List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Current draft picks: 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72 (total points: 2938)

List changes:
Out:
7 - Domanic Akuei (Delisted), David Cuningham (Delisted), Caleb Marchbank (Delisted), Jack Martin (Delisted), Alex Mirkov (Delisted), Matt Owies (Trade - WCE), Matt Kennedy (Trade - WB)
In: 1 - Nick Haynes (GWS - UFA)
Uncontracted: 0
Retained SSP/MSD Players: 1 - Cooper Lord
Upgraded Rookie: 0

List status:
Senior - 32 (36-38)
Rookie - 6 (0-6)
Cat-B Rookie - 1 (0-2)
Total - 39 (44)

Free spots - 4 senior plus one Cat-B rookie

Note - Matt Duffy (Ireland) likely to take the free Cat-B rookie
Note 2 - Jordan Boyd (Rookie) needs to be upgraded, and will likely take one senior spot

Effective free spots - 3 senior, 1 rookie

As it stands, we can take 4 picks to the draft - 3, 38, 63, 68.

If we make 2 further cuts, we can take all 6 - 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72.

Those two delistings must come from Jack Carroll, Sam Durdin, and Matt Carroll, all who remain uncontracted. It can be any of these three, as it is limited by both (i) the maximum of 38 on the primary list; AND (ii) the maximum of 42 on primary+rookie (not counting Cat-B).

How we approach this will depend on what we intend to do with pick 38. "Pick Swap" trading opens tomorrow, so potentially, we could swap it out during that period (maybe for a future). Swapping it for an earlier pick will be difficult, as we don't have a lot of leverage to do so - unless we're prepared to move pick 3 down, which I think is highly unlikely.

There's a further opportunity to do a "live trade" of pick 38 on draft night.

Or, we can just leave it. In which case:
(i) a bid comes in for Ben Camporeale before our pick 38 (it won't be 38 by then, but wherever it is). In this case, pick 38 will be used for matching Ben, and we'll get a bit left over, probably enough for another pick in the 60s, but that will be a bit of a waste.
(ii) we just use it on Ben anyway - unlikely!!
(iii) we use it on another player available at that pick, and match bids on Ben and Lucas with the remaining picks.

It's a bit of a lottery as to whether a bid will come in or not. It's around the mark for where Ben should go. So you'd think we'd have some sort of plan to offload that pick. But who knows. It was a strange trade for us to make.

Let's look at where pick 38 is likely to end up. I posted this earlier:

Situation now:
Brisbane: 27, 34, 42, 43, 49, 60, 66
Essendon: 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54, 65
Gold Coast: 39, 41, 51, 61, 70, 76, 78

I'm still of the opinion Brisbane will down-trade 27, but let's say there's still two of their picks that come in before our 38, and both of those get consumed by the Ashcroft bid. Similarly, let's assume Essendon's first two picks go the same way (again, they could potentially downtrade). But that makes 4 picks that are consumed before ours. However, there are also picks inserted for Ashcroft, Lombard, Marshall and Kako. So 4 - 4 = 0. 38 stays at 38! It will not come in higher than that. It may come in a pick or two lower (39 or 40).

At pick 38, it's very much in the danger zone for a bid. It will then get consumed for matching Ben. We'll then have a 3rd pick at 63 (which will come in by quite a bit - maybe around 55). If a bid comes in for Lucas, we also grab that, otherwise, we'll rookie him, and potentially take a 4th selection in the draft.

Effectively though, unless we offload 38, we've probably traded Kennedy for pick 63 (~55), which is a bit sad imo.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough what further changes we make to the list. I expect 1-2 more delistings, probably Sam Durdin, then Matt Carroll. I think we keep Jack.

Edit/Addition:
Matching Bid after 38
Ok, say we get to use our pick 38 on another player, no bid came in for Ben. Yay! But he gets a bid at pick 39. Do we have enough to pay with our remaining picks?

Pick 39 is 446 points. With the F/S discount, that comes down to 257 points to match.

Our next pick is 63. But as discussed in the previous section above, by the time that bid comes in, it will have come in to around pick 55. Maybe even a little lower. Pick 55 nets us 207 points, leaving 50 points still owing. We then go to the following pick, currently 68. That will have come in to maybe 58 or 59. Pick 59 is 158 points, so we'll easily cover Ben with those two picks, and have a couple of picks spare (in fact the extra points will earn us another late pick ~65).

Those remaining picks will be enough to cover a bid on Lucas at about pick 42. It's not likely he gets a bid that high, and if he does, we take a small deficit on our 2025 round 3 selection.

Does that mean we can use one or more of those late picks to bundle with 38 to move 38 higher?
Possibly. If we move 38 higher, we'd have to recalculate the whole kaboodle based on a following bid. e.g. we get 34 from Brisbane. What if a bid on Ben comes at 35? Without going through the whole steps above, in that case, the same two picks 63, 68 (~55/59) would be sufficient to match. We'd have enough left over to match a bid on Lucas at about 46 or so.

If instead, we took away say pick 69, and used it to combine with 38 to move up the order, we'd still be fine matching Ben with 63 and 68. But if a bid came in on Lucas before 57, we'd have to take a small deficit into 2025. Any bid after 57 we can match for free.

Made some additions to this post to cover bid matching. Hope this helps! (And hope my calculations are good!)

Not a bad idea. Do we let Sam Durdin go for Tomlinson?

McGovern and Haynes can't be expected to play every game next season.

That leaves Silvagni, Durdin and Young.

Do not want to move Kemp back there in those cases, need him forward.
That’s what I was thinking, Tomlinson in for Durdin - if he plays senior footy lovely, if he doesn’t he’s a good insurance policy

Looking at our list it’s a lot better than I thought it was.

If we can stay healthy, can’t see why we can’t contend for an AFL & VFL Premiership.

* players that can play multiple roles at AFL level.

Defenders
KPB:
Weitering & Young
3rd Tall: McGovern*, Hayes, Silvagni* & Duffy
General: Cowan, Newman, M.Carroll,L.Camporeale & Wilson
Small: Saad & Boyd

Midfield:
Ruck: TDK*, O’Keeffe & Pittonet
Inside: Cripps, Lord, Hewett & B.Camporeale
Balanced: Walsh, Cerra
Wing: Acres, Binns, O.Hollands*, Cottrell* & Docherty*

Forwards:
KPF: Curnow, McKay* & Lemmey
3rd Tall: Kemp* & Moir
General: E Hollands*, Williams* & Monahan
Small: Fogarty*, Motlop, Durdin & Fantasia

Draft:
Picks 3 & 38

Linked DFA:
KPD:
Granger-Barass
KPF: McMahon & Foster

Lord should play every week.Moir once he builds a tank same.

B Campo maybe 5-6 games

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Moir won't miss unless his preseason doesn't go well. A much better player than Fogarty, Cottrell, Fantasia even if half fit.

I'd personally go with McMahon, who can play both ends.
There is nothing stopping us from taking them both.

Durdin and Matt Carroll being delisted opens two spots on the rookie list

Also Jack Carroll on the main list. I'm not opposed to him staying but I'm just as happy to move him on to open a list spot up

IMO Austen did well with who he brought in, got rid of and the draft strategy. It all makes sense given our list age profile, salary cap position and looming expansion drafts. I’m a bit worried about pick 38 but hopefully he has a plan to trade up or back with it. I am very relieved we didn’t trade picks for Petracca or Houston. My only gripe is that a lot of this should have happened last year or even in 2022 so I feel like we’ve lost a couple years. Same goes for the high performance / strength and conditioning department. Both instances of repeating the same thing expecting a different result makes me think Lloyd isn’t up to it.

Either way next year is make or break for the club. We really need to have a 15+ win season, with none of these falling over the line wins and finishing comfortably inside the top 4 if not top 2. If we have another year like 2024 where we fumble our way to 12-13 unconvincing wins then I feel we have to make significant changes in 2025 both on and off the field because if that is the ceiling of a list rebuild started a decade ago then everyone should be expendable. Sounds a bit melodramatic but the harsh reality is at the moment this era of the club has produced about as much as Richmond did during the Matthew Richardson era.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back