Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

agree with some of Q comments ..have written elsewhere about his performances this year.

Long comments not so much ..

Long broke even (1v1 re his direct opponent) at CB & clearance all game apart from last 18 mins. Long only played 59% of game-time.

For the record, we won CB clearance (12 v 11) but lost stoppage (23 v 31) across the night, with Carlton's +stoppage differential coming in last 18 mins Q4 and also early Q1.

In that last Q dominance, Cripps beat all of Long, Crisp and Pendles at CB and stoppage.

Long conceded 2 free kicks against Cripps in Q4, both for holding. One from CB and one from the wing, both v.harsh IMV, since both players were grabbing/ scragging & jostling for position.

With the 2nd one, Cripps in fact initiates, grabs Long's jumper & pulls him off balance, yet still winds up with the free.

A few minutes later he does the same to Crisp who manages to hold his ground ..'play on' called

Umpires umpire differently for name players in the comp vs newbies

Long did ok defensively against the bigger bodied mids of Carlton but offered nothing offensively. Still only 10 games into his career but he does look very limited. Don't have a real handle on his ceiling as yet but he could develop into a role player to absorb some of the heat & physicality at stoppage and help shield Nick (for example) from the obvious buffeting he'll continue to receive.

Swans' mids a different proposition this week. I'd stick with Long to play a similar role but wouldn't (for example) let Lipinski anywhere near CB. All of Pendles, Long & Lipinski at CB would make us ponderous.
Long seems to get the kid gloves treatment from the coach down to the Big Footy forum. He has had five successive games (I think it's five) and I have waited to see the qualities he possesses which others seem to see in him. I still don't get it. He is very limited and slow. If he was a bull in close with good quick hands I'd get it but he doesn't get his hands on it much and when he does he is usually under extreme heat due to his lack of speed and invariably handpasses or kicks under pressure.

When he goes forward, I feel like we are a player down. He cannot apply pressure on the speedy defenders as they take off and he hasn't crumbed anything or taken a contested mark. I understand we have injuries in the midfield department but I'm sure Reef would be a little bemused by the extended run of Long given the small returns each week.

Long seems to get the kid gloves treatment from the coach down to the Big Footy forum. He has had five successive games (I think it's five) and I have waited to see the qualities he possesses which others seem to see in him. I still don't get it. He is very limited and slow. If he was a bull in close with good quick hands I'd get it but he doesn't get his hands on it much and when he does he is usually under extreme heat due to his lack of speed and invariably handpasses or kicks under pressure.

When he goes forward, I feel like we are a player down. He cannot apply pressure on the speedy defenders as they take off and he hasn't crumbed anything or taken a contested mark. I understand we have injuries in the midfield department but I'm sure Reef would be a little bemused by the extended run of Long given the small returns each week.

i was disputing the comment that we "lost most centre clearances" he attended and "looked like a schoolboy".

I did say "Long did ok defensively against the bigger bodied mids of Carlton but offered nothing offensively. Still only 10 games into his career but he does look very limited. Don't have a real handle on his ceiling as yet but he could develop into a role player .."

don't disagree with the thrust of your point ..Reef could have (possibly) equalled Long's output as an on-baller if the coaches had any confidence in his running /aerobic capacity ..clearly they don't, so it's on him to get better over the summer.

ps: if they don't offer Reef an extension i think it'd be a super dumb decision given his age (21 yo and under-ager when recruited), physical profile, proven (relatively small sample) ability to play at the next level. if the only major knock on him is running capacity then this is something that he can & will improve ..how long did it take JDG before he could run out a game as an on-baller

Last edited:

agree with some of Q comments ..have written elsewhere about his performances this year.

Long comments not so much ..

Long broke even (1v1 re his direct opponent) at CB & clearance all game apart from last 18 mins. Long only played 59% of game-time.

For the record, we won CB clearance (12 v 11) but lost stoppage (23 v 31) across the night, with Carlton's +stoppage differential coming in last 18 mins Q4 and also early Q1.

In that last Q dominance, Cripps beat all of Long, Crisp and Pendles at CB and stoppage.

Long conceded 2 free kicks against Cripps in Q4, both for holding. One from CB and one from the wing, both v.harsh IMV, since both players were grabbing/ scragging & jostling for position.

With the 2nd one, Cripps in fact initiates, grabs Long's jumper & pulls him off balance, yet still winds up with the free.

A few minutes later he does the same to Crisp who manages to hold his ground ..'play on' called

Umpires umpire differently for name players in the comp vs newbies

Long did ok defensively against the bigger bodied mids of Carlton but offered nothing offensively. Still only 10 games into his career but he does look very limited. Don't have a real handle on his ceiling as yet but he could develop into a role player to absorb some of the heat & physicality at stoppage and help shield Nick (for example) from the obvious buffeting he'll continue to receive.

Swans' mids a different proposition this week. I'd stick with Long to play a similar role but wouldn't (for example) let Lipinski anywhere near CB. All of Pendles, Long & Lipinski at CB would make us ponderous.
Agreed mate, thanks for some actual evidence as well, I was only going off pure vision, Also spot on the cripps frees were bullshit and he was allowed to just throw it away or drop it several times.

I like the glass half empty approach. Hope he finds some form!

A surprise appearance this morning

f9a1bf765def1b04b39e4984be51bd69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Training - Round 23 - Tuesday August 13th

Session 1 of the week.
Absentees:
  • Josh Daicos
  • Mitchell
  • De Goey
  • Beggy
  • Johnson
  • HH (obviously)

Rehab:

• Steene
  • Checkers (first running session)
  • Eyre - Did some mobility and running, looked to be doing alright. Should join full training on thurs, as long as he feels okay.

Smit joined full training, except toward the end where he had to do some running. But looks to be on track to return this weekend for the final VFL game of the season

Today's session was productive. Boys worked on some ball movement, pressure in tight with clean handballing. Also toward the end of the session did some goal kicking under pressure, where one by one (a select few) would have to kick for goal while the others would carry on to put them off.

It was good to see Mihocek outside since his injury and started his first running session, which will set him up for 2025.
Steene as well, seemed to be running well coming off that foot/toe issue that plauged him all year, which hopefully he has a better 2025, have a big pre-season.

After sustaining a corked hip -- or as Wade puts it, a hip pointer, Josh Eyre got moving this morning with some agility and running. Did some long range kick to kick with a trainer probably to make sure there is no soreness coming from his hip in those range of motions.

Training - Main session - Round 23.

Nobody in the rehab group (the injured didn't make an appearance)

Team A (Black)

• Lippa
  • Maynard
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Mcstay
  • DC
  • Frampton
  • Sidey
  • Hill
  • Bytel
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Howe

Team B (White)

• IQ
  • DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Macrae
  • TJ
  • Smit
  • Ryan
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Richards
  • Sullivan
  • Eyre
  • Markov
  • Dean
  • Long
  • Parker
  • Cox

• Looks like Smit and Eyre are fit to play in the VFL this weekend. They got through the session.
  • Reef's attacking off half back was impressive. Also spent some time in the middle at the end of the session conversing with the mids.
  • Fin alternated between forward and mid
  • Eyre played on Mcstay at FB

White defenders:
  • Eyre
  • Dean
  • Reef
  • Parker
  • TJ
  • Ryan

Black forwards
  • Mcstay
  • Schultz
  • WHE
  • Hill
  • Jamie
  • Beau

White forwards

• DeMattia
  • Macrae
  • Smit
  • Kreuger
  • Richards
  • Long

Black defenders:

• Noble
  • Maynard
  • Josh D
  • Frampton
  • Moore
  • Howe

Mids:

Black:
  • Sidey (in the middle - in an attempt to tag neale?)
  • Nick
  • Pendles
  • Lippa (wing)
  • Bytel (wing)
  • DC

White:

• Crisp
  • Sullivan
  • Allan
  • Markov (wing)
  • IQ (wing)
  • Cox

They did some other drills. Worked on their pressure in one they have done for years, where a player must step into the other players space to restrict movement, and the said player needs to get rid of the ball before being pressured.

Some fight work between talls at either side of the goals.
Line work
Marking drills toward the end of the session for the talls.

The boys in the white didn't see much of it up forward so was hard to say. But beau did what he normally does, just tackles the opposition in the middle.
Beau is amazing at tackling and good for setting up and kicking goals. Whether he's an inside bull with multiple tricks is his real challenge. Pre season, or early vfl in 2025 is what is needed to see .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping Beau would play mid this year and I'm disappointed he had such little time there. He is one player who could develop into a classy mid IMO. Reefe I'm not sure about but I'd like to see him thrown into the middle before the end of the year. If we can't make the finals, let's experiment a bit.

Training - Main session - Round 23.

Nobody in the rehab group (the injured didn't make an appearance)

Team A (Black)

• Lippa
  • Maynard
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Mcstay
  • DC
  • Frampton
  • Sidey
  • Hill
  • Bytel
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Howe

Team B (White)

• IQ
  • DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Macrae
  • TJ
  • Smit
  • Ryan
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Richards
  • Sullivan
  • Eyre
  • Markov
  • Dean
  • Long
  • Parker
  • Cox

• Looks like Smit and Eyre are fit to play in the VFL this weekend. They got through the session.
  • Reef's attacking off half back was impressive. Also spent some time in the middle at the end of the session conversing with the mids.
  • Fin alternated between forward and mid
  • Eyre played on Mcstay at FB

White defenders:
  • Eyre
  • Dean
  • Reef
  • Parker
  • TJ
  • Ryan

Black forwards
  • Mcstay
  • Schultz
  • WHE
  • Hill
  • Jamie
  • Beau

White forwards

• DeMattia
  • Macrae
  • Smit
  • Kreuger
  • Richards
  • Long

Black defenders:

• Noble
  • Maynard
  • Josh D
  • Frampton
  • Moore
  • Howe

Mids:

Black:
  • Sidey (in the middle - in an attempt to tag neale?)
  • Nick
  • Pendles
  • Lippa (wing)
  • Bytel (wing)
  • DC

White:

• Crisp
  • Sullivan
  • Allan
  • Markov (wing)
  • IQ (wing)
  • Cox

They did some other drills. Worked on their pressure in one they have done for years, where a player must step into the other players space to restrict movement, and the said player needs to get rid of the ball before being pressured.

Some fight work between talls at either side of the goals.
Line work
Marking drills toward the end of the session for the talls.

The Sidebottom handball at the 3:35 mark in the last video, sublime if he heard the voice

any chance Howe swings forward? he actually lined up there when named there vs Eagles earlier in season and has been named there again.. I think the Pies have enough down back to contain Hipwood/Daniher/Morris without really needing him down back too much..
I doubt he'll start there, but suspect that would be one of our comeback plans if things aren't going well.

hmmm I wish he would.. really test out Andrews who is suspect at decision making often.. I think they have enough down there to be honest with Frampton/Moore/Maynard.
I wouldn't mind either. As you're saying, Howe could stretch them. McStay won't do much offensively - he'll just be locked up by Andrews and hopefully can bring it to ground, so another marking option would be good

I doubt it's how we'll go though, as thier defence lacks pace - I think we'll set up for the smalls to do the damage - like in the granny.

hmmm I wish he would.. really test out Andrews who is suspect at decision making often.. I think they have enough down there to be honest with Frampton/Moore/Maynard.
If they want Maynard on Cameron Howe might be required on Morris , unless Hipwood plays defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back