List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Infatuation? ffs... I don't care one way or another if we do or don't. But it is very reasonable speculation that we might.

Not quite.

Incorrect.

Primary list can consist of between 36 and 38 players. Primary + Rookie (not inc. Cat-B), maximum 42. The draft picks in the ND is determined by both of these limits. It isn't just primary list vacancies. As a result, we can take 7 picks to the draft (obvs won't use them all).

It's 4 x 4th rounders.

We have several options for 38 - trade now, live trade, trade upon bid, use it on a player if no bid. It could bring us an extra player, or could end up a future pick.

End of ND, yes.

Possible. Also possible we use one in the PSD. Also possible we save 2 for SSP. Also possible we get a DFA, and only one Rookie/PSD...

Not a curveball at all. He gets rookied.

See above.
I recall afl.com mentioning that we would not take any delisted free agents and would only use rookie/ssp picks after the ND. Things can change but i believe that is the plan for now

I recall afl.com mentioning that we would not take any delisted free agents and would only use rookie/ssp picks after the ND. Things can change but i believe that is the plan for now
Before or after yesterday's delistings?

May well be the case that we don't, but 3 delistings (rather than 2) opens up the possibility for a DFA. Guess we'll know soon enough. DFA period starts in a week.

Before or after yesterday's delistings?

May well be the case that we don't, but 3 delistings (rather than 2) opens up the possibility for a DFA. Guess we'll know soon enough. DFA period starts in a week.
It was before. I think the plan is to save as much salary as possible but as you say we will find out soon enough

Stupid question coming up (I'm not across all the draft's finer points)
If pick 72 hasn't been used in a points bundle for Ben, wouldn't it be better to use it on Lucas rather than risk losing him in the RD?

If pick 72 hasn't been used in a points bundle for Ben, wouldn't it be better to use it on Lucas rather than risk losing him in the RD?
You can basically pre-list a FS once they slide through to the rookie draft these days.

Noah Cumberland - thoughts (inconsistent and brain fades but has some talent as a forward).
Another for the SSP trials > VFL?
I consider him a worthwhile talent but many posters on here think he's absolutely rubbish so a hard one to judge.

I'd be happy to see him scheduled as a pre season SSP for us to see how he'd go next to H and Charles

We had players down for various reasons including injury, but I'd have Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, TDK, Newman, Weitering, Saad, McGovern, Cerra, Acres, Docherty ahead of Chugga, but sure, it is all opinion, and maybe I could have said top 8/9/10, but I really just mean our A grade players (by pedigree or talent, not necessarily 2024 form).

I love Kennedy and I defended him at every turn. Consistent, honest footballer with some strong traits. The one paced midfield was part of the reason we failed in the end, and Kennedy left to play midfield more often.

Problem is that our one paced midfield didn't have Kennedy in it, so he becomes the scapegoat?

That same one paced midfield, with him playing far more on the ball, got us to a prelim last year.

Noah Cumberland - thoughts (inconsistent and brain fades but has some talent as a forward).
Another for the SSP trials > VFL?

He's an interesting one. Was genuinely good as a debutant and had 32 shots at goal (19.13) in just 9 matches in 2022 in a middle of the table team. That's quite impressive - 4x matches with 5 or more shots at goal that season.

As a point of comparison, Matt Owies has never had 5 shots at goal in a match in 72 matches (Owie is a very reliable converter, though - so lots of 3.0 and 3.1 efforts)

But as a contrast, Cumberland has been genuinely awful since. This year he barely made the firsts despite Richmond having a thousand injuries and when he did play he averaged 6 disposals, 1 shot at goal, and less than two tackles in 7 games.

Our own Corey Durdin averaged 6.85 disposals, 1 shot at goal and 2.2 tackles in his 11 full games this year - Cumberland was worse that Durdin (who is the luckiest player to be on an AFL list right now...)

If there was even a sneaking suspicion that Cumberland could get back to 2022 levels it might be worth a shot, but his stagnation is pretty bad

Slow one-paced midfielders aren't the answer in 2025.

No place for him in the middle alongside Cripps.

Hewett a better midfielder and even he is on the fringe given his lack of pace.

And he's not good enough to play as a permanent forward.

Sulking it up after being subbed in the elim final was it for me.

How would you have felt if he was sitting in the dugout laughing after being dragged before we'd even scored a point?

And IMO Hewett is not a better midfielder than Kennedy.

Problem is that our one paced midfield didn't have Kennedy in it, so he becomes the scapegoat?

That same one paced midfield, with him playing far more on the ball, got us to a prelim last year.
Incorrect. First half of the 2023 season, when we were on the verge of sacking everyone, he played midfield. Second half of the season he was mostly injured and when he did play it was predominantly as a forward.

How would you have felt if he was sitting in the dugout laughing after being dragged before we'd even scored a point?

And IMO Hewett is not a better midfielder than Kennedy.
Hewett is a much better defensive midfielder than Kennedy. Can sit on a player, curb his influence and still get a fair bit of it. That's not to say that he is a better player though.

Hewett would also not have got us pick 38 either.

I think they get automatically selected in the RD if they make it that far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't ever think he was a scapegoat, he wanted to play midfield not midfield, ruck, forward and back so the club
said best look outside for that opportunity.

The club wasn't booting him it was just being honest regarding his desire to just be a midfielder.

It's pretty obvious that from the club's standpoint he was superfluous to requirements in the middle but were quite happy to keep him and use him as they saw fit in other areas.

DGB & Phillips real options being considered. Interested in Charlie McCartin

J.Carroll knew weeks ago but hoping for trade. WCE cooled off after being interested

Durdin will be given chance to prove fitness over pre season after looking at options for soft tissue injuries. Much like Cerra

Pick 3 not moving. Pick 38 will be used on draft or moved to Future (is plan)
I'll take Ethan Phillips' 1 game over Grainger-Barras. Was on SEN today talking about his time at Hawks.
Said they told him he had another year if Barass deal didn't go through, but was squeezed out by him.

He also said (his own words) that Mitchell gave him 4/5 for his 1 game.
Looking at the Stats for the single game he didnt go too bad.

The 24-year-old previously starred for Port Melbourne in the VFL across the past few years, emerging as one of the premier state league backs in 2022, featuring in the VFL Team of the Year and claiming the prestigious Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal as the competition’s best young talent. Phillips was again resolute across 18 VFL outings last season, averaging 11 intercept possessions, 4.9 intercept marks, 4.6 spoils and 17.6 disposals at 83.2% efficiency per game.

I think they get automatically selected in the RD if they make it that far.

If we use all our picks to match a Ben bid and still have an open list spot that pick will just slide to the end of the draft. So we can match a bid on lucas or pick him there if still available (on main list). Or alternatively let him slide through and list him as a rookie.

Also, if a bid comes after 40 for lucas or ben we just use next available pick. Points no longer a factor.

Re Lucas. If we pass on our last pick thinking we could take him in the rookie draft. And someone picks him after, then we are stuffed.

Hard to make that happen to get him to go to the rookie draft without anyone taking him after our last pick.

I think just take him with the last pick. Dont muck around, and it wouldnt be nice to leave him up in the air.

I dont know how it works exactly, i would have thought no one had to take him at all in the ND then we can rookie him. I dont want us to risk it.

If we use all our picks to match a Ben bid and still have an open list spot that pick will just slide to the end of the draft
Further to what I was discussing with Stamos yesterday, there could be a tactic to be slightly short of points for Ben to ensure we do have the last pick in the draft. That way we can use it on a slider and not risk Lucas.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back