List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle certainly hasn't shown faith. We are talking about hoping to attract guys like Shiel and Lobb. The trade period is always fraught for Saints fans but this one started in round three. I just wish the whole season would end.
This gets better, lose Battle for Sheil and Lobb

Comedy Central.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We left that trade period with our 2020 first round pick. No one could have foreseen a global pandemic occurring and impacting any development for the 2020 draft class, which is why many clubs - not just us - invested very little in the highly speculative 2020 draft. Getting Higgins out that that trade period was a big win, especially given the main pick we used in that deal would have been moved out the following year due to being in the predicted pre-draft range of the Owens/Windy bids.

No idea what you are going on about with Hickey or Bruce either. Marshall become our number 1 ruck the year after we traded Hickey, so definitely an upgrade for us in quality there. We received pick 39 from West Coast for someone to play for their WAFL team. With Bruce, while it would have been nice to get more for him, we got back more than what we originally traded to get him and the Ryder/Marshall (just depending who was fwd) replaced him in the best 22.Their combination was fantastic and the main reason why we won games during that period. Definitely an upgrade in quality from Bruce.

That 2020 draft was probably the worst of all time. The vic metro kids were harder to spot due to lockdowns but it was just a terrible draft. Gulden and Jamara UH are the only guns from the whole draft. McDonald, Bowey, Elijah Hollands and Ollie Henry probably the next best. Not the worst draft to get out of to be honest.

We were trying to make a positive story when we had moved on a whole generation of players before drafting the core was the point. It was an absolute arse about list build. Even a layman would know you need to draft the foundations then brick in the holes with trades. The timing was absolutely insane.

5gFihg8.gif

because Lyon has struggled to keep us competitive.

He has?

Out of interest where exactly do you rate the list he was given? Personally I believe that at least 11 or 12 clubs have better lists than us.

We have had a lot of close games this season. With the list and player we have had available I was say we have been as competitive as we have been due to the coaching.

Crouch was our best mid last season. Add just him in and we would most likely have had a number of more wins.

The club's priority now is building a better list. For the one we currently have is not a top 8 list, let alone top 4 list.

He has?

Out of interest where exactly do you rate the list he was given? Personally I believe that at least 11 or 12 clubs have better lists than us.

We have had a lot of close games this season. With the list and player we have had available I was say we have been as competitive as we have been due to the coaching.

Crouch was our best mid last season. Add just him in and we would most likely have had a number of more wins.

The club's priority now is building a better list. For the one we currently have is not a top 8 list, let alone top 4 list.

I reckon our list is probably mid table but with bulk kids our depth gets tested quickly. Crouch and Butler playing a majority of matches probably gets us around the same as last year about 7th to 15th range.

To me we aren't that far off being a competitive side and being able to build on what we have. Ideally your kids come on and they start pushing to make us move upwards. That's why I see Battle as a priority signing. He's from exactly the age group we can afford to lose the most and a top 10 player on our list.

He's a valuable asset we want to build the list around. We have a stack of salary cap room, so extending him long term allows us to front end his contract. Also in a time when you need to hand out long term contracts to get a look in from opposition players, it's good to have some bigger contracts already locked in so we know what space we will be working with instead of just estimations of what space we could have.
If we have that much money it will be all the more disappointing when we inevitably lose Battle.

It also doesn't inspire confidence in me that King is happy to sign what will be the longest contract of his career after such an underwhelming season. Wouldn't most in his position want to have a huge 2025 and show that he is worth even more than what we are offering now?

To me we aren't that far off being a competitive side and being able to build on what we have. Ideally your kids come on and they start pushing to make us move upwards. That's why I see Battle as a priority signing. He's from exactly the age group we can afford to lose the most and a top 10 player on our list.

What we need is some more cream. Some more truly elite players.

We basically have ok players for the support cast. But we need several more true guns. And we also need as well all know some extra quality in our midfield.

Last edited:
Nice to see someone speaking both logic and sense. There are a few in here that are blinded by false unicorns and dreams of middle earth.
remember that time Carton extended the broken down hack who cant get near the Park in Charlie Curnow for 4 years in 2018.

geez that shit truck has done nothing since...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What weneed is some more cream. So more truly elite players.

We basically have ok players for the support cast. But we need several more true guns. And we also need as well all know some extra quality in our midfield.

We do but not at the expense of selling the cake to get it.

What do we get for Collard you think? It’s a decent draft for mids

Don't think you'd get much to be honest. A late second or third rounder? We probably need to persist and hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't look great right now with Collard obviously. There was a lot of talk around that draft iirc of him being a bit of a flight risk. From the outside it's looking more and more likely you'd have to say, and painfully he's losing trade value with every week that passes. 😕

Don't think you'd get much to be honest. A late second or third rounder? We probably need to persist and hope.
After the exhibition he put on at Sandy today I think he needs to be moved on this trade period. At least we have two takers who would be willing to bid on him. The team needs to seriously cut out the dead wood asap because we have some great kids from the last couple of drafts that can’t carry the team alone.

Surely the list management group did there due diligence on collard in regards to his personality and home sickness factor. From day one he has looked like he doesn't want to be here. It really feels like he will ask for a trade at the end of the year, I'd ask for one of west coasts young Victorian kids like chesser. Collard was "techinacally" a first round pick last year, so play hardball

Done deal
9 years $10m deal is the word on the street.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute bargain, if true. Knock off a good chunk of it in the next 2-3 years, pending movements like the retention/loss of Battle or acquisition of other Free Agent(s). Plus the option of kicking some of the money to the backend of such a long deal if, required.

Max could potentially have an average “true cap hit” of around 600-700k during the years we intend to be contending, which is nothing. When you account for the expected salary cap inflation over the course of the contract, that dollar figure is even smaller.

Surely the list management group did there due diligence on collard in regards to his personality and home sickness factor. From day one he has looked like he doesn't want to be here. It really feels like he will ask for a trade at the end of the year, I'd ask for one of west coasts young Victorian kids like chesser. Collard was "techinacally" a first round pick last year, so play hardball
Chesser is trash.

It's a mystery to me why he keeps getting picked on the wing for West Coast.

Averaging 10.9 disposals a game. Hasn't been over 16 all season and has had 8 or less five times.

Chesser is trash.

Averaging 10.9 disposals a game. Hasn't been over 16 all season and has had 8 or less five times.

Playing wing in an ordinary side ids a tough ask. He might still work out but looks pretty meh so far. Really not what we need either. Probably the one role we have covered.

Chesser is trash.

Archer Reid? west coast look light on for young mid-range talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back