2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on your favourite drink, Reid with another excellent game and 4 goals for Armstrong. Trainor only 6 touches - I thought I saw him in the 3rd qtr, so not sure if he was injured after that.
I wonder if Lachie Voss meets the Zebra rookie rules as he looks our best bet
Whatever happened to Jackson Voss?

If I was Gold Coast, I'd flog off 6 and one of their teens pick for 2 and chump change with North. Get right inside the Lombard pick and get a pick so high that there is no possible way it is entertained for Rioli. Then Richmond can have the other teens pick or a future first for him.

Start getting ruthless.
Pick 7&8 to Gold Coast for picks

6, 12 & 20

Get best mid at 6 and Taj Hotton at 12
And another player at 20

Gc have a pick for Rioli and Lombard
They absolutely do not need pick 20

Hotton is a gun

Last edited:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Taj hasn’t been a target for as all along

he may have been a top 5 pick based on this form and talent

Sandi boy
Brother at the club
The saints know what he is capable of

IMG_9383.jpeg

I wouldn’t be surprised if Taj hasn’t been a target for as all along

he may have been a top 5 pick based on this form and talent

Sandi boy
Brother at the club
The saints know what he is capable of

View attachment 2105443
His brother is close to being delisted. I dont know how well that would go.

Id prefer keeping his brother regardless of if we are aiming to draft Taj but you would think we would have re-signed in the last batch if we were that keen

Pick 7&8 to Gold Coast for picks

6, 12 & 20

Get best mid at 6 and Taj Hotton at 12
And another player at 20

Gc have a pick for Rioli and Lombard
They absolutely do not need pick 20

Hotton is a gun
Something about trading up but only to 5 or 6 just makes me feel ill considering the position we were in with 30 seconds to go in our season.

Only way I'd want to trade up is to get into the top 3 or 4, even then the cost is probably not worth it.

Hotton could be great, but theres not a huge body of work there. Peckett kicked 5 from 25 touches one game, imagine if that was his only game this year. Drafting him for a shot at someone at 20 feels risky when we need a grade more than bulk.

7 & 8 is a good enough spot, it's not worth dropping out of when you see the names in the top 8 or so that might fall to us.

Something about trading up but only to 5 or 6 just makes me feel ill considering the position we were in with 30 seconds to go in our season.

Only way I'd want to trade up is to get into the top 3 or 4, even then the cost is probably not worth it.

Hotton could be great, but theres not a huge body of work there. Peckett kicked 5 from 25 touches one game, imagine if that was his only game this year. Drafting him for a shot at someone at 20 feels risky when we need a grade more than bulk.

7 & 8 is a good enough spot, it's not worth dropping out of when you see the names in the top 8 or so that might fall to us.
Nah bugger that, I'd do the trade in a heartbeat. Suns wouldn't entertain it, would want something back.

Nah bugger that, I'd do the trade in a heartbeat. Suns wouldn't entertain it, would want something back.
Yep, even just 8 for 12 & 20 would be a great trade IMO, especially if we are considering reaching for Travaglia/Lindsay with that pick. I doubt any club is doing that trade before draft night, but might get itchy when we're on the clock.

Would people feel comfortable skipping on a Cole / Peckett / Hoffman if it meant getting Ough?

Think he is a great option late, and has the physique we are looking for in our wings (height, marking).
I'd feel comfortable skipping any and all of them if we think there are better players available. Although after Chad Warner's final quarter yesterday Peckett must be in the pick 1 conversation.

With the quality that appears to be on the move this trade period there should be ample opportunities for clubs to swap picks. I’m hoping we’re talking to other clubs in this space with the intention of getting another early ish pick.

With the quality that appears to be on the move this trade period there should be ample opportunities for clubs to swap picks. I’m hoping we’re talking to other clubs in this space with the intention of getting another early ish pick.
The question really is why any team would be happy to move up or out of this draft. I think most clubs will want to keep their presence in the first or second round, not reduce it.

The question really is why any team would be happy to move up or out of this draft. I think most clubs will want to keep their presence in the first or second round, not reduce it.
They might have to if they've committed to trading a player in. Those that are closer to winning a flag might risk it in order to get the chocolates now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This leads in to the question of what is the most important factor in the FA compensation algorithm? A) The offer by the club losing the player or B) the offer by the club acquiring the player? Surely it's A
I don't think the offer we made is considered at all, that wouldn't make sense.
A) If a player wants to leave a long way in advance (eg. Bailey Smith) the club they're leaving may not even make an offer or put much thought into it because why would they?
B) It would be way too easy to cheat the system and say 'Oh we offered him 1 million but he took a lesser offer' and have Battle back up our story. Least he could do considering he's ditching us

Agree on Hotton. I had the same thought re Peckett and forecasting that out as just what they do. I see a HFF, which is fine, I’m just not going chips in on a month of work.

Yep, even just 8 for 12 & 20 would be a great trade IMO, especially if we are considering reaching for Travaglia/Lindsay with that pick. I doubt any club is doing that trade before draft night, but might get itchy when we're on the clock.

I'd feel comfortable skipping any and all of them if we think there are better players available. Although after Chad Warner's final quarter yesterday Peckett must be in the pick 1 conversation.
Agree. Peckett looks like he has easily the most translatable game. But I’d hate to be wedded to them.

Would people feel comfortable skipping on a Cole / Peckett / Hoffman if it meant getting Ough?

Think he is a great option late, and has the physique we are looking for in our wings (height, marking).
I think Ough will be a 20s pick, his late birthday and recent form makes me think he with be a bit of a bolter (between 20 & 30).

Peckett may well be taken with a late second given his form as well, Cole and Hoffman look like they've dropped off a bit. With any luck we can get all three cheap but if a better player is on the board we should be taking that better player.

I think Ough will be a 20s pick, his late birthday and recent form makes me think he with be a bit of a bolter (between 20 & 30).

Peckett may well be taken with a late second given his form as well, Cole and Hoffman look like they've dropped off a bit. With any luck we can get all three cheap but if a better player is on the board we should be taking that better player.
And hopefully we get the typical academy / FS bid slide.

Just on Ough, averaging just under 30 touches and 5ish tackles a game over past 6 weeks. I previously mentioned his late birthday, but hard to ignore.

If we do it right , our recruiters will be sitting down rating the players they want in order 1 to 70 or something.
Obviously there will be some that are conditional ( needs ) , like if the ruck you want with your third pick is there , you might not take the ruck in the rookie draft.

The F/S and NGA should be included in that system, and if we think other teams have bid early, we should let them go.
I reckon we would have taken Biggy Nyuon if he'd gone to the rookie draft.

Just on Ough, averaging just under 30 touches and 5ish tackles a game over past 6 weeks. I previously mentioned his late birthday, but hard to ignore.

The only downside with Ough is he has a high handball to kick ratio, he needs to learn to drive out of stoppages and use his legs. Otherwise he has come along well.

Another I have been impressed with who didnt get a lot of midfield mintues yesterday is Nathaniel Sulzberger. He is 187cm tall mid/HFF averaging 21 disposals and a goal a game since returning from school footy. He has that stoppage break away speed we have been craving I think he will make a very good player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back