Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn, I was thinking of going tomorrow
Yeah, I wasn't sure myself. I had a thought last night -- 6 day break with them flying out on thurs, I wondered what if they did decide to do the main session today. But I didn't know for sure until I got there.

Yeah, I wasn't sure myself. I had a thought last night -- 6 day break with them flying out on thurs, I wondered what if they did decide to do the main session today. But I didn't know for sure until I got there.

Any hints at training about potential line-up changes for Friday night?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any hints at training about potential line-up changes for Friday night?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not really tbh
Looks like Frampton will play again.
and Lippa comes into the 22
but other than that. No clues at all, and Fly didn't give much in his presser.

Not really tbh
Looks like Frampton will play again.
and Lippa comes into the 22
but other than that. No clues at all, and Fly didn't give much in his presser.
I doubt there will be much change.

Lippa into the 22 for JDG. Long or Sullivan? Who as sub? That's about it I would have thought.

I doubt there will be much change.

Lippa into the 22 for JDG. Long or Sullivan? Who as sub? That's about it I would have thought.
Yeah. Fly said Sullivan would be in the conversation as he can provide that mid-forward role. So If anything that could be the only change. Maybe One of Long/HH or Richards sub?

Yeah. Fly said Sullivan would be in the conversation as he can provide that mid-forward role. So If anything that could be the only change. Maybe One of Long/HH or Richards sub?
Such a pity there wasn't a VFL game last week to get some form into Joe, Harvey etc. Richards hasn't played since the ordinary Hawks game.

That's how they structured last week's 6 day break isn't it? Maybe they liked it as a point of difference.
Yeah, I assumed it was done that way last week because of Pendles 400th. Plus the AFLW were scheduled to train on the thurs.

But generally even on 5, 6 day breaks, main sessions havent generally changed. Last week was the first time for as long as I can recall, it was 3 days before the game

Such a pity there wasn't a VFL game last week to get some form into Joe, Harvey etc. Richards hasn't played since the ordinary Hawks game.
Yeah, very stupid scheduling for a bye, 3 weeks out for the end of the season

Training - Main session, Round 22.

I didn't know whether there was gonna be training, but decided to get up and go down to check. To see whether the 6 day break would change the scheduling, turns out, I was right.

MIA:

Begg
Jordy
Checkers
Mitchell

All injured so no expectations to see them.

Rehab:

Steene
Smit

Both doing running sessions. Smit looks to be travelling well, coming from his concussion protocols. Shame he won't be available to play this week.
Steene was getting work done in between his running sessions. So its a bit of slow progress for him, as he builds up the strength in his foot area.

Maynard came over to the rehab group half way through the session, did some running then went inside. I imagine just a bit of management.
Coxy also didn't do the match play stuff, just the drills. Went inside. Management too I imagine, given the 6 day break.

They split off into line groups and did some 1 v 1 fight simulations between the talls.
The rucks did some stuff in the middle. This was just more DC and Cox.
Mids did some ball movement and stoppage crafts.

Match sim - There was no obvious signs of what they'll do. But from evidence, Frampton will keep his spot.

*Maynard, Cox didn't participate

Black:

• Lippa
  • IQ
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Mcstay
  • DC
  • Frampton
  • Sidey
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Howe

White:

• DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Macrae
  • TJ
  • Ryan
  • Reef
  • Bytel
  • Richards
  • Sullivan
  • Eyre
  • HH
  • Markov
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Long
  • Parker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of the match ups:

Black forwards: Mcstay. WHE. Hill. Jamie. Schultz. Beau v White defenders: Dean. Reef. Eyre. Parker. TJ. Markov
Black Defenders: JDaicos. Noble. IQ. Frampton. Moore. Howe v White Forwards: HH. Harry ( :O) Richards. Johnson. Kreuger

Midfield: Back - Nick. Lippa. Crisp ( Pendles, Sidey wings) DC ruck v White: Long. Allan. Fin (Sullivan. Bytel wings) Kreuger ruck

Quaynor has been horrible recently, hate to be so negative but he isnt giving us any run, has a habit of standing in packs with bigs and not guarding in front or behind where the dangerous smalls lurk, always out of position. maybe he is just trying to lock down under coaches messeges but its not great right now. Noble wasn't much better tbh

Ned long matched on cripps looked like a schoolboy playing senior footy for the first time, had 0 idea what he was doing and we would have lost most of center clearances he attended. Did a couple of okay things ball in hand but looked like he was out of his depth for most of the night.

Our kicking to our forwards has been average, so many intercept marks against, not sure they are battling to bring it to ground as much as they should. Having cox down there helped though, wonder if freddy comes back in to chop mcstay out a little.

Now we are losing guys like JDG and titch for the rest of the year the young fellas need to step up, perfect opportunity for them in the next 3 weeks

Quaynor has been horrible recently, hate to be so negative but he isnt giving us any run, has a habit of standing in packs with bigs and not guarding in front or behind where the dangerous smalls lurk, always out of position. maybe he is just trying to lock down under coaches messeges but its not great right now. Noble wasn't much better tbh

Ned long matched on cripps looked like a schoolboy playing senior footy for the first time, had 0 idea what he was doing and we would have lost most of center clearances he attended. Did a couple of okay things ball in hand but looked like he was out of his depth for most of the night.

Our kicking to our forwards has been average, so many intercept marks against, not sure they are battling to bring it to ground as much as they should. Having cox down there helped though, wonder if freddy comes back in to chop mcstay out a little.

Now we are losing guys like JDG and titch for the rest of the year the young fellas need to step up, perfect opportunity for them in the next 3 weeks
For someone who hates to be negative, you’re very good at it.

agree with some of Q comments ..have written elsewhere about his performances this year.

Long comments not so much ..

Long broke even (1v1 re his direct opponent) at CB & clearance all game apart from last 18 mins. Long only played 59% of game-time.

For the record, we won CB clearance (12 v 11) but lost stoppage (23 v 31) across the night, with Carlton's +stoppage differential coming in last 18 mins Q4 and also early Q1.

In that last Q dominance, Cripps beat all of Long, Crisp and Pendles at CB and stoppage.

Long conceded 2 free kicks against Cripps in Q4, both for holding. One from CB and one from the wing, both v.harsh IMV, since both players were grabbing/ scragging & jostling for position.

With the 2nd one, Cripps in fact initiates, grabs Long's jumper & pulls him off balance, yet still winds up with the free.

A few minutes later he does the same to Crisp who manages to hold his ground ..'play on' called

Umpires umpire differently for name players in the comp vs newbies

Long did ok defensively against the bigger bodied mids of Carlton but offered nothing offensively. Still only 10 games into his career but he does look very limited. Don't have a real handle on his ceiling as yet but he could develop into a role player to absorb some of the heat & physicality at stoppage and help shield Nick (for example) from the obvious buffeting he'll continue to receive.

Swans' mids a different proposition this week. I'd stick with Long to play a similar role but wouldn't (for example) let Lipinski anywhere near CB. All of Pendles, Long & Lipinski at CB would make us ponderous.

Last edited:

Simple fact - we won (don't care how close). Before the game Blose were 3rd, we were 12th? After we kicked the 1st goal we were never headed - in front for 95% 90%? of the game
efa
Screenshot_20240807-005255~2.png

Last edited:
Swans' mids a different proposition this week. I'd stick with Long to play a similar role but wouldn't (for example) let Lipinski anywhere near CB. All of Pendles, Long & Lipinski at CB would make us ponderous.

Pace and sticking tackles is going to matter against them. McCreery is the best bet, but not sure if we will be willing to lose his ability to stop transition in his defensive forward role.

We have to recognize that McCreery is too fumbly to be a first line midfielder. He has many excellent characteristics, but taking clean possession when in tight is just not one of them. A real midfielder, like Lachie Neale, never fumbles. McCreery is an outstanding pressure forward. Play him there. He is a passable midfielder, who only gets and extracts the ball about half the time when it comes to him in a pack.

We have to recognize that McCreery is too fumbly to be a first line midfielder. He has many excellent characteristics, but taking clean possession when in tight is just not one of them. A real midfielder, like Lachie Neale, never fumbles. McCreery is an outstanding pressure forward. Play him there. He is a passable midfielder, who only gets and extracts the ball about half the time when it comes to him in a pack.

Yes he fumbles a lot. I get the impression though that it's not his hands as much as a mindset of scanning to look for options or exits before he's got it under control. I'm hoping his ball handling comes good.

Last edited:
Beau offers grunt and speed - which are the primary considerations in covering our mid deficiencies.
He won’t be fumbling HB receives out of stoppage as he bursts through packs.
Agree his ground ball game is not at Neales’ level.

hands aren't the cleanest for sure but everything that make him an elite pressure forward - super quick, explosive, strong /physical, aggressive tackler - would translate to make him an excellent defensive CBA player (in short bursts).

with the 6-6-6, clean CB exit can quickly lead to scoring momentum, something we've been on the receiving end of this year eg. Q4 on the weekend. if you're trying to defend a lead or stop the oppo's momentum, breaking even in CB is critical ..McCreery with his skill-set can be a point of difference (defensively) for us in there ie. clean hands aren't necessarily a massive negative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back