List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who in their right mind would prefer to see Jones running around in the RWB over Oliver.

Oliver at 50% from his peak, with a inside 30 draft pick plus his salary is a trade loss for Saints.

Oliver at 75% peak Oliver draft pick and Salary over Jones next year is a no brainer.

Oliver at 90% peak Oliver plus draft pick and Salary over Jones works out to be the call of the century.

Sort of makes a bit of sense as experts see this draft as a deep known unknown type draft.

Olivers salary equates to Battle and Jones, we also snare a chance at two good footballers as well.

We are not winning a flag with the status quo of Battle and Jones but maybe with peak Oliver and the extra 2 draft picks plus everything else we have at the moment we are a better odds of getting there.

Provided we do the DD on Oliver and we as a club embrace the seriously gutsy move that we would be doing....I would embrace it.

If Oliver is a flog and not worth the risk then he fits really well at Adelaide, as they seriously need something.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And they all think it’s the crows
They think it’s the crows because their CEO didn’t shut it down when effectively asked.

I know we are sniffing already. Because I shared a few weeks ago via pm that Melbourne spoke to us about the framework of a deal.

If he does come to Moorabbin. I ****ing hope it’s with a draft asset attached.

They think it’s the crows because their CEO didn’t shut it down when effectively asked.

I know we are sniffing already. Because I shared a few weeks ago via pm that Melbourne spoke to us about the framework of a deal.

Well it certainly won't be what you said they wanted. Ludicrous.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

whos got the its happening gif?? View attachment 2056464

z6NHPxb.gif

And simultaneously everyone wants the great draft picks but won’t want to trade them for players.

I think you can understand the juggling act with managing a list and supporters expectations around it.

You and I see it differently. As long as we keep our great picks and pay absolutely minimal draft assets. I couldn’t care less about Shiel or Macrae or Stephen Powell for a year or two.

They are senior players who will support the hopefully excellent kids we will have coming through
The concept that everyone we bring into the club will be a 200 gamer is crazy. There are countless sides who move forward getting a year or two out of players and the same goes for a lot of premiership sides.

I’m more than happy for any add ons that can help us so long as the core is there.

Well it certainly won't be what you said they wanted. Ludicrous.

What if it was Melbourne’s first pick and Oliver? (Spitballing)

I was no fan of their proposal. Which is why I said that they will get more desperate closer to trade time.

The concept that everyone we bring into the club will be a 200 gamer is crazy. There are countless sides who move forward getting a year or two out of players and the same goes for a lot of premiership sides.

I’m more than happy for any add ons that can help us so long as the core is there.
I agree.

I’m not fussed about anything else.

Either we land free agents or for the time being build our draft hands.

We aren’t at the point to sell our primary draft capital for established players.

Just build our list with as much talent as possible and buy low where we can

When Saints go to Trade.

Step 1 , heap of people declare "he's the missing link, he's just what we need "
Step 2 , trading team plays hardball, the player wants us, but the other team are asking too much.
Step 3, pay an arm and a leg, "get the deal done", yep we are movers and shakers we can "get the deal done".
Step 4, Injured during pre-season ( if not suspended for a year ).
Step 5, He's not playing that well, lets attribute it to injury interrupted pre-season.
Step 6, He's still not playing well. Oh Shit he's injured again, or off on personal leave.

Meanwhile: Player taken with pick we traded in in Brownlow contention.

it took me page 319 to this on 323 for it to hit me

did some smartass import a heap of posts re battle from a month or two ago?because im sure im reading all the same stuff over again

like a trick my old man used to play on his workmate,putting the cover of todays herald sun on yesterdays or last weeks,then watching as he gradually worked it out that he had read all that before

well 4 pages of same exact conversation from a month or 2 ago,congrats,you got me,whoever it was
we are actually all AI Bots... we didn't want to break it to you but you're actually the only human on here

Almost identical to what he said about Gresh last year.

Feels like what he's saying is we're happy to see him go for band one.

gresham felt a bit different. ross had a bit of angst and made a comment about gresham being stuck between his manager and the club.

Clayton Oliver is 27 years old and with credentials like this... surely you jest

2× AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award: 2021, 2022
3× All-Australian team: 2018, 2021, 2022
4× Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Trophy: 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022
Lou Richards Medal: 2021
AFLCA Best Young Player of the Year Award: 2017
Morrish Medal: 2015
3× 22under22 team: 2017, 2018, 2019
Sid Anderson Memorial Trophy (Melbourne B&F Runner-Up): 2018
Harold Ball Memorial Trophy: 2017
Neale Daniher Trophy: 2022
AFL Rising Star nominee: 2016 (round 1)

Dylan Shiels credentials

Second in the Essendon Football Club Best and Fairest.

Clayton Oliver is 27 years old and with credentials like this... surely you jest

2× AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award: 2021, 2022
3× All-Australian team: 2018, 2021, 2022
4× Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Trophy: 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022
Lou Richards Medal: 2021
AFLCA Best Young Player of the Year Award: 2017
Morrish Medal: 2015
3× 22under22 team: 2017, 2018, 2019
Sid Anderson Memorial Trophy (Melbourne B&F Runner-Up): 2018
Harold Ball Memorial Trophy: 2017
Neale Daniher Trophy: 2022
AFL Rising Star nominee: 2016 (round 1)

Dylan Shiels credentials

Second in the Essendon Football Club Best and Fairest.
What am I jesting about?

The fact he has some serious off field issues and that if we woke up tomorrow he could be dead and no one would be surprised?

Or the fact that he is owed 1.1m for each year of his remaining contract and with everything else surrounding Oliver that if we took that on I’d want draft compensation for the risk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver and his full contract, if we consider him at all also comes with Melbs first round pick as a minimum. Maybe throw in Membrey as a sweetener with another late pick back to us this year or next.

Would love to see us trade pick 4 to Adelaide on the night so they take Draper and they give us 6 and something else preferably their pick 29 we give them say our 47. Or maybe Freo bite at Draper and we swap our second for their first either of these scenarios would be stuff draft night dreams are made of.

If North take Trainor then imagine getting 2 of Smith FOS Smilie or Langford.

With the potential of an Oliver trade and draft night shenanigans could add Lalor/Reid and Taj Hotton/Travaglia to that list....the Saints then seriously changed their fortunes for good or bad...just sit back and watch it unfold. Add to it the Oliver wildcard we would be must watch TV in 2025 and 2026.

Almost equivalent of Kangas Wardlaw Sheezel Mckercher and Duursma....all without AFL help.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This argument has more holes than cartoon cheese.

It could easily be said that we don’t have a side good enough to win those games.

The balanced view would be that we should have won 50% of those games. In which case we are where most fans thought. Stuck in 7-8th with a huge battle on our hands to make the 8 as it’s so bloody close.

So, we aren’t good enough to contend but good enough to fight for the right to be bent over week 1 of September action again.

You and others might enjoy saying we made finals.

But man I want to feel like we are good enough to win the ****ing thing again.
Correct
I’m a Lyon fan but the “we lost a lot of close ones” is a bit of a myth
Go back by and look at how many we were really likely to win??
We kept score close for quite a few …I wouldn’t say I ever felt we were “in” all those games
We are bottom 8-14 side
Not good enough to really challenge but a soft draw off playing finals …
We have to go hard now to bring in talent
We’ve been in this cycle for a decade
And get moving before TAS
That will mean some calculated risk - I can’t see us 1 top at a time getting ahead of this anytime soon

What am I jesting about?

The fact he has some serious off field issues and that if we woke up tomorrow he could be dead and no one would be surprised?

Or the fact that he is owed 1.1m for each year of his remaining contract and with everything else surrounding Oliver that if we took that on I’d want draft compensation for the risk?

We have balked at players with off field issues before. No one would go near Dusty... including us and he went on to create a dynasty at Richmond.

Lets not even talk about how easily Hawthorn got a match winner like Ginnivan.

I'd back the club to be a great space to help players overcome their off field issues. We literally haven't had any major player issues for years.

Sometimes all a person needs is a new space and voice.

We have balked at players with off field issues before. No one would go near Dusty... including us and he went on to create a dynasty at Richmond.

I'd back the club to be a great space to help players overcome their off field issues. We literally haven't had any major player issues for years.

Sometimes all a person needs is a new space and voice.
I’m not against recruiting Oliver. Go for it.

I’m against taking on that deal and it costing us a 1st or 2nd round pick.

As far as I see it. Oliver at current and on that deal is a negative Melbourne asset.

If they want to get off a player with his issues and on that contract. We should demand their first for our second for example.

He is contracted until 2030 and is owed $1.1m per season until then.

There is no guarantee he returns to the player he was.

I’m all for the risk. Provided we get a good pick for doing so.

What if it was Melbourne’s first pick and Oliver? (Spitballing)

I was no fan of their proposal. Which is why I said that they will get more desperate closer to trade time.
Their first would be pick 9, so 4 5 and 9 plus Oliver less Battle.
If we could get Melbourne to pay $100k we would in $ terms be even if Battle left.

My god I cant believe we are even talking about Oliver let alone wanting to recruit him.

The guy is a f..... train wreck, if our club are that desparate to look at an idiot like that then I will be completely done.

Its no different to the people wanting to recruit Cousins back in the day. When he was obviously still using which was his choice. He was a self absorbed spoilt little twat and it was his life style choices and issues that lead him down that path.

Cousins continued on after playing for another 15 years causing devastation to peoples lives. He was in and out of goal. What about the domestic violence and the abuse of his partners and other criminal activity he was convicted of, people have very short memories when it comes to these so-called stars of our game.

How do you think all his victims feel now he has stopped using and is put up on some mantle again. They live with that hurt and damage everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their first would be pick 9, so 4 5 and 9 plus Oliver less Battle.
If we could get Melbourne to pay $100k we would in $ terms be even if Battle left.

melbourne odds on to drop a few of their next 5...could end up being Pick 6/7

Lets not speculate, no-one knows what he is going through ... only he does and those close to him.

Mate do you think he would be playing as well as he is if he was devastated about leaving OR he privately decided to stay... players arent robots. To think otherwise is just being a drama queen.

Mate do you think he would be playing as well as he is if he was devastated about leaving OR he privately decided to stay... players arent robots. To think otherwise is just being a drama queen.

Everyone goes through troubled periods in their life's, its just that footballers life's are amplified 1000%. He needs a change of atmosphere, new prospective and a fresh challenge.

I'd back Clayton to sort it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back