2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Question to you Chris.

How many of you are there, managing g the cameras, sound and commentary?
There was 2 of us yesterday.. I only hear the FX mic personally through the cans.. I know with commercial systems, there is software in the mixer that balances out all channels. I've worked with them on many occasions as a caller and tech.. my sound and the issues around it isn't limited to Queensland.. it's universal across the competition. Considering the budgets and resources we have across the comp, it's incredibly awesome what we are able to produce and I'm blessed to be in that spot

So ChrisThaLedg, now that you've popped your head up and you seem to be open to some constructive criticism....

If you've looked at any of the threads on commentary on BF, you'll notice how disparate the opinions are on what style of commentary they prefer. Personally, I lean towards the humourless straight call whereas others have a preference towards the hyping, blokey, jokey style of a Brian Taylor. So I wouldn't get too caught up on that. Different strokes.

What irks me while watching any of the streams is the variance in volume, where you go from a normal calling volume to a level full of distortion on big plays. I fully appreciate the equipment you have to work with may not be the stuff the AFL callers have, but probably be aware most people are watching on their phone or laptop. So maybe keep that in mind that your audience may not be getting the best experience compared to what you're intending. What it usually results in, is me muting your commentary. I'm positive this isn't what you want

One of my biggest bugbears is with calling players names wrong. I get it happens, but the best callers get it right more often than not and when they don't they correct themselves instead of pretending they didn't make a mistake. Supporters of any team will appreciate the effort. You may do this anyway, so feel free to disregard if this is something you already do.

I didn't catch the stream yesterday, but well done to your team for fronting up when you may not be feeling the best.
In the AFL, callers have access to multiple screens.. In the VFL, we have our eyes and that's it. It's really handy having other callers with you if you can't identify a player due to angle, distance etc.

I'll agree but disagree on the player names.. best callers get it right more often than wrong.. I can't stand an apology that follows an incorrect name.. at any level or sport. Having umpired for more than 15 years, the time you spend looking back and reflecting on your mistake, opens up the door to make more mistakes.. the game moves too quickly.. and whether you miss ID a player or miss a free kick, forget it, you'll have a chance to redeem yourself 2 seconds later.

That's me.. I've missed a free kick and wish I had paid the correct decision and in that 3 or 4 seconds of reflecting, I missed more free kicks and it can turn a well umpired performance into a disaster in 10 seconds, same as a caller. Forget it, move on.. the game moves too quickly and both calling and umpiring is incredibly challenging and needs full focus.. or BF will tear you a new one 😛

Please enlighten me, what was wrong with my commentary? What specifically upset you?
I spent the previous 5 days in bed laid up with COVID .. getting up and going to the ground was the first time I left the living room in 5 days.. so I'm really intrigued to hear specifically what upset you
sorry you had Covid mate take it out of you. Then come on here and read comments by armchair experts :)

As others said not sure it mic or not you go from cannot hear you so turn volume up to 10
Then my ears now bleeding as I turned it up to 10 and you started screaming :)

Honestly I do not care you call players different names..
Even the AFL commentators I do not like the screaming and carrying on just want to watch the game.

Two Lions Academy members have been elevated to the Lions VFL side for this Saturday’s QClash against the Gold Coast SUNS.

201-centimetre ruck/forward, Tom Gillett will make his VFL debut while fellow big man 195-centimetre Billy Richardson has been selected for his first VFL outing this season.

Two Lions Academy members have been elevated to the Lions VFL side for this Saturday’s QClash against the Gold Coast SUNS.

201-centimetre ruck/forward, Tom Gillett will make his VFL debut while fellow big man 195-centimetre Billy Richardson has been selected for his first VFL outing this season.

Although it hasn't rained for ages in SE Qld, I hope they don't turn the ground into mud like at Kardinia Park!

I hope Richardson plays KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back