List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is because we end up over paying glorified spuds with minimal output.

For example Gresham was on 800k. How much did we over pay billings and acres for the longest time.

Battle is part of the fabric of the club.
BUt battle may not want to be part of the fabric. He is a free agent and he cand do what he wants.

z6NHPxb.gif
Needs more Lobb

Just as there was some comms previously, and I dunno why this needs a reminder;

You do not speculate about a player being on any sort of substance.
You do not state as such openly what that substance is.

Especially in the case where you are talking hard paraphernalia, STFU. You know it, great, keep it to yourself. It voids site rulings, it voids terms, you will be punished.

Melbourne will end up picking up a fair chunk of his salary so I don’t think it’s what will ultimately stop a side taking him on.

If they don’t contribute to his salary then they have to chuck in an early draft pick.

The problem with the Oliver contract (as it has been reported) is that it is back ended and is indexed by corresponding increases in the salary cap.

A ticking time bomb.

If we have 4/5 I’d even consider splitting 5 depending on who we take at 4, great draft to have multiple first round picks imo.

Gold Coast is the club to target. Tell them we are as keen as mustard on their gun academy kid but if they trade then we won’t bid.

Keep 4. Trade them 5.

you need to actually draft a mid and develop them. its very risky. its unknown. we've had very little success there and i know its a new head recruiter and list boss. pretty sure the swans didn't need top 5 picks to build their midfield. i know heeney is a top 5 academy pick. the rest weren't or don't play midfield (i.e. mills).

schoenmark cannot defend. he's not a battle replacement and if he's going to be that player its speculative and could take 3 years.

battle is a very popular player, as seen on the weekend. i'd be wary of letting those guys go. at 26 he's now ready to start becoming a leader. some players take longer to develop into leadership roles. see hill for example. hill's not in the leadership group, neither is wood from memory. both are crucial to mentoring the younger players.

reallocating cap space? for what? no free agent is coming if we don't play finals. no decent trade targets that form part of the engine are coming. it'll be flankers and very average KPP/midfield talent looking for opportunity and $$$.

what you're going to do is stunt the immediate onfield results which will affect attracting and retaining talent.
We do not know how much better shoenmaker will be. This is his 1st season. I wonder what the comparison shoenmaker 1st year to Battle 1st year?

Sometimes clubs and player need a fresh start. Melbourne clearly have the speed wobbles and a reset.

Gawn Melsham McDonald and May 32. Viney and Brown 30.

A non performing Oliver on approx 12% of their salary cap. Angus Brayshaw payments as well handbrakes their salary cap. They are in for a few years of pain some of their own making.

You can rebuild with draft picks or recruiting using the salary cap. They have little salary cap space to top up and I cannot see the veterans retiring just yet.

So cut the cancer out and take a hit in the 2024 draft and reset for 2025 bottom out and do a Stkilda see if you can move on a player like Battle and get 2 picks in first 5 and have salary cap to trade with.

Who the hell knows what's really going to happen...but it will be interesting to see the strategies and the spin that goes with it

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d back our guys to evaluate Oliver, and then if clear make the right deal. We have a very experienced crew now. Not naive.

Draft pick to us, part of the salary….Membrey in the deal somewhere? Clauses about hair tests. Would have to be very much in our favor.

I remember about 18 months ago admiring Clarrie’s game and wishing we had someone like that. With a solid pre-season (which he didn’t get this year) I could see him getting back towards his best.

Quite a bit of water to go under the bridge before we get too excited. Or triggered! Depends on your viewpoint. 😂😂

I’d back our guys to evaluate Oliver, and then if clear make the right deal. We have a very experienced crew now. Not naive.

Draft pick to us, part of the salary….Membrey in the deal somewhere? Clauses about hair tests. Would have to be very much in our favor.

I remember about 18 months ago admiring Clarrie’s game and wishing we had someone like that. With a solid pre-season (which he didn’t get this year) I could see him getting back towards his best.

Quite a bit of water to go under the bridge before we get too excited. Or triggered! Depends on your viewpoint. 😂😂
Perfect post. If we prioritise draft quality the trade moves are in support of that and should not cause any angst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What am I jesting about?

The fact he has some serious off field issues and that if we woke up tomorrow he could be dead and no one would be surprised?

Or the fact that he is owed 1.1m for each year of his remaining contract and with everything else surrounding Oliver that if we took that on I’d want draft compensation for the risk?

You'd want to pay him most of the money in the first couple of years because he's very unlikely to survive the contract and we don't want to lose other players for a guy already off the list.

We do not know how much better shoenmaker will be. This is his 1st season. I wonder what the comparison shoenmaker 1st year to Battle 1st year?

I wonder how much we can trade Shoenmaker back to Tassie for?

I love Oliver but he's not a guy you want guiding a squad with a bulk of them under 23. Social issues galore.

Nor would he be at any rate.

They are definitely going to be exposed to him though. Your club is the people in it. Lyon had a lot of players with social issues at Freo and you could say at St Kilda. Not sure he cares about policing them.

The big question to me is if it's time to clear out the older players and expose the younger ones. From this season I'd say the likes of Windy, Pou, Nas, Chito, Byrnes and Henry are ready to become men.
Clearing all of Ross, Jones, Membrey and Crouch would be a big move, but maybe the best thing for growth.

**** me I do all the heavy lifting in here.

Crouch future in balance as Saints consider another Shiel bid​

11:31 PM · Jul 5, 2024
Dylan Shiel is back on St Kilda’s radar after being the subject of trade interest last year, with the interest coming as Brad Crouch’s AFL future is under a serious cloud.
Crouch, 30, has played only one senior game (in Round 2) and five VFL matches this year due to ongoing knee pain, which kept him off the training track again on Tuesday.

Crouch has bravely tried to play on with heavy strapping around his left knee at times in the VFL this season, gathering 27, 31, 33 and 38 disposals for Sandringham in his appearances across May-June. But he has had trouble training over the past month and may be physically unable to play on at the top level next year, pending more medical checks and discussions with St Kilda officials.

[PLAYERCARD]Brad Crouch[/PLAYERCARD]’s career is in doubt. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Brad Crouch’s career is in doubt. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Crouch, who arrived as a free agent from Adelaide in 2020, has one more year to run on his five-year contract. But the lingering knee issue could force the workhorse to wind up his AFL career early as part of an agreement with the club at season’s end.

It comes as St Kilda weigh-up whether to make another play for Essendon onballer Dylan Shiel ahead of the Saints’ clash against the Bombers at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

The Saints are expected to continue their aggressive list turnover this year in a bid to bring more top-line talent into the club. In particular, the Saints want to replenish the midfield brigade with some more explosive ball-winners over the next two years.

[PLAYERCARD]Dylan Shiel[/PLAYERCARD] is back on St Kilda’s radar. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Dylan Shiel is back on St Kilda’s radar. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Shiel, 31, has made an encouraging return to AFL level averaging 25 disposals over his last three games, and would add another respected leader to the Saints’ core after meeting with him last year about a potential move.
The Bombers are facing a selection squeeze in the midfield with superstar Darcy Parish set to return from his latest soft tissue injury possibly through the VFL this weekend, while first-round picks Ben Hobbs and Elijah Tsatas also wait in the wings.

Shiel, 31, has shown he still has a nice burst despite ankle and foot trouble in recent years, and could help add some speed and power to the Saints’ setup for next year, with one more year remaining on his contract at Essendon.

[PLAYERCARD]Paddy Dow[/PLAYERCARD] is set to return in round 20. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Paddy Dow is set to return in round 20. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Saints’ midfielder Paddy Dow could make his return to AFL level for the clash against Essendon after a sizzling 32 disposals and 11 clearances in the VFL at the weekend to help replace injured playmaker Liam Henry.

Crouch’s predicament is a tough situation for a man who has become a popular team member and reliable midfielder at the Saints, playing at least 20 games in each of his first three seasons at Moorabbin. He finished fifth, sixth and sixth in St Kilda’s club champion awards in those campaigns after taking out Adelaide’s best and fairest in 2019.

Crouch has been lauded for his consistency and effort in the Saints’ on-ball department after returning home to Victoria in the middle of Covid-19.

This article contains features which are only available in the web versionTake me there
The Saints have thrown their full support behind the Ballarat product in a bid to try and overcome his knee issue following arthroscopic surgery on March 25.

He played his last game in the VFL on June 8 and hobbled from the training track midway through a session the following week in what could have been the final blow for the hard ball-winner. He has strong business interests off the field after partnering with Callum Wilkie on a freight venture.

The Saints are also at risk of losing gun defender Josh Battle to a big-money free agency offer from Hawthorn. Mobile marking forward Tim Membrey is also yet to sign a new deal after a brilliant five-goal haul in a thumping 72-point win over West Coast on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back