2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen quite a few frees paid this year for punching the ball out while contesting the ball in the air that's not a marking contest. Usually there is someone contesting the ball though.
The ball has hit the ground, bounced up in the air, a few players contest, and one player punches the ball out without trying to keep the ball in play. A free is paid and that's the correct decision.
I've 100% seen it paid (correctly) after a ball has bounced because at that point no mark is possible, so it can't be a marking contest. But in analogous examples where the ball is still in the air off the foot, it can be spoiled directly out of bounds even if the player is on their own - Andrews has done it, Buckley has done it, Pearce has done it, usually the fans complain "why not mark it" at the time but it's never a free kick.

Academic in the end given the confirmation it's a down field free which makes more sense.

Edit: usually I do like to quote the rules in these discussions but from what I can find:
1) the AFL doesn't define what a marking contest is (how many players need to be involved), just that there has to be an attempt to mark or spoil.
2) the allowance for spoiling out of bounds doesn't seem to be written into the rules but is an "interpretation".

Last edited:

I've 100% seen it paid (correctly) after a ball has bounced because at that point no mark is possible, so it can't be a marking contest. But in analogous examples where the ball is still in the air off the foot, it can be spoiled directly out of bounds even if the player is on their own - Andrews has done it, Buckley has done it, Pearce has done it, usually the fans complain "why not mark it" at the time but it's never a free kick.

Academic in the end given the confirmation it's a down field free which makes more sense.

Edit: usually I do like to quote the rules in these discussions but from what I can find:
1) the AFL doesn't define what a marking contest is (how many players need to be involved), just that there has to be an attempt to mark or spoil.
2) the allowance for spoiling out of bounds doesn't seem to be written into the rules but is an "interpretation".
I feel the "why not mark it" tends to come up in situations where you're in a contest but you've won it to the extent that going for the mark is safe enough, rather than "noone is near either you or the ball"

Except for Henry Smith who has the right physical attributes and more than enough footy smarts for a big fella.

He just needs more training and experience. Happy to put the time it'll take into him.
Great to see Henry’s continual improvement. (Didn’t see yesterday’s game) Seems to have reasonable skills and game sense. I wonder if he has the aggression and strength to stand up in physical marking contests. Needs to work on the part of his game as he matures. IMHO

Probably there but paid 1 in 100 times
Lesson for me in that what I saw once in real time wasn't what overall occurred.

You can imagine what the Tribunal was like before they had the vision can't you.

Hard to tell on the limited vision here but he appeared to whack him him the guts ,or at least was setting up to do so.

Which wasn't the time in the game to do it. And the ball heading straight to Prior. Ump blew the whistle straight away so the impact was probably there.

Didn't get to watch the game, read over a couple of pages of this thread. Not much said about Jack Payne, did he do enough to be an automatic inclusion for the EF if deemed fit? Is it as simple as Joyce out and Payne in?

Edit- Looking at the stats, Dev Robertson only 12 disposals but had 10 tackles, did he cop a heavy tag? Academy boy Liam Hude 3 goals, impressive?

Last edited:
Nah they have been paying alot of those down the field free kicks in the AFL this year. Some of them they have actually made contact split second after kicking and still paid down the ground.

Yeah I was more referring to VFL level.

It was 100% a free and Abberley will be feeling pretty horrible about it

Didn't get to watch the game, read over a couple of pages of this thread. Not much said about Jack Payne, did he do enough to be an automatic inclusion for the EF if deemed fit? Is it as simple as Joyce out and Payne in?

Edit- Looking at the stats, Dev Robertson only 12 disposals but had 10 tackles, did he cop a heavy tag? Academy boy Liam Hude 3 goals, impressive?
Payne took a few intercept marks, did his job imo.

Hude was great to watch.

No but he got through the game and looked to be moving freely towards the end.
I assume that was the club and his intentions for the game.
So, an automatic selection if he does not pull up sore and trains through the week.

Regarding Dev i did not notice a tag.
I think it was just the Dogs midfield was way better and more damaging than ours.
We won hit outs by a staggering 81-37 Fort had 68 but we only won clearances by 7.
In my opinion the Dogs were the better team, and we struggled to get enough possessions losing disposals by 80 (342-262).
The Dogs also won inside 50's 52-41 on a windy day.

it was blowing a gale but both teams did not get full benefit of the breeze.
In the end the Lions kicked 7 goals with the breeze and the Dogs kicked 8

Saturday, September 7
Second Qualifying Final,
Brisbane Lions (3rd) vs Williamstown (7th)
Brighton Homes Arena, 12:45pm AEST
Broadcaster: AFL.com.au

Saturday, September 7
Second Qualifying Final,
Brisbane Lions (3rd) vs Williamstown (7th)
Brighton Homes Arena, 12:45pm AEST
Broadcaster: AFL.com.au

AFLW on at 11.05 am on Saturday in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All AFL emergencies named. Sharp, Fort & Joyce.
Be interesting to see how many minutes they play.

A few things to do Saturday so not sure how much of the game i will see but will be interested in how Torrent performs.
He played some wing & midfield time last week.
Named in the side as a midfielder but that does not always mean much.
Tunstill not playing so he may get more time in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back