List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll preface this by saying I've loved Crouch and there were more factors at play at the time (such as draft capital and managers playing funny buggers).

BUT, Crouch vs Caldwell now seems like a bit of a short term fix mistake. Crouch came with an injury history who finally came good, but was always going to give us less years and now Caldwell seems to have come good.
Worst thing is that Caldwell was set on coming to us before Crouch nominated us and he realised that the midfield time we promised him might not come to fruition

Then he goes to Essendon and doesn't play midfield for 3 years...

i think we can do both sides of this dual narrative without selling off players. i understand releasing players like gresham, billings etc. as they're flankers. they're never going to be part of the spine or engine room. they're also playing the positions you would start young and upcoming mids in.

battle is a KPP talent. i'd retain them especially for 200k a year difference. i'd maintain the core parts of the best 22 and take the draft hand you have. so i'd retain him.

i wouldn't trade a first rounder for a player unless its something elite think mccluggage. i wouldn't push back a current first rounder in say this years draft by trading into a future draft. as it's just going to delay the development.

stay the course. keep pushing ahead with what we are doing without taking massive risks around the best 22.
Again I say, it up to Battle. It might be about money if we gave him an extra 500k per year, but it most likely is not, and he wants to go.

**** me I do all the heavy lifting in here.

Crouch future in balance as Saints consider another Shiel bid​

11:31 PM · Jul 5, 2024
Dylan Shiel is back on St Kilda’s radar after being the subject of trade interest last year, with the interest coming as Brad Crouch’s AFL future is under a serious cloud.
Crouch, 30, has played only one senior game (in Round 2) and five VFL matches this year due to ongoing knee pain, which kept him off the training track again on Tuesday.

Crouch has bravely tried to play on with heavy strapping around his left knee at times in the VFL this season, gathering 27, 31, 33 and 38 disposals for Sandringham in his appearances across May-June. But he has had trouble training over the past month and may be physically unable to play on at the top level next year, pending more medical checks and discussions with St Kilda officials.

Brad Crouch’s career is in doubt. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Brad Crouch’s career is in doubt. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Crouch, who arrived as a free agent from Adelaide in 2020, has one more year to run on his five-year contract. But the lingering knee issue could force the workhorse to wind up his AFL career early as part of an agreement with the club at season’s end.

It comes as St Kilda weigh-up whether to make another play for Essendon onballer Dylan Shiel ahead of the Saints’ clash against the Bombers at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

The Saints are expected to continue their aggressive list turnover this year in a bid to bring more top-line talent into the club. In particular, the Saints want to replenish the midfield brigade with some more explosive ball-winners over the next two years.

Dylan Shiel is back on St Kilda’s radar. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Dylan Shiel is back on St Kilda’s radar. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Shiel, 31, has made an encouraging return to AFL level averaging 25 disposals over his last three games, and would add another respected leader to the Saints’ core after meeting with him last year about a potential move.
The Bombers are facing a selection squeeze in the midfield with superstar Darcy Parish set to return from his latest soft tissue injury possibly through the VFL this weekend, while first-round picks Ben Hobbs and Elijah Tsatas also wait in the wings.

Shiel, 31, has shown he still has a nice burst despite ankle and foot trouble in recent years, and could help add some speed and power to the Saints’ setup for next year, with one more year remaining on his contract at Essendon.

Paddy Dow is set to return in round 20. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Paddy Dow is set to return in round 20. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Saints’ midfielder Paddy Dow could make his return to AFL level for the clash against Essendon after a sizzling 32 disposals and 11 clearances in the VFL at the weekend to help replace injured playmaker Liam Henry.

Crouch’s predicament is a tough situation for a man who has become a popular team member and reliable midfielder at the Saints, playing at least 20 games in each of his first three seasons at Moorabbin. He finished fifth, sixth and sixth in St Kilda’s club champion awards in those campaigns after taking out Adelaide’s best and fairest in 2019.

Crouch has been lauded for his consistency and effort in the Saints’ on-ball department after returning home to Victoria in the middle of Covid-19.

This article contains features which are only available in the web versionTake me there
The Saints have thrown their full support behind the Ballarat product in a bid to try and overcome his knee issue following arthroscopic surgery on March 25.

He played his last game in the VFL on June 8 and hobbled from the training track midway through a session the following week in what could have been the final blow for the hard ball-winner. He has strong business interests off the field after partnering with Callum Wilkie on a freight venture.

The Saints are also at risk of losing gun defender Josh Battle to a big-money free agency offer from Hawthorn. Mobile marking forward Tim Membrey is also yet to sign a new deal after a brilliant five-goal haul in a thumping 72-point win over West Coast on Saturday.

I'm pretty certain we are trolling the fans now.

Even on his form this year, Oliver would be in our best midfielders. If he came with Melbourne’s 1st this year I’d take all the salary he’s owed on.
But I’m a gambling man.

Melbourne fans are pretty delusional in what a trade would look like. They think Kane Cornes’ suggestion that he would be packaged along with 1st round picks and some of the salary still paid by Melbourne is ludicrous.

Hard to know the real situation with him outside of football and if he is on the mend in any way, hopefully it all works out.

I can't say I've watched all of their games but the ones that I have he's barely impacting. He's gone from a dominant bull to a peripheral player. He would be below Steele on what I've seen and Steele has been very average since he hurt a knee a couple of months back. Clayton looks like he's half in.

I'm not saying that he won't get back to his best but he's lucky that they don't have depth at the moment because he probably should be dropped to the VFL to sort his shit out.

He was one of my favourite players once but he's nothing like that guy any more. It's a massive gamble because his contract is a cap killer in length and scale and his multiple social issues make him a huge risk to not only never sort out his footy but his life. Melbourne aren't giving him up because he's back on track.

The recent cases of players who have serious off field issues hasn't had positive outcomes. Scariliy a few have passed through Ross Lyon's hands. If I was him I'd be staying away.

Worst thing is that Caldwell was set on coming to us before Crouch nominated us and he realised that the midfield time we promised him might not come to fruition

Then he goes to Essendon and doesn't play midfield for 3 years...

Essendon upped their offer and we stopped talking to him when his management came back with an higher price. He still thought he was coming. Sounds like we could have had both. We would have missed out on Allison though.

Essendon upped their offer and we stopped talking to him when his management came back with an higher price. He still thought he was coming. Sounds like we could have had both. We would have missed out on Allison though.
Yeah I think this is the more accurate version. There were zero rumours about us going for Crouch until Caldwell wasn’t coming. I’m guessing we didn’t want to end up empty handed from the trade/FA period.

See it as an opportunity I guess.

It’s been a shit year onfield.

Tracking the same way off field with the missed free agents. Battle and potentially losing crouch to retirement.

Go to the draft. See what’s floating around after delistings are made.

Just keep our picks first rounder/s. Don’t do anything stupid.

If an opportunity like Oliver presents. Buy low

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See it as an opportunity I guess.

It’s been a shit year onfield.

Tracking the same way off field with the missed free agents. Battle and potentially losing crouch to retirement.

Go to the draft. See what’s floating around after delistings are made.

Just keep our picks first rounder/s. Don’t do anything stupid.

If an opportunity like Oliver presents. Buy low
With Shiel, why not go after someone like Will Brodie who likely offers more in the long term?

With Shiel, why not go after someone like Will Brodie who likely offers more in the long term?
Maybe they will.

I imagine it’s purely the cost involved to bring the player across (draft assets not salary)

If it wasn’t about Draft Assets. We would be leaking that our first pick is on the table - like the crows are doing.

But we are still zeroed in on hitting the draft and that limits the possibilities of what we could bring in.

I actually look at this entire year as an opportunity to reset without having a list that’s bottomed out.

We’re currently 15th, our best footy is a lot better than 15th, and we seemed to have improved our worst footy in the last 2 months.

As such we have pick 4 in hand currently, and could we land pick 5 should battle leave.

Given the number of close losses and the evenness of the competition it wouldn’t shock if we jumped back up the ladder next year and the opportunity to stockpile some elite young picks prior to will only benefit us in the pursuit of sustained success.

Truthfully, I think we’re a strong midfield away from being top 4-6. We are littered with talent around the periphery. Players like Wilkie, Sinclair, NWM, King, Marshall, Owens, Higgins and Hill are as good as any in their position in the comp. We just need to add some high end talent next to Steele, and further development of Phillipou and it can turn very quickly.

Keep an eye out for someone like George Hewett if he gets dropped again & has a stint in the VFL he would suit our midfield.

If it wasn’t about Draft Assets. We would be leaking that our first pick is on the table - like the crows are doing.

Well if you aren't going to put much on the table, then you aren't going to get a whole lot in return.

Good luck with that. You only really get salary dump options with this strategy.

Does he though?

Brodie has had one reasonable season but has been stuck in the QAFL/WAFL outside of that.

Shiel is not exactly at artist with ball in hand but he makes Brodie look like Luke Dunstan when it comes to hitting a target.

I really feel uneasy about the fact that Lyon took on the likes of Harley Bennell and Colin Sylvia when he was at Freo.

Does he though?

Brodie has had one reasonable season but has been stuck in the QAFL/WAFL outside of that.

Shiel is not exactly at artist with ball in hand but he makes Brodie look like Luke Dunstan when it comes to hitting a target.

Good idea, maybe we can get Luke Dunstan back.

Well if you aren't going to put much on the table, then you aren't going to get a whole lot in return.

Good luck with that. You only really get salary dump options with this strategy.
Which is clearly what’s happening.

They want to go to the draft. That’s not new information.

I really feel uneasy about the fact that Lyon took on the likes of Harley Bennell and Colin Sylvia when he was at Freo.
Are they options again? If so why worry about something that happened a decade ago?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back