VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel started off kinda disappointing and for the first half I didn't think he had very much impact, second half he was probably the player that turned the tides like you'd want from a senior player like him. Two goals and led the team in tackles alongside Harmes.

Harmes got 20 touches but I thought he had a shocker today. Just nothing went right and it really looked like it impacted his confidence and got in his head. Laid 8 tackles so he had some intent but he was not good at all.

It was a pretty damp day today so it's not ideal conditions for talls but Busslinger looked great. Beat his man pretty handily and snuck forward for his first goal.

Khamis was very good in defence today, defended well on a day where it's tough to be a one grab player.

Coffield was also very good as an interceptors, looks fits but a little rusty.

Of our notable defenders, I noticed Cleary the least although for a defender it's not necessarily bad for that to happen. He was still solid and gave a good showing on return.

McNeil kicked two, probably should have had 4 as there were two gettable shots that went through for behinds. Worked hard out there but I do feel he needs to attempt more tackles.

Poulter had a typical Poutler VFL game, looked good and does some nice stuff on the outside. Just can't seem to make the next step

Tony Scott swapped between high half forward and the wing. Doesn't have a problem getting involved at VFL level and he's an ideal depth player.

Garcia was.... fine I suppose but he never really shifted into third gear and we know he's capable of much more.

Our other smalls did get on the scoreboard and laid 12 tackles between them but it was just too slick and greasy to be clean out there. I think that next year we should consider training Jones with the defenders and seeing what he can do off of the back flank since he's contracted and not looking super likely as a forward.

Smith went down sore but played out the game. Was decent overall

Croft kicked the three goals but two of them were from free kicks and one was a joe the goose goal. It was just not a good day for tall forwards as I think there were maybe single digits contested marks for both teams.

It looks like they'd identified Craig-Peters as the person to stop as they had Greenwood sitting on him at all times.

Daniel started off kinda disappointing and for the first half I didn't think he had very much impact, second half he was probably the player that turned the tides like you'd want from a senior player like him. Two goals and led the team in tackles alongside Harmes.

Harmes got 20 touches but I thought he had a shocker today. Just nothing went right and it really looked like it impacted his confidence and got in his head. Laid 8 tackles so he had some intent but he was not good at all.

It was a pretty damp day today so it's not ideal conditions for talls but Busslinger looked great. Beat his man pretty handily and snuck forward for his first goal.

Khamis was very good in defence today, defended well on a day where it's tough to be a one grab player.

Coffield was also very good as an interceptors, looks fits but a little rusty.

Of our notable defenders, I noticed Cleary the least although for a defender it's not necessarily bad for that to happen. He was still solid and gave a good showing on return.

McNeil kicked two, probably should have had 4 as there were two gettable shots that went through for behinds. Worked hard out there but I do feel he needs to attempt more tackles.

Poulter had a typical Poutler VFL game, looked good and does some nice stuff on the outside. Just can't seem to make the next step

Tony Scott swapped between high half forward and the wing. Doesn't have a problem getting involved at VFL level and he's an ideal depth player.

Garcia was.... fine I suppose but he never really shifted into third gear and we know he's capable of much more.

Our other smalls did get on the scoreboard and laid 12 tackles between them but it was just too slick and greasy to be clean out there. I think that next year we should consider training Jones with the defenders and seeing what he can do off of the back flank since he's contracted and not looking super likely as a forward.

Smith went down sore but played out the game. Was decent overall

Croft kicked the three goals but two of them were from free kicks and one was a joe the goose goal. It was just not a good day for tall forwards as I think there were maybe single digits contested marks for both teams.

It looks like they'd identified Craig-Peters as the person to stop as they had Greenwood sitting on him at all times.
Agree with most of that.
Croft's Joe the Goose was actually pretty clever as he had a man to beat up close between him and the goal. He tapped it cleverly without taking immediate possession and than turned his man and ran into the open goal. That demonstrated some real footy smarts IMO.

Pouter looks to have plateaued. He still can't navigate traffic.

Impressed with Busslinger. He's mobile and has good footy nous. He'd probably get ragdolled against the likes of Tom Hawkins but that should not be his usual role. I reckon he's ready for a debut, and just waiting for a casual vacancy to appear in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t delist McNeil. He has had a solid vfl season has good speed courageous and still only 23.
Cheap back up. We have some top end talent that take a lot salary cap and mcneil is a good back up
Our depth has gone well past him. He’s gone I’d say. We always need a turnover of 5-6 and there aren’t a heap of stand out candidates.

Trade - Smith
Retire - Keath? Duryea?
Delist - Bedendo, McNeil

Our depth has gone well past him. He’s gone I’d say. We always need a turnover of 5-6 and there aren’t a heap of stand out candidates.

Trade - Smith
Retire - Keath? Duryea?
Delist - Bedendo, McNeil
Keath is likely to stay another year, the rest looks likely.

How does Rypstra look? Anywhere near it?

He's on a 6 month contract so only a limited time to prove himself and establish a spot on the list for next year.
I just watched the VFL replay. I thought He was ok today. Applied some good pressure. He burnt Arty a beauty in the second quarter. Still finding his feet. Wasn’t a great day for fwds. Wet & slippery and it looked like kangas had a loose behind the ball most of the game.

Trade - Smith
Retire - Keath? Duryea?
Delist - Bedendo, McNeil
Wonder if one of Scott, Rypstra, Clarke or Khamis will be added to that list - only 2 delistings does seem unlikely

Wonder if one of Scott, Rypstra, Clarke or Khamis will be added to that list - only 2 delistings does seem unlikely
Clarke I doubt gets delisted. He is 20 in second year and one preseason under his belt.
He has performed better than the other smalls in vfl all yr. Including McNeill and he is 3/4 yrs younger.
Not sure what club will do but the younger guys in Rypstra Clarke Arty should be given some time.
Obviously a few things behind the scenes play apart also.
Wouldn’t be chasing a key back after Lobb’s game today.

Clarke I doubt gets delisted. He is 20 in second year and one preseason under his belt.
He has performed better than the other smalls in vfl all yr. Including McNeill and he is 3/4 yrs younger.
Not sure what club will do but the younger guys in Rypstra Clarke Arty should be given some time.
Obviously a few things behind the scenes play apart also.
Wouldn’t be chasing a key back after Lobb’s game today.
100% I really hope we persist with Charlie, very smart player and plays with a lot of spirit, just spitballing a few OOC names out there
Also love his willingness to be unselfish and set up his team mates, have noticed elements of selfishness in most of our other young smalls

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back