2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would hope any plans of this sort involve getting some time into Hipwood in the ruck, although maybe the 5th bench spot opening up for a ruckman would change the meta for the better and allow us to play a fast, hybrid forward line.

I assume we’ll be looking to add a genuine power key forward to that mix in an upcoming trade/fa period.

No real replacement for Charlie on the list but he’s impossible to replicate imo.

How do you see him fitting in with our current crop of forwards?

Do you think a forward line of Hipwood, Morris and McLachlan is the right balance? That'd be my main concern.

I saw him as an ideal Charlie Cameron replacement. Charlie just signed an extension so Charlie's going to be around for a while.

It will be extremely difficult to get a game as a small forward in a congested line up of quality smalls. Levi will be on the list next year as well.

Anyone at the game bang on commentators door and say "Go Home your drunk"
Please enlighten me, what was wrong with my commentary? What specifically upset you?
I spent the previous 5 days in bed laid up with COVID .. getting up and going to the ground was the first time I left the living room in 5 days.. so I'm really intrigued to hear specifically what upset you

Not a regular VFL watcher.

Things that stand out whenever I do watch: atrocious skills (regular missed 15-20m kicks), horrendous commentating, awful camera work, and inept umpiring.
Please Warwick.. enlightened me, what specifically bothered you with my commentary? What specific details? I know this Brisbane Lions VFL team better than any supporter because no supporter cares about the player's QAFL background.. who went to watch Wyatt play QAFL last weekend when he won the Rising Star award? (I personally didn't, I was at Brighton Homes calling 3 Championship Games)

Any chance we can start up a petition to get this w*nker off the commentary.
SWMBO would do a better job ........... (I could put up with "Bl**dy Umpires" every time a free went against the Lions :) ................ I have for years^).

^ 47+ ............ and you only get 10 for mumurder
Thanks Crusha, can you please highlight exactly what upset you about the commentary today? We're you upset that I spent 2 minutes pumping up the tyres of Logan during a break in play and then the very next act, he committed a spoil, won possession and laced up a target under pressure inside 50 almost immediately that led to a goal.. or building up Wyatt and he instantly set up a goal from the wing?
I'm absolutely looking forward to your insight.

Please Warwick.. enlightened me, what specifically bothered you with my commentary? What specific details? I know this Brisbane Lions VFL team better than any supporter because no supporter cares about the player's QAFL background.. who went to watch Wyatt play QAFL last weekend when he won the Rising Star award? (I personally didn't, I was at Brighton Homes calling 3 Championship Games)
I wouldn't take criticism too seriously, a random person from big footy who couldn't do it any better

It would be a challenge doing vfl games with top up players and to be across all the players of every team and with limited resources

I wouldn't take criticism too seriously, a random person from big footy who couldn't do it any better

It would be a challenge doing vfl games with top up players and to be across all the players of every team and with limited resources
Haha thanks mate.. coming off the back of COVID.. the last time I got COVID my brain fog was so bad that I forgot my address and phone number, and my boss' name.

Being laid up all week, I was worried I'd forget all of the player's names, especially learning Sydney's the morning of.

And poor Ava on camera was in no better health than I was.

So given the cards we both had in our hands, I'm a tad defensive, even on BF which no one takes seriously..

Thanks so much though.. I appreciate it

Haha thanks mate.. coming off the back of COVID.. the last time I got COVID my brain fog was so bad that I forgot my address and phone number, and my boss' name.

Being laid up all week, I was worried I'd forget all of the player's names, especially learning Sydney's the morning of.

So given the cards we both had in our hands, I'm a tad defensive, even on BF which no one takes seriously..

What Are You Talking About Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

Fans today have it too easy anyway if they can spend time complaining about the quality of VFL commentary. I'm happy to be able to watch the games live (or as a replay) without having to make the treks myself or rely on extremely misleading stats and match reports as was the case for many years.

I'll even accept wonky camera work especially since I don't have to deal with pointless shots of coaches doing nothing or constant coverage of Nick Daicos picking his nose like in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the camerawork I can accept but on the first G A W N, Gawn I turn the volume down

I'm curious do people actually get excited watching VFL? For me it's just about development of our kids. At least up until finals. So all I want really is play by play without any shouting or carrying on
Ahh the good old G A W N.. I have a lot of mates around the country and some overseas who watch/listen to all my calls.. most who, like me.. don't follow Brisbane.. and quite a few who are very high up in the AFL.. that catch phrase is something they love and makes them feel good because it's for them.. it's more than a decade old .. I've used it while calling AFL and AFLW .. it's not everyone's cup of coffee, but it's a little something to recognise my greatest supporters and those who put a microphone in my hand when I was 18.

It comes with some actions too when I do it.. so it's funny when I walk into a room of AFL personnel and I get recognised by a few who stop what they're doing and scream out G A W N with the actions .. it's a nice little bond.

You didn't ask for it.. but I gave it to you anyway and it gets more non Lions supporters watching your team and they're enjoying it.

Personally, I've called every level of the game available to anyone and still, VFL is my favourite and by a long way.

You have guys trying to win their spots back, new draftees making their mark and then the top ups from local leagues trying to make a statement.. plus the Academy kids.. it is the complete set for an individual who loves football in its entirety.

Last year I called Will Graham kicking his first goal in the VFL, on debut and I was in the stands when he kicked his first AFL goal.. which was 10 metres away from the exact spot he kicked his first vfl goal as an Academy kid playing VFL 12 months earlier.

This year I called Riley Greene playing in the backline for the VFL one week and called him playing for Sherwood the week after (state game week) and that's something special we share.

If you're going to be the best caller you can be, you put as much effort into an Under 10s game as you do an AFL game.. each game is treated the same.

Yesterday, while calling solo, I had 3 screens up with 6 tabs open.. 4 with stats on the game itself, 1 with around the grounds, 1 with Academy notes.. and I have 3 different note pads that I write in for various stats and points while the game is on.

I predicted at least 20 acts of play on air in the game before they happened by spending a half second looking 80 metres down the ground identifying the players involved.

As for T.ID.. I've predicted call ups of all debutante this year with Shadeau Brain being my favourite. Reece Torrent was my next in line 6 weeks ago, he dropped off. Henry Smith becomes the 16th player in the VFL this year, alone where I called their last VFL game before their AFL debut. He was in my top 3 against Casey.

For all of the above, VFL to me is every bit as exciting as AFL and I get that comment often from someone who calls AFL and VFL each week in Melbourne

Fans today have it too easy anyway if they can spend time complaining about the quality of VFL commentary. I'm happy to be able to watch the games live (or as a replay) without having to make the treks myself or rely on extremely misleading stats and match reports as was the case for many years.

I'll even accept wonky camera work especially since I don't have to deal with pointless shots of coaches doing nothing or constant coverage of Nick Daicos picking his nose like in the AFL.
Getting content on VFL is extremely hard.. supporters are naturally bias, and so they should be because they invest their lives into their team, and it's great. I love how much Brisbane loves the VFL, they have the most passionate supporters in the country for this comp.. which is fantastic for a non afl state.. Queenslanders love the game in its purity, more than Victorians.. which is why I love the game more since moving here..

However.. supporters of any VFL team are extremely one eyed. Fortunately we have Rhodesy who loves the VFL more than anyone and he's able to produce content that reflects a balance of each game.. most weeks, his reviews are filled with notes from callers to provide a more accurate representation of each game that is otherwise very hard to get access too.

We've got an unofficial commentary coaching program here where most of our group have called VFL finals as a minimum in the past 18 months and our camera operators in the same period are on camera for the biggest sporting events in SEQ on commercial TV. If people want careers in sport, Brisbane's VFL team provides a platform to open those doors.

I didn't watch the game, but reading this thread, it sounds like Covid was still affecting your and Ava's performance. Can you blame people who didn't have that knowledge for being unimpressed?

Getting content on VFL is extremely hard.. supporters are naturally bias, and so they should be because they invest their lives into their team, and it's great. I love how much Brisbane loves the VFL, they have the most passionate supporters in the country for this comp.. which is fantastic for a non afl state.. Queenslanders love the game in its purity, more than Victorians.. which is why I love the game more since moving here..

However.. supporters of any VFL team are extremely one eyed. Fortunately we have Rhodesy who loves the VFL more than anyone and he's able to produce content that reflects a balance of each game.. most weeks, his reviews are filled with notes from callers to provide a more accurate representation of each game that is otherwise very hard to get access too.

We've got an unofficial commentary coaching program here where most of our group have called VFL finals as a minimum in the past 18 months and our camera operators in the same period are on camera for the biggest sporting events in SEQ on commercial TV. If people want careers in sport, Brisbane's VFL team provides a platform to open those doors.

I'd like you to take every feedback with graciousness and learn from it because we are speaking from an audience perspective. I like watching the VFL and a good commentary can enhance my experience. Yours takes away from the experience.

For a start you may like to remove the screeching into the microphone from your commentary. The earlier comment of "from a whisper to an ear bleeding screech in a second” is a reality. You may like to listen to your own commentary to get the context of the feedback you're getting.

The feigned excitement at an ordinary play when the team is 60 points up doesn't cut it either with audience who just want a play by play description of what is going on. Mostly we want to know who the players are in the context of the play.

Also your commentary often comes across as biased towards one team. It does not appear to be coming from a neutral commentary.

Anyhow you can take constructive criticism and use it to get better or you can double down and clam up and never get better. Up to you.

Edit: I start listening to you but can only get partially through the first quarter because of the above listed elements. I turn the volume off after that. It's not a good viewing because I like to know who the players are, but I sacrifice that just so my ears can get a rest.

Last edited:
So ChrisThaLedg, now that you've popped your head up and you seem to be open to some constructive criticism....

If you've looked at any of the threads on commentary on BF, you'll notice how disparate the opinions are on what style of commentary they prefer. Personally, I lean towards the humourless straight call whereas others have a preference towards the hyping, blokey, jokey style of a Brian Taylor. So I wouldn't get too caught up on that. Different strokes.

What irks me while watching any of the streams is the variance in volume, where you go from a normal calling volume to a level full of distortion on big plays. I fully appreciate the equipment you have to work with may not be the stuff the AFL callers have, but probably be aware most people are watching on their phone or laptop. So maybe keep that in mind that your audience may not be getting the best experience compared to what you're intending. What it usually results in, is me muting your commentary. I'm positive this isn't what you want

One of my biggest bugbears is with calling players names wrong. I get it happens, but the best callers get it right more often than not and when they don't they correct themselves instead of pretending they didn't make a mistake. Supporters of any team will appreciate the effort. You may do this anyway, so feel free to disregard if this is something you already do.

I didn't catch the stream yesterday, but well done to your team for fronting up when you may not be feeling the best.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me, what was wrong with my commentary? What specifically upset you?
I spent the previous 5 days in bed laid up with COVID .. getting up and going to the ground was the first time I left the living room in 5 days.. so I'm really intrigued to hear specifically what upset you
Hey Chris sorry to hear about the CoVID.

Genuine feedback, I find your two volume calling a bit irritating. Maybe the CoVID made it worse yesterday. Like others I watch the vfl to see the development of younger players. I seldom get excited, win or lose, except I suppose if we see a Logan Morris play like yesterday. Would prefer play by play rather than BT calling.

I really enjoy the vfl vision as other wise I wouldn’t know one non best 23 from another but the quality of the of the vision isn’t great. (No slight on Ava’s work yesterday which I thought was ok for a single operator). I cant pick up players on the opposite side of the ground and the left hand goal square that well. Calling players is helpful. Need to have the sound on. Get annoyed when you shift to shout mode.

Anyway get better soon, we’d have nothing to complain about if you weren’t calling😀

Thanks for your work, I wouldn't be able to do that gig! Big improvement from days of old where it was a rare thrill if a Lions reserves game was shown at all usually against the NT Thunder from memory. As an occasional reserves watcher the commentary helps a great deal to learn which ones are Darcy Craven or Taj Abberley etc.

Question to you Chris.

How many of you are there, managing g the cameras, sound and commentary?

I would suggest that commentators reading online forums about themselves is about as healthy for them as players doing it. There’s very few AFL commentators that are universally liked. Just because you’re not everyone’s cup of tea doesn’t mean you’re not doing ok.
i hope brian taylor and james brayshaw read every single thing ive ever wrote about them

Hey Chris sorry to hear about the CoVID.

Genuine feedback, I find your two volume calling a bit irritating. Maybe the CoVID made it worse yesterday. Like others I watch the vfl to see the development of younger players. I seldom get excited, win or lose, except I suppose if we see a Logan Morris play like yesterday. Would prefer play by play rather than BT calling.

I really enjoy the vfl vision as other wise I wouldn’t know one non best 23 from another but the quality of the of the vision isn’t great. (No slight on Ava’s work yesterday which I thought was ok for a single operator). I cant pick up players on the opposite side of the ground and the left hand goal square that well. Calling players is helpful. Need to have the sound on. Get annoyed when you shift to shout mode.

Anyway get better soon, we’d have nothing to complain about if you weren’t calling😀
Haha all good mate.. I actually need to thank you personally..

I was doing some voice samples with my wife and went to that 'screeching' level when getting excited about something.. and then went to a much more clean and crisp level when getting excited.. the 'screeching' uses far less energy because you open up your vocal cords less, and you use less oxygen.. but to get that sound that sounds better .. which I agree with.. you use more energy and oxygen. Yesterday went for 130 minutes and it's all about conserving energy. I tell callers that you need to aim to have 20% of energy for the final 5 minutes of the game.

It took 20 seconds to figure something out that I've been doing in the AFL space. So I'm now looking for a singing coach to learn how to open up the vocals more consistently.

As for the two tiered tone.. I get it.. the challenges of calling solo are great but as I've coached to the crew around me.. find a gear change to be play by play and be specials.. on my solo calls.. I'll be a PbP when I have to (higher and stronger tone) and when I'm giving a special comment (being specials) I'm lower.. and the sound can be confusing when you're essentially two different roles but the same voice as both roles operate differently.

I've called most games this year solo, but when I've co-called, I operate at a 1 constant volume.. I'm playing one role with the other callers being a circuit breaker for me and vice versa.

This thread is about the VFL team itself.. I am part of that team in Queensland if scheduling falls that way.

So thank you BF, in 20 seconds, you helped me solve a problem. When I'm calling more AFL, I'll know who to publicly thank.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back