and took Bont.

Apparently… struggled to play zone defence.

Which was something Dawson apparently excelled at.

Aaron Hamill told me a few years ago now 😢
Guess it makes sense.
Max would wear his opponent like a glove and he was so good at it.
I guess he would’ve had to learn a completely new style under Ross and might’ve struggled with it.
Loved Maxy.
Would much rather see a player crying after a loss then having a laugh.

Marshall, 28, was reported to be considering his future at the club which prompted the star big man to set the record straight with senior officials this week.
The big man, who is contracted until the end of 2027 at Moorabbin, told the club he was surprised by the trade link and was adamant he was not interested in a move.
The ruckman is one of the club’s most important and highest-paid players after signing a five-year contract extension in 2022.
He finished third in the best-and-fairest last year once again showcasing his durability playing 24 matches after finishing runner-up in 2019.
The trade speculation shut down will come as a welcome news to Saints fans this week as the club prepares to take on Port Adelaide which has been stung by last weekend’s thrashing from Brisbane Lions and pressure on its coach Ken Hinkley.

The Power have enjoyed a remarkable stranglehold on the Saints dating back to 2011, winning 13 of their last 14 games over St Kilda.
But the Saints have fallen only marginally short in their past four games, losing each by 13 points or less.
The Saints have locked in Marshall, Max King, Callum Wilkie and Jack Sinclair to long-term contract extensions and will aggressively hit the free agency market over the next two years to secure some more goal kicking polish, big-bodied midfielders and a prime key defender.
Geelong livewire Tyson Stengle is weighing up offers from the Cats and Saints and would be able to move for nothing at season’s end as a free agent.
But the Saints are expected to make bigger moves at the end of next year when they will target some prime on-ballers such as North Melbourne’s Luke Davies-Uniacke who is expected to field offers from multiple clubs worth more than $15 million over 10 years.
Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw is also a free agent next year, and has been leapfrogged in the midfield mix by superstar teammates Caleb Serong and Hayden Young.
The Saints are eager to secure at least one more powerful ballwinner to help spearhead their midfield brigade as part of a push up the ladder.
Marshall is considered a key plank in the club’s list build and could still have his best football ahead of him at the Saints with Melbourne’s Max Gawn, aged 32, in the midst of one of one of his best season’s as the club’s lead ruckman.
The Saints will target top-end talent at this year’s draft and currently hold pick five.
Got to be fake news. Next thing you know someone will be trying to say Sinclair doesn't want to leave and everyone is happy.

Guess it makes sense.
Max would wear his opponent like a glove and he was so good at it.
I guess he would’ve had to learn a completely new style under Ross and might’ve struggled with it.
Loved Maxy.
Would much rather see a player crying after a loss then having a laugh.

Max , off his own bat would study his prospective opponent each week, in a very in depth manner.
Ross would then play him against a random opponent, kind of undermined his whole system.

Back in the day a lot here wanted Kelly, but we knew he'd go pick 1 or 2.
Therefore we discussed a lot, Billings, Aish, Scharenburg.
Dogs , who seem quite good at it quietly stretched and took Bont.

Just goes to show only 11 years ago how badly most clubs assessed the talent and how poor some drafts can be overall. There were huge hits but so many more misses. I guess as stated the fact that Billings has survived is testament to the kid...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back