List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ben gets a bid before pick 38, we'll likely trade it out for a future - so we may end up only taking 3 in the ND anyway.

I guess my point was that if we choose to trade it out beforehand, it creates a list spot for a DFA. So we take 3 in the draft, a DFA, and get an extra 2nd round pick in the 2025 draft.

I'd be shocked if we traded it out before the Draft

Brisbane have delisted Jaxon Prior and advised mid-season draftee Darcy Craven of its intention to re-select him through the rookie draft for the 2025 season.
Not sure why Craven isn't just given a contract?

Running under the assumption we want to take at least 2 picks before the Campo twins, we still have another 3 list spots available.

Not sure where the Boyd elevation sits with the new rookie list rules, but it won't really impact us immediately because we're currently at the Cat A rookie list minimum.

Boyd must be elevated.

List status:
Primary - 31 (36-38)
Rookie - 4 (0-6)
Cat-B Rookie - 1 (0-2)
Total - 36 (44)

Free spots - 5 primary, 2 rookie, plus one Cat-B rookie

Note - Matt Duffy (Ireland) likely to take the free Cat-B rookie
Note 2 - Jordan Boyd (Rookie) needs to be upgraded, and will likely take one senior spot

Effective free spots - 4 primary, 3 rookie

4 primary - pick 3, pick 38 (if we get to use it), Ben, Lucas (if bid on).

We might add a DFA beforehand, which would take us to 37 on the primary list if Lucas is bid on. But we could then move another player (Fanta) to the rookie list after the ND. If Lucas doesn't get a bid, we can automatically rookie him, and no need to move a primary list player to the rookie list.

I can't find the rule about cutting a player post-Draft.
Have you got a link?
Cheers.

"But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

In a memo to clubs, the AFL said that there is "no forecast changes to list sizes for 2022" and that the one-off rule was brought in last season due to the changes that came late in the piece with list sizes and structures.

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022. "

AFAIK, there's been no further change to this rule since the 'tweak' above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By going to 38/4?
But they couldn't re-rookie him then as they say they intend

You don't actually go to 38/4, you just get the extra 2 picks to give you the ability to.

Say you have 36/6
You cut 4 Senior players to be 32/6 and you have 4 ND picks.
Then you cut 3 rookies to be 32/3, you now have 6 ND picks and 1 Rookie pick available, even if your intention is to take 4 ND picks and 3 Rookie picks.

You don't actually go to 38/4, you just get the extra 2 picks to give you the ability to.

Say you have 36/6
You cut 4 Senior players to be 32/6 and you have 4 ND picks.
Then you cut 3 rookies to be 32/3, you now have 6 ND picks and 1 Rookie pick available, even if your intention is to take 4 ND picks and 3 Rookie picks.
Yep. Think I figured it out in my edit

Brisbane have delisted Jaxon Prior and advised mid-season draftee Darcy Craven of its intention to re-select him through the rookie draft for the 2025 season.
Not sure why Craven isn't just given a contract?
It is to do with the picks available. Up to 38 main list spots, so they need to have vacancies on their list to use any points to match the bids that are coming. If they leave two rookies on the list, they will drop the final two picks, and their point value from their draft hand. They have a monumental amount to match for Ashcroft and Marshall and need every point.

Let me take you back to 2014, the single worst draft/trade/recruitment period by any club in the history of the league.

Traded out Pick 7 & 19 for Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley

Pick 19 - Blaine Boekhurst
Pick 28 - Dillon Vojo-Rainbow
Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt
Rookie draft - Billy Gowers, Brad Walsh, Tom Fields, Fraser Russell
Delisted free agent - Matthew Dick

Only positive was Liam Jones for Pick 46.
Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

I’m actually fine. No really, I am.

IMG_3518.gif

Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

I’m actually fine. No really, I am.

View attachment 2150349
Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

Boyd must be elevated.

List status:
Primary - 31 (36-38)
Rookie - 4 (0-6)
Cat-B Rookie - 1 (0-2)
Total - 36 (44)

Free spots - 5 primary, 2 rookie, plus one Cat-B rookie

Note - Matt Duffy (Ireland) likely to take the free Cat-B rookie
Note 2 - Jordan Boyd (Rookie) needs to be upgraded, and will likely take one senior spot

Effective free spots - 4 primary, 3 rookie

4 primary - pick 3, pick 38 (if we get to use it), Ben, Lucas (if bid on).

We might add a DFA beforehand, which would take us to 37 on the primary list if Lucas is bid on. But we could then move another player (Fanta) to the rookie list after the ND. If Lucas doesn't get a bid, we can automatically rookie him, and no need to move a primary list player to the rookie list.
We need to get over this infatuation with a DFA. Won't happen.

At the moment we have 5 primary list vacancies.

That means we can utilise 5 picks in the ND.

The rule states you must have the number of vacancies for draft picks to be used. That is why carroll was always being delisted. The only way he was ever going to survive, is if Kemp was traded.

The 3 4th rounders will be used for points for Campos.

We use pick 3, and whatever pick 38 turns out to be.

Once this is done, we then upgrade boyd at the end of the draft.

In the RD, we probably take next best available undated kid with the first pick. McMahon with the 2nd pick.

Only curveball is if lucas goes in the RD.

Save 1 rooke spot for SSP after the drafts.

Let me take you back to 2014, the single worst draft/trade/recruitment period by any club in the history of the league.

Traded out Pick 7 & 19 for Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley

Pick 19 - Blaine Boekhurst
Pick 28 - Dillon Vojo-Rainbow
Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt
Rookie draft - Billy Gowers, Brad Walsh, Tom Fields, Fraser Russell
Delisted free agent - Matthew Dick

Only positive was Liam Jones for Pick 46.
..somebody get me a bucket

The rule states you must have the number of vacancies for draft picks to be used. That is why carroll was always being delisted. The only way he was ever going to survive, is if Kemp was traded.

In the RD, we probably take next best available undated kid with the first pick. McMahon with the 2nd pick.

While I agree that it's very unlikely that we take a DFA, we actually have 6 Senior List spots available, and 7 overall.
Although it's most likely that we add 4 Senior List players and 3 Rookies.

Infatuation? ffs... I don't care one way or another if we do or don't. But it is very reasonable speculation that we might.
Not quite.
Incorrect.
Primary list can consist of between 36 and 38 players. Primary + Rookie (not inc. Cat-B), maximum 42. The draft picks in the ND is determined by both of these limits. It isn't just primary list vacancies. As a result, we can take 7 picks to the draft (obvs won't use them all).
It's 4 x 4th rounders.
We have several options for 38 - trade now, live trade, trade upon bid, use it on a player if no bid. It could bring us an extra player, or could end up a future pick.
End of ND, yes.
Possible. Also possible we use one in the PSD. Also possible we save 2 for SSP. Also possible we get a DFA, and only one Rookie/PSD...
Not a curveball at all. He gets rookied.
See above.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back