Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie looking like he's going to have a huge year, in great condition. Keen to see how we use Elijah too and if he can match it up against our midfield boys.

Hoping we hear of Moir and Fantasia training the house down after Christmas. Both would be huge additions to our forward mix.
I’ve never said this about any of our recent draftees, so I’m not usually one to jump the gun but Moir just has something about him. He looks so clean, composed and crafty. I see him as a Bayley Fritsch type.

If he becomes anything near Fritta then we’ve done so well.

Ollie looking like he's going to have a huge year, in great condition. Keen to see how we use Elijah too and if he can match it up against our midfield boys.

Hoping we hear of Moir and Fantasia training the house down after Christmas. Both would be huge additions to our forward mix.
For whatever reason, I'm getting Adam Cerra vibes about Elijah.

GCS totally mismanaged his development imo....I can honestly see him taking his game to a whole new level now that he's in the professional environment of a powerhouse club. Reckon he'll love the big stage too...

I’ve never said this about any of our recent draftees, so I’m not usually one to jump the gun but Moir just has something about him. He looks so clean, composed and crafty. I see him as a Bayley Fritsch type.

If he becomes anything near Fritta then we’ve done so well.
I watched him a fair bit this year so am more pessimistic on him I guess, if he comes good he's an incredible fit for the list. If we're hearing good things about Moir it bodes very well for us in 24.

For whatever reason, I'm getting Adam Cerra vibes about Elijah.

GCS totally mismanaged his development imo....I can honestly see him taking his game to a whole new level now that he's in the professional environment of a powerhouse club. Reckon he'll love the big stage too...
Moir strikes me as the type that only needs to touch it 8 times to impact, kick a couple, set up a couple of others, reckon his challenge is to bring the defensive efforts inbetween

Moir strikes me as the type that only needs to touch it 8 times to impact, kick a couple, set up a couple of others, reckon his challenge is to bring the defensive efforts inbetween
Moir is an interesting one for mine.

We know he has immense talent, but his drop off in form for whatever reason in 2023 potentially places him in the 'high risk, high reward' category by selecting him in the 1st round. Having said that, he was selected at pick 29, which technically is a mid 2nd round pick once you take out academy kids, F/S's etc. So you could also argue as a 2nd round pick, he's more 'medium risk, high reward'.

Compare that to Lemmey who was touted as a potential pick 1 the year before the draft before his form dropped away - so picking him up at pick 47 was definitely 'low risk, high reward'. Same with the Elijah trade where we basically gave up peanuts to acquire him because of his misdemeanors, so also becomes 'low risk, high reward' - similar to the Billings trade to Melbourne, except Elijah is much younger and has far more upside.

There was zero risk with Billy at pick 35. His form during the year - particularly the 2nd half - warranted being selected where he was, amongst a whole bunch of young hopefuls still being available at that selection. We know what we're gonna get from Billy.

I agree though, Moir could be anything. One thing we do know is that when he has the ball in his hands anywhere within the 50m arc, he's a dangerous unit, similar to a Fritsch.

Either way, we also know WCE already had the welcome mat out for Ashton before we peed on their parade :)

1701911476402.png

We know he has immense talent, but his drop off in form for whatever reason in 2023 potentially places him in the 'high risk, high reward' category by selecting him in the 1st round. Having said that, he was selected at pick 29, which technically is a mid 2nd round pick once you take out academy kids, F/S's etc. So you could also argue as a 2nd round pick, he's more 'medium risk, high reward'.

Compare that to Lemmey who was touted as a potential pick 1 the year before the draft before his form dropped away - so picking him up at pick 47 was definitely 'low risk, high reward'. Same with the Elijah trade where we basically gave up peanuts to acquire him because of his misdemeanors, so also becomes 'low risk, high reward' - similar to the Billings trade to Melbourne, except Elijah is much younger and has far more upside.

There was zero risk with Billy at pick 35. His form during the year - particularly the 2nd half - warranted being selected where he was, amongst a whole bunch of young hopefuls still being available at that selection. We know what we're gonna get from Billy.

I agree though, Moir could be anything. One thing we do know is that when he has the ball in his hands anywhere within the 50m arc, he's a dangerous unit, similar to a Fritsch.

Either way, we also know WCE already had the welcome mat out for Ashton before we peed on their parade :)

View attachment 1867410
Love the post, but not loving the constant Fritsch comparisons.

If Ashton realises his potential he will make the Melbourne goal kicker look like a park hack. I am still wary of his 2023 decline, but if he focuses enough to command games, it will become a thing of beauty. Let’s hope the hip complaint and the resultant “bit of distraction” were just a temporary glitch as opposed to something chronic.

If Ashton realises his potential he will make the Melbourne goal kicker look like a park hack. I am still wary of his 2023 decline, but if he focuses enough to command games, it will become a thing of beauty. Let’s hope the hip complaint and the resultant “bit of distraction” were just a temporary glitch as opposed to something chronic.

Re the hip - it looked to me in his highlight package he was visibly hampered by his hip - took a mark in one shot and sort of 'winced'.

Re the hip - it looked to me in his highlight package he was visibly hampered by his hip - took a mark in one shot and sort of 'winced'.

Those nagging injuries can often be harder to deal with then more serious ones. With a serious injury you can't play and just rehab.

With his hip injury he could still play but would have been 2nd guessing every move he was making on the field. Wondering if and how his body would hold up each time he got the ball or approached a contest. That kills your natural instincts and ability to just play even if its only impacting you by 10 or 15%.

As a kid he would have just been used to going out and just playing so would have been very new for him. Add to that the pressure of being highly touted and knowing you aren't living up to expectations but your injury isn't obvious enough for anyone to give you a pass. Could really mess with your head, particularly at that age.

View attachment 1867410
At pick #29, "which technically is a mid 2nd round pick", we decided to take some risks with Moir.
The risks is that his 2023 form is all about his hip injury - and that his true form was that of 2022.

Unfortunately, our club knows a lot about injuries, so if he was ticked off (as per Fantasia) - then I'm backing Moir to be the one that got away from all those teams who had their chances, but didn't take the risk :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training gallery 6th December ...

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

What’s going on with marchbank face
Leaner, lighting, image processing, and post-processing/editing work... compression can be a factor too.

He's dropping his weight to be more mobile though, will do wonders for his knee.

I’m loving our midfield mix

Ollie & Elijah are looking like genuine mid options

Cripps Hewett Kennedy Cerra Walsh Carroll Wilson Docherty all looking to get spots as well

Williams looks awesome to me but will play HB

Nothing like depth and competition for spots to improve a side 😎
I'm happy with the overall list. We have a premiership team there!

It has been a long time since the coaches have a team that they know can compete deep in the finals.

It's now up to the coaches to do their part and come up with layers in our game plans.
We've got to have multiple game plans - as we got the personnel to deal with different scenario, both in games and at the selection table e.g. when to play both TDK and Pitto, and when to have one less ruck to have more mobility in the team

Last edited:

It has been a long time since the coaches have a team that they know can compete deep in the finals.

It's now up to the coaches to do their part and come up with layers in our game plans.
We've got to have multiple game plans - as we got the personnel to deal with different scenario, both in games and at the selection table e.g. when to play both TDK and Pitto, and when to have one less ruck to have more mobility in the team

100%

Read an interesting interview with Dayne Zorko on SEN (The tricks Collingwood used in Grand Final that Brisbane weren’t expecting). Basically said that Collingwood did some things in the grand final that the Lions didn't see coming.

Would love to see us with a few of those tricks in the bag, and this would be the preseason to start to play with those possibilities. It is easy to forgot that the first preseason with this coaching group was like trying to grow a farm on scorched earth. There was so much ground work that needed to be done before there could be progress. That work seemed to come to fruition in the last six months, and so now there's the chance to really put the finishing touches on.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Read an interesting interview with Dayne Zorko on SEN (The tricks Collingwood used in Grand Final that Brisbane weren’t expecting). Basically said that Collingwood did some things in the grand final that the Lions didn't see coming.

Would love to see us with a few of those tricks in the bag, and this would be the preseason to start to play with those possibilities. It is easy to forgot that the first preseason with this coaching group was like trying to grow a farm on scorched earth. There was so much ground work that needed to be done before there could be progress. That work seemed to come to fruition in the last six months, and so now there's the chance to really put the finishing touches on.

Interesting. My only ever concern with Voss is his real tactical nouse. He has worked hard on fixing deficiencies and making up tougher and more of a team. Standards are so much better.

The question is do we have a plan B or C etc?

I don't know the answer but I hope he has. Could be the difference

Last edited:

Fritsch is an absolute gun.. kicked 6 goals in a premiership side and a proven goal kicker.. many worse players to be compared to

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back