List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a draft system F/S or any other concession picks should not be allowed - it has made the draft system a joke.

Or make it fair. Pay fair value and not junk picks.

No, it means that he’s been identified as someone with significant talent that we can sign without parting with anything more than financial capital.

We’ve been insistent that we’re going to the draft since Ross walked in the door, and we don’t really have the expendable trade capital to land someone of equal talent and ability who is currently on a list.

We may have other targets in sight who are around the periphery’s of other clubs best 22, however none that pose the same level of upside as Thomas hence our exploration.
Well they had to take the decision of going for DeGoey to the Board for a vote , yet are looking at Thomas -- who been basically black listed / bit of a back flip there

Do people actually think the club would sign Tarryn Thomas without doing any due diligence?

Happy to back the club in and glad to hear they are looking at every possible option to improve the playing list.

Picking up an A great talent for free is not a bad starting point.

Would be more of a distraction, than help? As at the Roos.

I wouldn’t be please having him around my family.

Personally I hope the AFL blocks TT return to the AFL for a bit longer. Really make him earn a list spot and appreciate the opportunity he has on hand.

Personally I hope the AFL blocks TT return to the AFL for a bit longer. Really make him earn a list spot and appreciate the opportunity he has on hand.

I wouldn't stress too much. The chances of him coming back would be pretty slim IMO.

Yeah 5 years is probably fair. That said there are examples of players taking even longer than that.

Mason Wood is one on our team.

That said my point was more around some of the impatience around here not any specific timeframe a player should get grace.
No worries, I wasn't meaning to antagonise. Your post was good, it just got me thinking on what the timeframe should be for a player 👍

Just the one year off?
What Is Going On American Horror Story GIF by AHS

If his court date is in November it seems very unlikely we'd pick him up this year. Probably have to do a year at Sandy or something like that if he's cleared in court.

Do people actually think the club would sign Tarryn Thomas without doing any due diligence?

Happy to back the club in and glad to hear they are looking at every possible option to improve the playing list.

Picking up an A great talent for free is not a bad starting point.
Aside from due diligence you’d hope there were hefty behavioural clauses in any contract put before him.

If his court date is in November it seems very unlikely we'd pick him up this year. Probably have to do a year at Sandy or something like that if he's cleared in court.

At least then we can draft him as the obligatory “Sandy fella” in 2025 when all the other “Sandy fellas” are playing like surburban reserves players

Everyone agrees we need mids - and good ones , not making up the numbers ones.

Pou looks a likely prospect but probably 2026 before we start seeing what peak Pou looks like. Garcia, Ari, Collard all on similar or later timelines.

Draft a couple first rounders and maybe they come good in 2027 if you are lucky, but more likely 2028-9 timeframe- and that’s IF they turn out to be good.

In the interim have to find a way to get some ready to go talent - and we are not yet a destination club - and won’t be until we can play finals consistently- which again is at least 3 years away best case scenario.

So as much as it pains me, bringing in some ready to go, but undesirable or overpaid talent is something we just have to accept as a necessary evil to get us through the next 3 years until our crop of youngsters starts to bear fruit.

I’m at the point of thinking we need to think outside the box, get creative.

TT purely on football ability is a very good player, I’d be surprised if we were the only club making enquiries.

IF the AFL tick it off, and he seems to have turned a leaf, I’d be happy to offer him a contract.

Strict no BS clauses in his contract, the upside to me is pretty high. Any drama or re-offending then cya later.

Can understand why some aren’t keen, but jeez he could play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries, I wasn't meaning to antagonise. Your post was good, it just got me thinking on what the timeframe should be for a player 👍

I think your point about assessing their work ethic maturity etc. was a good one too.

Opportunity and their role can also play a part in when they breakout.

Liam Jones good example there. He was crap and close to being delisted until they tried him down back.

Would the collective we as Saints fans be complaining about these Father Sons if we had the benefit of them? I doubt it…

Of course clubs should have to pay more than they have for these F/S picks but you can’t blame a system that has at one point or another benefited a majority of clubs just because we unfortunately havent had any F/S’s worth drafting or even born.

We had over a decade to improve the list via the draft. We’ve drafted approx 50 players through the National Draft in that time, excluding the rookie draft and other supplemental, etc and just how many have actually come on? We have greater success rummaging in the rookie draft and found 2 AA’s and maybe third in the near future.

The “woe is us” mindset of a large portion of saints fans is getting very tiresome.
Nope.
We’re talking about a code that considers themselves professional yet has a second foot planted firmly in the romance camp. You either are or you’re not.
Yes, we’ve been unlucky on the F/S front.
All we’re asking for is as even a playing field as you can get. So if you’re not doing away with it, don’t make it basically free.

You seriously think the Lions getting Ashcroft this year after potentially winning as flag, or getting damn close, is an equitable competition?

Other clubs have also drafted and managed themselves sh*tly. Which has nothing at all to do with the complete imbalance of leg-ups some clubs get through the sheer luck of a Y chromosome.

When El Pecko turns out to be a star and he's got 32 younger sibling we'll stop whinging.
No, we won’t.
Because Roo’s three sons are going to be playing American football or, heaven forbid, baseball! 😉

Would the collective we as Saints fans be complaining about these Father Sons if we had the benefit of them? I doubt it…

Of course clubs should have to pay more than they have for these F/S picks but you can’t blame a system that has at one point or another benefited a majority of clubs just because we unfortunately havent had any F/S’s worth drafting or even born.

We had over a decade to improve the list via the draft. We’ve drafted approx 50 players through the National Draft in that time, excluding the rookie draft and other supplemental, etc and just how many have actually come on? We have greater success rummaging in the rookie draft and found 2 AA’s and maybe third in the near future.

The “woe is us” mindset of a large portion of saints fans is getting very tiresome.
Unbelievably ignorant take. It is not a matter of whether we are lucky or not with F/S, it is completely unprofessional and corrupt for some clubs to be favoured by the AFL.
If all you can say is stop whinging, I think your fingernail analysis deserves about as much as I have given it. Jog on.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't stress too much. The chances of him coming back would be pretty slim IMO.
I wouldn't say that. His charges stem from breaking an AVO by sending a text(s), not from any explicit criminal behaviour.
Those messages would have to be pretty extreme to result in anything but a fine or good behaviour bond at the most.
If the league say they are waiting for the outcome then it means they will be piggybacking on the court verdict and as usual their decision will be 100% PR motivated.

Or make it fair. Pay fair value and not junk picks.
All most people want is to make them pay. So this year the premiership favourites get Ashcroft for nothing picks AND also get their frdp. So not only a free top ten but a second bite.
But no stop whinging we are told. Enjoy 9th for the next decade.

I'm not saying we should sign him, just happy for the club to look at all options.

From the outside, it's impossible to know if he's changed or shown any remorse at all.

I feel like we have some strong Indigenous leaders at the club, and maybe that could make a difference.

Everyone agrees we need mids - and good ones , not making up the numbers ones.

Pou looks a likely prospect but probably 2026 before we start seeing what peak Pou looks like. Garcia, Ari, Collard all on similar or later timelines.

Draft a couple first rounders and maybe they come good in 2027 if you are lucky, but more likely 2028-9 timeframe- and that’s IF they turn out to be good.

In the interim have to find a way to get some ready to go talent - and we are not yet a destination club - and won’t be until we can play finals consistently- which again is at least 3 years away best case scenario.

So as much as it pains me, bringing in some ready to go, but undesirable or overpaid talent is something we just have to accept as a necessary evil to get us through the next 3 years until our crop of youngsters starts to bear fruit.
Zero sense. You mention Pou and then say mids come good in maybe 2027.
Pou drafted 2022 played well in 2023, broke out in 2024, Nas drafted 2021, break out 2023, etc.
How you can say it will take 3 years to come good when the evidence is that modern draftees mature much quicker makes no sense.
And what's the alternative? Keep playing a bottom 4 midfield?

It all may be nothing IF the AFL permanently deregister him 50/50?

My take is the club are seriously considering him and have leaked the story to the media to get a read on how bad the fall out might be. The other consideration releasing it now gives the key stakeholders time to digest it, if we were to take him on later in the year.

Stay tuned Sainters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back