List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t be surprised if one of Marshal Sinclair or Steele are requesting trades end of year, when a new boss/regime that demand better standards come in and it ruffles feathers, players don’t like it that been there getting easy street cash 💰 for years. Just got the feeling will be some huge changes end of year and personally I feel we need it, no point being middle of the road team if that mean bottom 4 for next 3 years so be it. Think we have the right people in the right jobs to build this team.
Yeah 100% agree.

Outside of McCartin, all those early picks that flopped for us got paid huge amounts in advance of what they were performing because we had to fill up the salary cap. They also got gifted early games and had no real leaders to show them the way after Roo, BJ, Dal, Joey etc either retired of were moved on.

Feel like this group of 25 and unders are actually driven to succeed and be great.

Reckon there is a lot of self entitlement in some of the vets that were our 'best' players through that period of time & I think Ross sees right through it. Just because you were the best on a trash team doesn't mean you can't improve or work harder.

Firstly, if we are unable to convert a player with as much promise as King into a star, that’s close the doors level incompetency from all club departments. To give up on him as a supporter base is disgraceful given our club maxim ‘strength through loyalty’ but emblematic of our weak club.

Carlton kept the faith with Curnow and his body finally clicked together at 25yo with 60 games in 7 seasons with 80 goals. King currently at 23yo with 5 seasons all of which have been injury interrupted, 6 counting his pre draft year acl, is at 72 games for 159 goals.

It boggles the mind to be required to spell out how unique a footballer and talent he is but he is 202cm, runs like the wind, is strong and dynamic at ground level, can kick the ball nearly 70m, mark at the highest point, has shown he can stand up in big moments and kick 4 goals in a quarter to ice a game even while we have no one to kick it to him and no opportunities directly from centre clearance, he has kicked 159 goals already.

Imagine if; we had a midfielder or two who could come out the front of stoppage to provide some clean 1v1s or to at least allow a leading lane. What if we had some other marking options inside 50 to reduce opposition focus. Just imagine if we had guys who could kick to advantage he might’ve kicked 220 to this point.

It’s hardly worth mentioning because of how obvious it is that we have no one else capable of kicking even 30 goals as a key forward. You need at least a top 10 pick in a strong draft and all the luck in the world to find a forward capable of 50+ goals each year.

We can all see how much he is struggling but we must keep the faith with him, he is 23yo and at his lowest ebb in terms of form. To trade him now would be the most short sighted, self destructive thing we’ve ever done. Total madness and lunacy.

This is one draft you don't want heaps of high picks. We'd be insane to let Sos and Ross gut the list because they can't make what we have work. We'd be better to get a coach that can utilise talent available. If he wants to move out the quality players for a bunch of blue collar players to do his thing, we probably need to move him on.

Maybe we have offered what we think he is worth.

That's fine but at some point they have to deliver instead of going backwards. Ratts was sacked because we thought he wasn't maximising the list available. He had 10 wins in his final year. Ross would need to win 5 out of the remains 8 games to equal that and his answer is to cull the good players to bring in draft picks in a draft that is shit.

That's high risk low reward IMO. Gambles sometimes come off but if you don't you have a worse list than you started with and no senior players to take over when the seniors step out.

To me we need to move Lyon to a director of football role, sack Sos and find the best available list manager we can get. Chase down a young senior coach who has recent experience in a successful side. Ideally something like McQualter, Hansen etc and Justin Leppisch as a senior assistant and 2IC.

King is this decades Joe Daniher. He shows all the making of a star at Essendon and then traded to Lions who play him as a high half forward Ruck.

Marshall showed how effective he was moving forward. If we could alternate that with Max and keep Sharman or Camaniti deep then we may have that highly mobile drifting forward line that is hard to match up.

If Battle goes and we get pick 4 and 5 take it and run...sadly it is the way forward as I like Battle.

Clark is too slow and is depth....sadly.

JHF Butters and Rozee were just a class above our guys. We need more speed and that comes from the draft.

Selecting and trading for Henry makes sense, let's hope there is another one we can get for next year.

Add Pou next year and potentiality Keeler and a developing Garcia and Hastie we are not looking too bad.

Remember no Crouch who has been our best mid last 2 years has shown up a pretty bare cupboard....be great if we can get him healthy

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can easily up our offer or ask what would make him sign on. We are too cowardly to admit that we want the compensation so blaming Josh.

9Zaj816.gif

That's fine but at some point they have to deliver instead of going backwards. Ratts was sacked because we thought he wasn't maximising the list available. He had 10 wins in his final year. Ross would need to win 5 out of the remains 8 games to equal that and his answer is to cull the good players to bring in draft picks in a draft that is shit.

That's high risk low reward IMO. Gambles sometimes come off but if you don't you have a worse list than you started with and no senior players to take over when the seniors step out.

To me we need to move Lyon to a director of football role, sack Sos and find the best available list manager we can get. Chase down a young senior coach who has recent experience in a successful side. Ideally something like McQualter, Hansen etc and Justin Leppisch as a senior assistant and 2IC.
So a young new coach will solve everything with this current playing list.
I haven't heard to many bad reports of the talent available in upcoming Draft.
Every player that we chose in last year's Draft has already played senior footy this season(a rarity at this club) so why is SOS in the gun

Every player that we chose in last year's Draft has already played senior footy this season(a rarity at this club) so why is SOS in the gun

Round and round we go.

Has Watters got a younger brother?

Then we will go for the bland but mature type.

JoyDivision how long do you give potential. Its obvious Max is psychologically flawed as he has actually gone backwards on where he was 3 years ago. He has never looked like he even enjoys playing the game let alone shown some passion out on the field. The guy is a 6'10" version of Billings.

If it hasnt worked for him and the club by now its not going to.

Its time to bite the bullet and trade him while he stll has a significant trade value. He might come good but its not going to be at St Kilda he is damaged goods. Time for Max and the club to part ways IMO.

12 months ago the thought of trading Max would never have entered anyone’s mind.

That’s why its ridiculous. He’s absolutely devoid of confidence & obviously playing hurt.

Trading your blue chip (out of form) key forward would be #1 in the greatest fk ups this club has ever made. And let’s be honest, its a list of some absolute doozies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren’t following the draft then. This is an awful front end compared to most years. Barely a stand out. If Jagga goes top 3 we are looking at a dice roll. Every game I watch I think it’s worse. Metro are the best side in it and they are very even. Ashcroft looks the most likely to be a star IMO. Just doesn’t do anything badly. Jagga next. Then throw a blanket over them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no fan but we'd be mad to trade him. He's still young and he actually wants to play at StKilda so its a matter of finding a way to keep him out of his shell.
I don't understand why the coaches aren't making changes to how he plays but now even the media are catching on to what we've been saying for a while.
Billings was moved to the wing when he had his major issues and tbh l reckon that's what killed him. Whatever King's problems are, he needs to work through it and he might need to be broken down first.
I think the thing that killed Jack Billings was a lack of aggression and talent

Tom “liquor license” Morris probably uses Lynx Africa in the morning with that stupid campaigner grin
One thing I thought was strange is that he said we rebuilt twice under Richardson? When was the second one? I feel like it's been 10 years since we were in rebuild mode

King is this decades Joe Daniher. He shows all the making of a star at Essendon and then traded to Lions who play him as a high half forward Ruck.

Marshall showed how effective he was moving forward. If we could alternate that with Max and keep Sharman or Camaniti deep then we may have that highly mobile drifting forward line that is hard to match up.

If Battle goes and we get pick 4 and 5 take it and run...sadly it is the way forward as I like Battle.

Clark is too slow and is depth....sadly.

JHF Butters and Rozee were just a class above our guys. We need more speed and that comes from the draft.

Selecting and trading for Henry makes sense, let's hope there is another one we can get for next year.

Add Pou next year and potentiality Keeler and a developing Garcia and Hastie we are not looking too bad.

Remember no Crouch who has been our best mid last 2 years has shown up a pretty bare cupboard....be great if we can get him healthy

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thank you for taking the time to type this being it is actually sensible. Some of the comments on here are either from drunk people or those that struggle with emotional regulation.

Max will be fine. Get behind him.

Last edited:
Our 25 and unders are actually pretty good.

Arie and Caminiti both look good down back.

Take a first round compo for Battle and run.

If we can draft 2 genuinely good mids then we're right back in the game.

Mids are literally the HARDEST thing to get if you don't draft them yourself.

If we go into this draft with two top 5's and don't draft two pure mids I'll just about pack it in.
A good post there CP.

For years we built up a small army of half back flankers via the draft with the aim that eventually they would become mids.

What on earth could go wrong with that strategy......ummmm...plenty.

We tried also via trades and second rounders...et al....Hanners and Freeman.........what could possibly go wrong.....again !!!!!!

For years the most important part.....assembling the engine room......has been a dismal failure.

And here we are.

Man Tom morris is a flog. Running over the Rowan marshal story again on SEN. Really digging the boots in. Got no idea of what’s going on at the club
You lost me botts at the words.....Tom Morris.

Joshy lowering the sunnies(looks like the Dingley tip location wise) and saying...."show me the money"

Exhibit A there Joshy.

Great work there again Doc......my old bones are telling me that you'll win this weeks Gif award........by the length of the Flemington straight.

:p :p

JoyDivision how long do you give potential. Its obvious Max is psychologically flawed as he has actually gone backwards on where he was 3 years ago. He has never looked like he even enjoys playing the game let alone shown some passion out on the field. The guy is a 6'10" version of Billings.

If it hasnt worked for him and the club by now its not going to.

Its time to bite the bullet and trade him while he stll has a significant trade value. He might come good but its not going to be at St Kilda he is damaged goods. Time for Max and the club to part ways IMO.

I haven’t even mentioned his potential, which is as high as anyone in the comp. I’m okay with his output currently. 72 games for 159 goals probably projects around a 550 goal player by the end of his career. He pushes 650+ if he pulls it all together and goes at 2.5gpg until his 32-33yo which is around his current average anyway.

I’m still not clear but remain thoroughly uninterested on where the compulsion to trade him comes from. We will get 10c on the dollar for him this year.. in a bland draft with no talls. You would have to hate him for some reason to even consider it.

Anyway, think we should stop talking about him frankly.

You aren’t following the draft then. This is an awful front end compared to most years. Barely a stand out. If Jagga goes top 3 we are looking at a dice roll. Every game I watch I think it’s worse. Metro are the best side in it and they are very even. Ashcroft looks the most likely to be a star IMO. Just doesn’t do anything badly. Jagga next. Then throw a blanket over them.
Your argument that this is an awful front end is on the basis that there is no clear cut pack leader and it’s a “roll of the dice”.

That isn’t a bad thing to have. It very well could be that the talent level is very even. Which would make sense seeing as this draft is classified as “deep”.

Which is actually the opposite to your argument that you are trying to preach - as an even and deep draft means the talent is very much there for any club.

I thought the president made this clear that we don’t think the list is good enough?

So your point is wrong.
Man Tom morris is a flog. Running over the Rowan marshal story again on SEN. Really digging the boots in. Got no idea of what’s going on at the club
I believe there is 1 senior contracted player who is unhappy. One to keep an eye on.

Not Marshall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back