2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine having this kid combined with Jagga Smith or Sid Draper running around for the next 15 years. He is 190cms tall and his quick hands and speed of action are elite.

I can't , because i don't know how any of them will go at AFL level.

If we could get this kid with an early 2nd round pick I would be happy. He looks a really natural CHF which is not that common any more.

There are quite a lot of good talls in this draft, Faul looks good too. Shanahan looks like a solid old school forward. The Whitlocks look good too. Some nice small forward talent too.

There are quite a lot of good talls in this draft, Faul looks good too. Shanahan looks like a solid old school forward. The Whitlocks look good too. Some nice small forward talent too.

Faull will be most likely top 10, I rate Shanahan a lot higher than both the Whitlocks. He just moves so much better and I think his reach would be much greater than his height of 194cms. Both the Whitlocks look big cumbersome and lack any agility IMO. OFarrell is the other key tall but he is a tall defender and highly rated.

I read somewhere that it was Wayne Hughs who drew Garcia to the clubs attention.
In my mind ( because i've never worked in clubland ) , i'd doubt that the List Manager reads a list of emails sent to him by the scouts and chooses which one to get.
Especially around melbourne i'm sure it would be a case of , " hey Chris, come out to this game on the weekend and see what you think of this Garcia kid "
In fact if your scouts knew their crap you could bluff your way through it all ( Libra ?).

Group think tank.

Everyone has their options ie SA/SW/VIC state picks top 5 lets say, short list peeps.
Round table discussion, what do we like, not like, what can you see moving forward, limitations, expectations, etc.
More discussion, need v want v have, cull a bit (we have 47 half backs, no more please, no), shift around the above.
Get details as they come to hand (ie combine results), meet and greet opportunities, narrow focus to say top 15ish in truth (I can see you 3 around pick 4, you four around the 3rd round so you only get 5 mins)
More discussion, got short list, smoky types, general listing, strategise more as framework set and moving forward to action and fluidity.
Draft night comes around, this is engagement of previous plans and you need to be fluid on chances that arise (ie the Leake instance previously) to really benefit as you already have bank, and this is interest.

Some people pop onto a forum and make statements how one guy made all the decisions and it all falls with them as they're the figurehead of the group and everyone operates like the Bombers with mad cliques that run the risk of destabilising an entire club into factionalism and have the reputation of being an obstinate twat that people have actively refused to deal with at a club level.

I think Ross has clearly identified he wants to draft and play players who can run all day, or have elite speed. If that's the case Draper may be number 1 target. If he isn't keen on bigger slower midfielders, maybe smillie and lalor aren't our go?

Surely at the top of the draft it’s just best available and they won’t prioritise based on 1 or 2 traits. I think after the first round that’ll be the philosophy (so long as we aren’t targeting KP or a ruck)

I think Ross has clearly identified he wants to draft and play players who can run all day, or have elite speed. If that's the case Draper may be number 1 target. If he isn't keen on bigger slower midfielders, maybe smillie and lalor aren't our go?

He hates guys who don’t spread. As long as they can move and win ball he’s happy. Draper is a solid citizen. Looks neat but not in love with him. He’s a bit white bread for some reason. Neat skilled and confident type but doesn’t excite me much, I think he’s a boring low risk pick. Probably ends up at least a good player maybe not quite got elite ceiling or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely at the top of the draft it’s just best available and they won’t prioritise based on 1 or 2 traits. I think after the first round that’ll be the philosophy (so long as we aren’t targeting KP or a ruck)

Apparently Dalrymple is a bit left field. Perhaps he draws names out of a hat.

I'm not getting pissy lol, I just think you're nit-picking at Lalor's deficiencies whilst ignoring Reid's and Langford's
He will be right up in our thinking.

You would love to see him go big as a midfielder this weekend. Thats probably the one thing from cementing his name as a top rung prospect. That massive game at national level.

His ability at pathway level shows a lot of De Goey/Petracca type of resemblances. Need to see it on the big stage.

He hates guys who don’t spread. As long as they can move and win ball he’s happy. Draper is a solid citizen. Looks neat but not in love with him. He’s a bit white bread for some reason. Neat skilled and confident type but doesn’t excite me much, I think he’s a boring low risk pick. Probably ends up at least a good player maybe not quite got elite ceiling or something.
His ceiling is most definitely elite. That’s usually why players get picked in the top 5-10. You don’t draft players inside those picks thinking he’ll be a solid citizen.

Is white bread the new vanilla? 😊😉

Just get something with zip we are just soooooo 1 paced in there ..
Is why I'm keen on Travaglia with our 2nd rounder. Half back/mid with electric speed and good ball use. I know we're after pure mids, but we should get that with our top picks and he's worth a punt in the second round. Could easily be a classier Jack Crisp

Is why I'm keen on Travaglia with our 2nd rounder. Half back/mid with electric speed and good ball use. I know we're after pure mids, but we should get that with our top picks and he's worth a punt in the second round. Could easily be a classier Jack Crisp
Massive fan of him, proper footballer. I think we'll be extremely lucky if he's still around for our (Adelaide's) 2nd rounder. I know we need mids but I'm really not sold on any apart from Lalor, and would honestly prefer Travaglia to all the others that I have seen thus far. Only way I think we get him is splitting Battle compo into 2 later first rounders (probably with GC).

His ceiling is most definitely elite. That’s usually why players get picked in the top 5-10. You don’t draft players inside those picks thinking he’ll be a solid citizen.

You'd hope they do, when you're picking in the top 10 you want as close to perfection as you can get. There's just something about him that doesn't excite me. He had a poor champs game in one of them so maybe I can't get that out of my head.

I guess if Lalor is all grunt and lacks polish, Draper is almost too far into the polish and lacking some grunt for my liking.

I like him too.

Just get something with zip we are just soooooo 1 paced in there ..

This is one of those things that gets thrown around but not sure it's that accurate. Most sides will carry a couple of extractors. One generally can play a bit more of a running game. There aren't many true inside mids that are fast because ideally you have power off a step types around the centre.

To me we could do with a grunt extractor to get the ball outside to our fast outside players. With Marshall being an average tap ruck, we could do with guys who can contest.

That said if Jagga is available I'm grabbing him. He's an extractor but with a unique evasiveness.

This has me a bit flat. Trainor with our natural pick. Most of the cream mids gone before our pick. Lalor is looking like the best of the left overs. Would love multiple picks between 10 and 20. Freo looks well placed.

This has me a bit flat. Trainor with our natural pick. Most of the cream mids gone before our pick. Lalor is looking like the best of the left overs. Would love multiple picks between 10 and 20. Freo looks well placed.

i wouldnt be wasting too many emotions on that phantom draft
1.north aint pick 1 and likely wont be
2.all ive heard is that richmond is all over o'sullivan
3.if smilie and o'sullivan gone,north surely a big chance to take trainor,thouigh i guess smith stocks rising for them
4.we probably shoot ourselves in foot,but we still a fair chance to finish under crows

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back