2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The rumours are also true…

Langford is a genuine chance of going first in the draft. His form has been absolutely irresistible.

On today's game Ashcroft should be the No 1 pick by a fair margin, he was playing with the opposition. It was no surprise that Marshall the other Brisbane NGA also had a very good game .

Langford was my choice when we looked like we had pick # 4 or 5, but I dont think he gets through to us now. I think the only way we get two highly rated mids is if Armstrong and Trainor are taken early which is less likely. Even Reid's stocks keep rising and is a good chance to be taken before our pick also. We really didnt do ourselves any favours (draft wise) winning those late games, but hopefully Dalrymple can make the most of it.

Its difficult to predict what will happen to the picks following the trade period, but unless clubs end up with multiple early picks I cant see anyone taking anything other than midfielders before our pick.

Last edited:
All three of SMilie, Lalor and Pou would be incredibly hard matchups floating forward as well
This is where my head is at. Developing a critical mass of certain types has an exponential benefit. Our acquisition of top runners is yet to properly bleed into our best 22, but when it does we'll be able to simply burn off the slower teams. We're already doing it with our endurance runners.

On today's game Ashcroft should be the No 1 pick by a fair margin, he was playing with the opposition. It was no surprise that Marshall the other Brisbane NGA also had a very good game .

Langford was my choice when we looked like we had pick # 4 or 5, but I dont think he gets through to us now. I think the only way we get two highly rated mids is if Armstrong and Trainor are taken early which is less likely. Even Reid's stocks keep rising and is a good chance to be taken before our pick also. We really didnt do ourselves any favours (draft wise) winning those late games, but hopefully Dalrymple can make the most of it.

Its difficult to predict what will happen to the picks following the trade period, but unless clubs end up with multiple early picks I cant see anyone taking anything other than midfielders before our pick.
Long long way to go. There will be a couple that will jump out of the ground for Armstrong.

No it's not.
West Coast are not involving pick 3 for an out of contract Baker.
Gold Coast probably will give up Pick 6 for Rioli, but they shouldn't.

Yes it is.

It’s been reported West Coast are likely to trade 3 for Baker and a mid first rounder (possibly 9 or 10 that is part of Bolton trade).

Gold Coast will trade 6 for Rioli.

1, 3 and 6 (I thought they had 5).

Poll position for Langford.

Yes it is.

It’s been reported West Coast are likely to trade 3 for Baker and a mid first rounder (possibly 9 or 10 that is part of Bolton trade).

Gold Coast will trade 6 for Rioli.

1, 3 and 6 (I thought they had 5).

Poll position for Langford.
Bakers good...he's not pick 3 good...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

No it's not.
West Coast are not involving pick 3 for an out of contract Baker.
Gold Coast probably will give up Pick 6 for Rioli, but they shouldn't.
If Richmond demand a high pick, I wonder if we could get involved with a F1. Suns should be holding firm on pick 6 given it is perfectly placed to be inside a Lombard bid. They may well try to do the same next year and be happier to move their late firsts away from a being zapped in the Lombard bid. Richmond pushing a pick into next year given they will have a number through Bolton and Baker. Unlikely! But you never know.

Would you do a F1 for 13 and 21? Too risky? Or this draft is too good to ignore? It would mean spreading picks - 7 and 8 would remain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bakers good...he's not pick 3 good...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The argument though would be that they instead would trade 3 for, say, 9 and 17 (or whatever concoction that fits). They may want to do that to bring in multiples, but potentially also specific targets they have in mind. Could be WA kids or could be something else. So instead of 9 and 17 they bring in 9 and Baker.

I wouldn’t do it, but - same with Rioli - just because we think it’s well overs doesn’t mean those clubs won’t do it to simply get their targets in the door.

The argument though would be that they instead would trade 3 for, say, 9 and 17 (or whatever concoction that fits). They may want to do that to bring in multiples, but potentially also specific targets they have in mind. Could be WA kids or could be something else. So instead of 9 and 17 they bring in 9 and Baker.

I wouldn’t do it, but - same with Rioli - just because we think it’s well overs doesn’t mean those clubs won’t do it to simply getting their targets in he door.

Correct.

I think it's a case were both know the other wants what you've got. I think 10 alone should be enough but the allure of 2 picks will keep Richmond away from p6.
GC would have p6 and Lombard, plus some later picks, so unlikely to haggle too hard.
I don’t think they have 10. They have 12 (13 if Battle is B1). And they have one of North’s handouts end of first.

Separately, I know North would have wanted to use those 3 extra picks in case the AFL took away the F1s. But gee, they’d be in a sweet spot if they had two extra picks at 18-20ish in this draft.

I'd 100% do that.
Me too. Richmond could have the luck of the draw on where we finish. But as others have said, they’d probably rather go bang this year with 5 or so first rounders.

They look likely to get Dyson Sharp next year, who looks off the charts good. So hopefully they can leave big mids for us 😂

I think it's a case were both know the other wants what you've got. I think 10 alone should be enough but the allure of 2 picks will keep Richmond away from p6.
GC would have p6 and Lombard, plus some later picks, so unlikely to haggle too hard.

Rioli is contracted. Tigers hold the power. Rioli has stuck his neck out and publicly requested a trade to Gold Coast.

Gold Coast won’t want to let him down. Not many top quality players have nominated them as their preferred club (yet).

If Tigers are intransigent then the Suns will deal. If they don’t deal, while having the currency to do so, then it will send a bad sign to the competition that they are unreliable.

If Richmond plays hard ball then the Suns will fold. As irrational as it sounds. In such a scenario I suspect Tigers will flick them an early second rounder back.

Rioli is contracted. Tigers hold the power. Rioli has stuck his neck out and publicly requested a trade to Gold Coast.

Gold Coast won’t want to let him down. Not many top quality players have nominated them as their preferred club (yet).

If Tigers are intransigent then the Suns will deal. If they don’t deal, while having the currency to do so, then it will send a bad sign to the competition that they are unreliable.

If Richmond plays hard ball then the Suns will fold. As irrational as it sounds. In such a scenario I suspect Tigers will flick them an early second rounder back.
Agree. Perhaps apart from the early first coming back. Maybe a third. This is the club that gave away pick 7 ALONG with a guy that is top 22 for a top 4 team and gave pick 2 for Weller. Weller was a very similar scenario.

Rioli wants to get there Richmond know that they will ask for #6 and settle on #12. GCS will hang onto pick #6 IMO.
If I was Gold Coast, I'd flog off 6 and one of their teens pick for 2 and chump change with North. Get right inside the Lombard pick and get a pick so high that there is no possible way it is entertained for Rioli. Then Richmond can have the other teens pick or a future first for him.

Start getting ruthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back