2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow that is a great insight. The example that springs to mind with me immediately is Garcia.
Picked in the 50's, none of us had heard of him, but if one of the criteria was Beatson's it is now obvious to us fans what they saw.
To me he such a competitor. Maybe some thought a bit small, but that competitiveness is in everything he does.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
My wife who's only been following the game for the 8 years we've been together loves Garcia. She was dirty on the coaches for playing him those weeks as the sub. I showed her a career highlights package of Lenny and she said "that's him. FFS play him!". She's right of course

My wife who's only been following the game for the 8 years we've been together loves Garcia. She was dirty on the coaches for playing him those weeks as the sub. I showed her a career highlights package of Lenny and she said "that's him. FFS play him!". She's right of course
Get her to talk to Ross. Sounds like she’d sort him out.

Surely we get in the mix for this pick?

Not sure how we could get it from West Coast.

If it were from Richmond, 8 and 2025 1st for 3 & 15ish (Suns). Unlikely they'd go for that though.

So 7, 8 and 2025 1st for 3, 10 (from Freo) & 15ish (from Suns).

I don't think Toce left on wonderful terms, so there is the grudge aspect to consider also.

I can't see a trade this year where we could get pick 3 at a reasonable cost, the above are too one sided for any other club to take them seriously unless they see us falling off a cliff.

Not sure how we could get it from West Coast.

If it were from Richmond, 8 and 2025 1st for 3 & 15ish (Suns). Unlikely they'd go for that though.

So 7, 8 and 2025 1st for 3, 10 (from Freo) & 15ish (from Suns).

I don't think Toce left on wonderful terms, so there is the grudge aspect to consider also.

I can't see a trade this year where we could get pick 3 at a reasonable cost, the above are too one sided for any other club to take them seriously unless they see us falling off a cliff.

I wouldn't move up the order and just try hope that we get a slider. This draft feels like the best players could come anywhere from pick 1 to 25. I feel like a top 5 pick just gives you access to the player you rate highest, not a consensus player and that would be a lot to pay for the privilege.

I'm still not sure who I'd take with pick 1 if we had it. I'm really vibing on Langford and Reid. I have a good feeling about both and think it would be a pretty good combo. Both are every chance to be there at our picks. With our second rounder there should be plenty of guns still available too. I'd almost go tall. Faull, Shanahan, Simms, Tauru even Moraes are probably going to still be around. Maybe one of the Whitlock twins.

There is a lot to like in this draft, but working on the basis that FOS, Jagga and Draper will be gone by pick 7 these are still my two. Neither is a centre clearance bull, which Smillie and Lalor may end up becoming, but both have centre clearance smarts and are great with the ball in hand. Which fits in perfectly with the Ross Lyon intercept and transition game plan.

I would be more inclined to select Reid and Langford in this draft and pry Alex Davies out of the GC to be an inside big bodied clearance mid. Or push Steele further inside with Zak Jones and/or Dylan Shiel. But these two will give us plenty of drive through the middle.

I wouldn't move up the order and just try hope that we get a slider. This draft feels like the best players could come anywhere from pick 1 to 25. I feel like a top 5 pick just gives you access to the player you rate highest, not a consensus player and that would be a lot to pay for the privilege.

I'm still not sure who I'd take with pick 1 if we had it. I'm really vibing on Langford and Reid. I have a good feeling about both and think it would be a pretty good combo. Both are every chance to be there at our picks. With our second rounder there should be plenty of guns still available too. I'd almost go tall. Faull, Shanahan, Simms, Tauru even Moraes are probably going to still be around. Maybe one of the Whitlock twins.
I can't make myself watch enough footage this year. Lindsey, Travaglia and Hynes for me and not that fussed about who we get at 7/8 for the reasons you say.
Could we possibly draft 5 plus our priority access kids? I hope so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a lot to like in this draft, but working on the basis that FOS, Jagga and Draper will be gone by pick 7 these are still my two. Neither is a centre clearance bull, which Smillie and Lalor may end up becoming, but both have centre clearance smarts and are great with the ball in hand. Which fits in perfectly with the Ross Lyon intercept and transition game plan.

I would be more inclined to select Reid and Langford in this draft and pry Alex Davies out of the GC to be an inside big bodied clearance mid. Or push Steele further inside with Zak Jones and/or Dylan Shiel. But these two will give us plenty of drive through the middle.

All we need is for someone to take trainor before our picks and we might have both these players. Such an exciting top ten

For anyone in the know....Has Boston Everitt fallen out of consideration as a Father/Son?

Hope he get asked to come back next year as a 19 year old

T3rQArr.jpeg

The versatile left-footer has high appeal through simply being very good at a lot of things. He can play as a midfielder or half-back, he can change the game with his angled and precise kicking, he has speed and agility and since overcoming some injury at the start of the year he plays well most weeks. After being an All-Australian at under-18 level following a great finish to the championships with Vic Country, when he picked up 30 disposals, Lindsay has averaged 28 disposals with Gippsland and also hit the scoreboard, kicking 2.4 in those three games.

Welcome to the Saints Xavier!
He's the best kick in the crop this year. Question is his contest ability and his upside as an inside mid at 183cm without elite speed. No one would want to spend a top 10 pick on a long-term winger

Hmm, both FoS and Lalor having very interrupted seasons. Draper is the only one who came back from injury firing

That sort of thing can be a real concern.
Players like Nathan Freeman taken early , then constantly injured.
Injury is one of the main reasons early picks fail in the long run.

Polec.
O'Rourke
Kade Kolodjashnij ( Concussion )
Scharenberg
Freeman
McCartin ( Concussion ).

Polec.
O'Rourke
Scharenberg
Freeman
McCartin ( Concussion ).
Yep amongst others who slid a few spots in their draft year due to injury:

J Selwood
C Judd
D Heppell
J Stringer
J Lever

Polec.
O'Rourke
Scharenberg
Freeman
McCartin ( Concussion ).
Those guys weren't necessarily injury concerns when drafted though. Selwood, Judd and Wardlaw though, all had injury concerns in their draft year

Josh Murphy giving me Robbie Gray vibes. Didn't Robie kick a bunch of goals in u18s but was considered too small to play his role at AFL level and went late? Hardwick from Hawks also comes to mind

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back